Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My baby is currently in the hospital awaiting surgery tomorrow for this condition.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a child with this and how it affected them?  He's had testing to see if there's anything internal that sometimes happens with this--and there appears to be nothing.  (Surgeon has not been in but his pediatrician has, and he said it looks like he will have the less complicated surgery since there appears to be no internal complications, just a smaller than normal anus)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>More info on his birth on November and December due date clubs.  :)  More about him and updates at <a href="http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyzayd" target="_blank">www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyzayd</a></p>

·
Registered
143 Posts
<p>My son has it.  He has a permanent colostomy.  I highly doubt your ds will go through what we have gone through since my son's is a result of his 7q deletion/monosomy syndrome.  Because his GI tract doesn't function well and he has too many developmental delays to potty train, I decided not to reverse his ostomy.  In our case even if we did a reversal there is no guarantee it would be a success or create even more GI problems and why take a risk when he won't even be capable of stooling in a toilet, he would still be stooling in a diaper.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In case you are curious his anorectal malformations are: </p>
<p>Anal stenosis,</p>
<p>anal atresia,</p>
<p>abnormally large & thick fatty filium,</p>
<p>tethered spinal cord (has been surgically corrected),</p>
<p>sickle shaped sacral spine,</p>
<p>scoliosis (yes sounds weird to include in the sub diagnosis but tether cord can be a cause of scoliosis)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>His stricture was bypassed by a sigmoid loop colostomy.  I believe all the above diagnoses are from his 7q syndrome but I sometimes get his two syndromes mixed up since he also has 4q trisomy/duplication syndrome.   I do know anorectal malformations & spina bifidia are pretty common in 7q monosomy kiddos (although my ds does not have spina bifidia).</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts