Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is now 7 months, and we've just started to transition to co-sleeping (not really intentionally, but it's just working out best for us right now). We co-slept when he was first born, and then it didnt' work for our family after a few weeks, but now with teething and attachment needs I think we're back to it for at least the majority of the night.

Anyway... as I was waking up next to our little guy early this morning all I could do was look at his face while he slept so peacefully and wonder how anyone could be against co-sleeping?? I don't understand it. If everyone sleeps well during the night, who cares if you all sleep in the same bed? It's so wonderful to wake up next to my two favorite guys - hubby & ds - that I wish co-sleeping worked for us for all the months inbetween the time ds was a month old until now! I guess I'm just thankful for the moments that we can co-sleep

·
Registered
25 Posts
We too got a late start on co-sleeping. In the beginning I felt uncomfortable being in the same bed with such a tiny infant but he did sleep in a crib next to us for a few months. Unfortunately I suffer from occasional bouts of insomnia and found it very difficult to sleep in the same room as a snorting/groaning baby so I made the decision to put him to sleep in his own room. This arrangement worked out well until about 7 months. Like you my ds wanted to have more of a connection with us at night so he now starts off in his own room but comes to our bed around 4 or 5 for a couple hours of sleep. This arrangement seems to be working out well...i get a good stretch of sleep and ds gets to snuggle with us for a couple of hours. I love it and wish like anything i was a better sleeper so we could snuggle all night but i would be a basket case everyday so we compromise. I also like the fact that he's stronger now and less fragile. Whatevery works!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My first daughter slept in a crib until she was 19 months old. She was actually in a basinet in our room the first six months and then put into a crib, once dd2 was born she was climbing into our bed, now almost 2 years later she and her sister are both with us. We actually start our girls in their own beds at night and generally by about 3am they are both with us. It is what works for us. I was completely against co-sleeping to begin with, so I think I have come along way!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We started late with our first. She was just over 6 months old when I brought her to bed. My dh was adamant that we would not cosleep. At 5 months she started waking every 20 minutes and would take 30 minutes to get back down. After a month and a half of getting 3-4 hours of sleep 20 minutes as a time I brought her to bed. I wish that I would have coslept from the beginning. I think dd1 would have felt more secure and that makes me sad. We have coslept with dd2 from the beginning and the funny thing is that now my dh loves cosleeping. He tells everyone how wonderful it is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We've been on again off again co-sleepers for months now. At first I was too scared to have that little tiny baby in bed with me because everyone warned me how dangerous it was so she slept next to us in her bassinet. She had really bad reflux for a while so she always wanted to be nursing to soothe her stomach (I assume) so we co slept for a few months and then she became a wiggler
And that's when she moved to her crib and we all slept better. Some days I wish she was back in our bed - but she sleeps great in her crib - so I guess I don't want to jinx myself

·
Registered
345 Posts
Our baby started sleeping in our bed when he was four months old. Before that, he'd been in a bassinet next to us, and at about three months, we tried transitioning him to his crib. He would wake up crying in the middle of the night, and I'd pick him up to nurse him, and soon he ended up finishing the night with us anyway. Now he's almost 10 months old, and he still sleeps with us. I wonder how long he will!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.