Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probably the wrong forum and there's probably a million other posts like this, I just don't have time to find them!

My new snuggums is five months old and I love love love him! But I feel so far behind on housework, etc. I feel like I'll never catch up.

I keep trying to prioritize, but it seems with every step through my house a new priority rears up.....

I MUST write the thank you notes for the baptism presents (week and a half ago), now, I'll just clear a spot on the table....let's put this dish in the dishwasher....oh, full of clean dishes.....I MUST clear out the dishwasher, let's see some of them are wet....oh the dishrack is full, I MUST put away the dishes on the dishrack....."MOM! I pooped in my underpants!" .....off to the bathroom, poopy accident dealt with, good lord would you look at that laundry hamper, there must be three loads crammed in there...I MUST do a load of laundry right now! Oh, gotta, move the dry out of the dryer and the wet out of the washer, need an empty hamper for the dry clean clothes...oh, the hamper is already full of dry clean clothes, I MUST fold and put away clothes.....why is the baby so fussy, oh it must be time to nurse again....now, what was I about to do?

My grout is moldy, my walls are dirty, my floors are gross, I keep telling myself that this precious time goes so fast, before I know it, I'll have all the time in the world for housework, but I feel like I can hardly keep above total implosion level.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Yes yes yes yes yes. I feel so bad for DH because he works 10 hours, comes home and helps me clean the house. Argh. But I just keep telling myself, which is more important....having a clean house or spending time with my children. Of course spending time with my children, so the house can wait.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm so with you here!!! I do one thing move on to the next and in five minutes you cant tell what I've done and what I haven't done. It never ends. As a matter of fact I'm ignoring the mess right now!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My DS is 22 months, and I still feel this way! In the beginning, I never had the time between nursing and just general life maintenance for DS and me. Now when I do clean (with DS's help of course!), it's just dirty again! I can't catch up on the clutter and toys and general toddler disasters enough to get the real deep down cleaning done. Heck, we moved into this house at the end of April, and we haven't even hung pictures or finished unpacking everything yet
:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
For me messy house = happy child... we spend time together and actually, after baby goes down, DH and I get some "quality time" doing the dishes or folding laundry.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You're not alone. I don't think I've balanced my checkbook since DS was born (he's 3yo now). And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm with you on that one! Between my 3 1/2 year old and my 11 month old, I don't get much done. I wasn't a great housekeeper to begin with, but ds1 won't let me vacuum when he's around and ds2 tries to attack and eat all of the dog hair and dust that I sweep up when he's around, and things jsut generally go better for all of us if we get out of the house a lot. That leaves me with after they go to bed, at which point I just want to relax, read a book and have some alone time (yes, I'm an introvert). Dh works A LOT. He acttually super thoroughly cleaned the kitchen yesterday when he was off. I ended up having to take the boys out of the house for a while...

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
In terms of being caught up, the last 15 months (all of ds' life), I haven't been even close a single time. If I am getting close (hah!) to being caught up with housework, I am falling behind at work. If I am getting close to being caught up at work (hah!), I am falling behind at home. I like to think that in the first year with a new baby in the house, the expectation in the world is that people won't be caught up (though I know at my work, I have to be on top of it and people definitely didn't give me a year to be a little behind...which has been the most difficult part of it altogether...I really want to cry about the whole thing). My situation is a bit unique in that I had no notice that I was "having a baby" until he was 1.5 days old. All in that day, I got called and told I had a foster-potentially-adoptive placement, and met him for the first time, and had to keep on working (maternity leave is for adoptions, not foster placements, and we didn't finalize our adoption until ds was 13 months). I would sit by ds' jaundice bassinet in the special care nursery, and while he would be soaking up the lights, I would be working and holding his little hand all at the same time. I never got a chance to even catch my breath. So I relate in the most extreme sense.

Hugs to you, mama. I know this isn't your first time around, but I remember five and six months as being an especially all-encompasing time of ds' life. I hope you are able to give yourself permission to just not feel guilty about leaving the house on the messy side and simply enjoying this precious and oh-so-fleeting time with your infant...and really all your kids. You only get *this time,* this precious infancy, with *this baby* once. Having said that, I know you are trying to keep that in mind, but it does feel like if you slow down an inch, the world will come caving in on you. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but I actually have a couple of times in a moment of total I-don't-know-what-else-to-do, hired someone for help for a limited time. We hadn't budgeted for it, so I took from savings to do it, which wasn't a happy thing at all, but even if you hire a college student to come and help at $10/hour, you can get 10 hours for just $100...which in the grand scheme of things, well, is worth it. Think of how much you could have someone do for you in 10 hours, to help you get to the point where things didn't feel like they were falling apart. Dishes, scrubbing the grout, etc. are all easy things for someone to help with (sorting papers, is another thing). And even if that is the only 10 hours you could ever manage to afford, you'd have more of a fresh start. I had a young college student come and work in my landscaping/yard a little. (I still need to get someone to come help me clean the house, but that's another story). Just a thought.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtonscricket
I MUST write the thank you notes for the baptism presents (week and a half ago), now, I'll just clear a spot on the table....let's put this dish in the dishwasher....oh, full of clean dishes.....I MUST clear out the dishwasher, let's see some of them are wet....oh the dishrack is full, I MUST put away the dishes on the dishrack....."MOM! I pooped in my underpants!" .....off to the bathroom, poopy accident dealt with, good lord would you look at that laundry hamper, there must be three loads crammed in there...I MUST do a load of laundry right now! Oh, gotta, move the dry out of the dryer and the wet out of the washer, need an empty hamper for the dry clean clothes...oh, the hamper is already full of dry clean clothes, I MUST fold and put away clothes.....why is the baby so fussy, oh it must be time to nurse again....now, what was I about to do?
Are you living my life? This is pretty much the thoughts going through my head. I figure the kids won't remember a clean house, but will remember the time we spend together. I try not to let it bother me. Doesn't always work though.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
:

Quote:
Babies Don't Keep

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
my house is a M E S S ! I work part time from home in the mornings. I have no time to clean. I just barely keep up with washing all the cloth diapers. To me though, that is the most important thing, so the rest can wait. BUT I definately know how you are feeling!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVC
:
I have the last paragraph framed on my wall in my hallway, I loove it!!
And yes, I'm with you all, I also do daycare, so some days I feel like behind isn't even the right word for what my house looks like!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Completely behind. It makes me sick to my stomach sometimes.

One thing that helped me in terms of keeping my husband happy was finding out that he didn't care if the bathroom sink was clean or if dinner was cooking--he wanted the laundry done. Ok, so I switched my efforts. Kept him happy and kept me less stressed and we have clean clothes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Both DH & I work full-time - 4 10 hour days. DH is home with DD on Mondays and I'm home with her on Fridays (we are both there Sat/Sun). And yet nothing is getting done.....

Evidently it shows (of course not really evidently - it really does show) because MIL has offered her cleaning woman (MIL has parkinsons and can't do much housework anymore) a few times since DD was born - usually right before my Mom comes to visit. I always take her up on it - so that means that my house has actually been clean uhmmmmm maybe 3 times in the last 2 years - I mean really cleaned - not just running a quick vacum or quickly cleaning the toilets!!

I have no idea how I'm going to do it with 2 kids....And to top it off DH and I got into an "discussion" last night about What I was going to do on maternity leave for 12 wks. I said taking care of baby, healing and quilting....he got upset and asked about housework etc...then I got upset because I never even thought for a minute that I would stop doing what I already do (other than work outside the home) - so saying cleaning house/laudry etc never even crossed my mind to say. Yes, he does a good share of house/yard work also...usually....although for some reason he can't do anything on Mondays when he has DD and I seem to be able to at least get the vacuming done (have long haired dog - so house has to be vacumed often).

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
My house is a wreck, and so is the yard. Weeds in the flower beds as tall as my waist. The lawn only gets mowed because we pay a neighboor boy. But it hasn't been edged in weeks. Our floors desperately need sweeping/mopping. We eat out way too much. I only barely keep up on the dishes. There is a large mound of clean laundry waiting to be folded...I could go on and on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is me too!
: I have clutter everywhere and there's a PILE of sheets in the closet. I hate folding sheets!! I go on a mad spree of cleaning/decluttering sometimes but you can't really tell. DH has learned to live with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts