Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what to do about it, if anything. My DS is almost 3 1/2. He rarely wants to be read to, or do crafts, or pretty much anything I see everyone on here talking about. What he wants to do most of all is sit and eat snacks and watch TV. Even when I offer to play something with him, he will sometimes say no, he wants to watch TV. I try to limit his TV (still more than I would like) but it's a daily fight about it. I don't watch much TV (like 2-4 hours per week) and am a voracious reader (well, when I CAN, lol) and my DH does not watch much. DH is much more likely to let DS just sit and watch so he can do other things though. I am really not ready in completely TV free as the few things I watch I don't want to give up, and I don't think a little TV is bad, just when DS is so obsessive about it

How to spark more interest in more active things? Right now it's pretty cold and my DD is still young enough that I don't feel comfortable having her out in it for too long, but I am really worried about this. I see so many posts about people reading tons to their kids and I'm lucky if he wants to be read to once a week. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
He sounds like most adults I know. That's not a good thing!!

I really don't think little kids (or even most adults) have the necessary skills to self-regulate TV usage!

DS is almost 3 and was 100% TV/video/computer free until last month when we started allowing Little Bear DVDs only when he's sick (sick enough to really need to rest), and then only 45 minutes in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. It's really meant to enforce a rest on a very active non-napping sick kid. Effectively he's still TV free.

BUT this kid that LOVES to do tons of stuff--be read to, be told stories, play with toys, play games, cook with me, do crafts, you name it--would watch Little Bear all day long if I let him. But we made a "sick box" that he helped paint and decorate, we keep the DVDs in there (along with tissues, medicine, sick tea, etc) on a high shelf in the linen closet. When he's all better (and we celebrate by going somewhere fun or meet Daddy for lunch), we make a little 'ceremony' (nothing really, just a few words) about being better and saying goodbye to Little Bear and seeing him next time we're sick. He might ask for Little Bear the next day or two, but I point out that he's all better and we can go to music class, gymnastics, play in the snow, etc. After 2 days or so, he completely forgets the TV exists (its in a spare bedroom--not our living space--that is key!

So I know you may not want to just limit to sick time, but maybe you could take inspiration from our story. I do think his first almost 3 years of learning all about play without knowing that TV and kids programs existed has helped a lot, but I am sure there are ways (at his young age) to re-teach a different attitude toward TV time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
DS was addicted to TV like that too, and whenever he wasn't watching he would bug me about it, it drove me insane. I made a chart with three tokens on it, one with a picture of a TV and two computers. The TV represents a 1/2 hour show and the computers represent 1/2 hour of computer time (starfall, sesame.com, etc.). He uses them whenever he wants (usually immediately upon waking, all in a row) and then he's done for the day. It was an adjustment for both of us but it worked great, and I love that the chart is the "boss" and not me, if that makes sense.

He is now forced to do other things, though still with some reluctance. He plays great on playdates and at the playground, he just doesn't like to play on his own at home. Sometimes he listens to audiobooks, which I don't limit, and that helps when I need a break and he's really having a hard time entertaining himself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.