Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 3 y.o. DS sleeps in a big bed in his room with either DH or me...we have been switching nights for a long time b/c DS doesn't sleep well and no one gets any sleep if we all sleep together. Anyway, DS insists on sleeping ONLY on my left side and ONLY on my arm, totally plastered to my body. Which means I have to stay in the same position all night with my back all crooked and he keeps kneeing my belly. It's driving me nuts. I just want to toss him across the room! I am at the point where I am getting big enough that I need more space, and I don't really like anyone touching me when I'm pregnant. At least he isn't nursing all night long, but I'm really getting tired of cosleeping and wishing he would at least sleep a foot away from me at least. He just fusses and whines all night long, he doesn't really wake up anymore (unless no one is there with him, then he wakes up every half hour). I am such a better parent on the days after I slept alone in my bed. Argh! DH is going to be sleeping with him every night after the baby is born, mostly because the baby will wake DS up constantly I'm sure (did I mention DS is a terrible sleeper?) DH has been taking more nights lately but that just makes him grumpy too. Anyone else have an older DC who still doesn't sleep well? How are you going to handle it after your baby is born?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
We had to quit cosleeping about a month ago because none of us were getting any sleep and I am REALLY cranky when pregnant and sleeep deprived.
We tried taking turns in his room and that wasn't working either. He kept pushing me out of the bed, so one night I had enough and said "fine you want to sleep alone- then sleep alone" We haven't heard a peep since. A couple of nights he woke up because he had a bad dream, but he just wants Daddy to rock him for a second and put him back in his bed. If one of us tried to get in the bed he has a ring-tailed fit. Now he goes to bed WILLINGLY and gets in his bed and cuddles his pillow and goes to sleep.

: I'm not saying that would work for you, but our 2yo is finally sleeping though the night, and he NEVER did that before.
Maybe he wants more room too?

I can't stant to have someone touching me while Im alsleep during this pregnancy. We even got a king sized bed so I would have more room

Anyway, the whole point of this long rambling post is to say that I hear ya! Hands off and let the mama sleep.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
We've been having issues with our girls (4yo and 2 yo) lately. It is super frustrating. When I was pregnant with the 2 yo, I had to tell dd that I needed her to not touch me, it sounds horrible, but I needed my space, I also don't really want to be touched when I'm pregnant and sleeping in one position with a hot sweaty kiddo squished up next to me just annoyed me more than anything. She was ticked off for a few days, but she got used to sleeping near me rather than practically on top of me. Then we started putting her to sleep in her own bed and once asleep we would go back to our own bed (whichever one had put her to sleep that night, we took turns) She eventually started sleeping through the night in her own bed, which was the greatest relief of my life! I'm working on it with the 2 yo right now. She falls asleep in our bed, then we move her to her bed, she usually wakes a couple of hours later and ends up back in my bed until morning. I'm gonig to start putting her back in her bed again and see if it works better - I am going to need her inher own bed when the baby gets here, I can't sleep with two kids squished up against me (and dh gets the whole other half of the bed to himself - no fair!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Currently neither of my children are co sleeping. Both have for long periods of time but at different points in their lives. DD co slept a bit as an infant (6-12 months, usually for a good part of the night about three to five times per week) but then was pretty much in our bed from midnight onwards from about 14 months right up until Silas was born when she was 18.5 months (bedtime was 9pm and we did used to go through the routine of putting her in her own room once she was asleep although she fell asleep in our arms in front of the tv downstairs)...
And yes, she was a nasty co sleeper, slept perpendicular to dh and I between us in a queen sized bed. She kicked a lot and moved a lot. And had a knack for getting me right in the belly with either her feet or her head depending on which end was near me...
So we bought a king sized bed. I wasn't convinced to make her move or change her routine and I figured we'd need more room if there were going to be four of us in there.
It made it a little better.
Then Silas was born. That night she had trouble settling downstairs because there was so much coming and going (midwives, visitors, was not supposed to be a home birth so there was much carrying on). So she fell asleep in our bed and we moved her into her own later (crib). I slept downstairs with the baby overnight and she came into bed with Daddy. The next night she still couldn't settle downstairs with Daddy (I stayed upstairs with baby to keep it quiet and dark for her)... so again, asleep in our bed with me but moved into her crib but didn't wake up and call for Daddy.
the third night as I was getting her cahnged for bed (in her bedroom) she started gesturing at her bed frantically (was non verbal at this age). So I put her in it and low and behold after standing with her and patting her bum for a few minutes she went right to sleep. In her bed for the very very first time.
So this became our bedtime routine. It took four months of ass patting at bed time before she would fall asleep happily on her own. (i refuse to cio.) After the first week she really stopped waking up to come in with us. Silas slept in our room (mostly in our bed) for the first four months. About 8 times in Silas's first four months I had both children awake at the same time in our bed. I would usually just send dh out of the room (to the spare room) and could get them settled in five or ten minutes, nursing one, patting the other. After that Charlotte really stopped getting up at night. I'm sure she would hear her brother (who was another year of sleeping anywhere he would sleep, his crib, our bed, a twin bed in his room with me, in a chair with me etc) before finally sleeping in his bed on his own.

Its funny, Charlotte just seem to realize that her nice quiet room was a nicer place to be than with the yelling baby.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I can't stant to have someone touching me while Im alsleep during this pregnancy. We even got a king sized bed so I would have more room
Oh yeah, we have an extra wide king futon upstairs and I sleep alone in it...fantastic. I've got my body pillow on one side, two pillows at my head and back, and a memory foam topper on it. Heaven.

DH has been trying an experiment lately by sleeping on the spare bed in my office (across the hall from DS's room) and just going in when DS wakes up, comforting him, then going back across the hall. DS does fine until about midnight, then starts waking every half hour if no one is there and DH was a zombie in the morning. It's only the last 6 months or so that he has been able to sleep until midnight by himself, and he had a very rough first year with sleep b/c of his surgeries, so I just think it is taking longer for him to learn to go to sleep on his own. I'm just especially worn out by it right now!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
We don't cosleep anymore, but there are nights when DD comes in with us at some point (usually when she's sick). I hate it! I can't stand to be touched, need tons of space right now. The other night she came in and was half on top of me, but she'd been sick and having trouble sleeping so I didn't want to risk moving her. So I just laid there for 2-3 hours awake and sweating and miserable. It's better when my DH is here (he travels frequently for work) b/c she can snuggle up to him. He can sleep through anything so it doesn't bother him. But I still want all my space (king bed) so I'm thankful she's in her own bed almost all of the time now.

If you're in a situation where kids are going to need to be moved once the baby is born, I'd recommend doing it asap. That way there's time to transition and they won't feel "displaced" by the new baby.

Carol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.