Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think dd inherited a little of dh's insomnia episodes and a little of my nightowl tendancies. While I was on maternity leave, her 9pm bed time shot up to as late as 11pm some nights.
Now that I'm back at work and dh's sahd'ing, I'd like to get her back on to a routine. I'm hoping this will help dh learn dd's sleep cues and keep her from the constant mini-meltdowns we've been experiencing (unless he tells me otherwise, he's planning to sah only until he can find a new job. While he's a great dad, he's a little short in the patience department and is watching both 2 mon. old ds and 22 mon. old dd, so anything we can do to make it a little easier in the day would put me at great ease.)

So my question is, does an average toddler really go to bed at 7:30pm? I understand working them down in increments to the desired time, as that's how we got her back down to 9:30pm (her current bed time, unless she demonstrates she's tired earlier) I just don't think it's feasible for dd. The earliest she's ever gone to bed in a regular fashion is 9pm. If she goes to bed at 8pm, it's because she didn't nap during the day (which makes for an awful evening of meltdowns...
) I'd like to get us back to a 9pm bedtime and ideally an 8:30pm one. As it is, it still take her a good 30-45min. after the story reading and tucking her in for her to be completely asleep. Anyone else have a constantly charged toddler who's difficult to unwind and put to bed?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a little nightowl 23-month old girl. She will go to bed at night around 11 PM or so, and sleep until about 9:30 AM. We co-sleep and night-nurse, though. She takes a late-afternoon nap too (with dad or with grandma). It's still a schedule, although not always an ideal one. Sorry I'm not much help in terms of suggesting how to change it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 11 month old tends to fall asleep around 11 on a good night, and can be up as late as 1 on a not-so-good night. She'll usually wake up around 10 am. If I get up before her, she gets up too, sensing that I'm not there.

If I get her to sleep earlier than 11, she will wake up within the hour and stay up until 3 or 4.

She takes one nap, about an hour long, at 2:30 or so, depending on when she woke up.

She hates to go to sleep. I usually have to wear her for a long time before she'll relax enough to fall asleep. Otherwise, she wants to go! go! go!

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
My 33 mo goes to bed at 12 or 1. Of course, my 3 week old wakes up around 10 and doesn't fall asleep again until 3 or 4, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms. We sleep until about 11. My whole family thinks we're nuts, but it works for us. DH is a student and also a night-owl. I know lots of SAHMs who have late nights like us.
It's not a problem unless you need them to go to bed earlier.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My 2 1/2 year old ds is a late night (and early morning) toddler. He usually goes to sleep anytime between 9:45 and 11:00 and wakes up by 7am. He takes a long nap, though. I tend to cut the nap short and never let him sleep past 4:30 or 5pm these days. Occasionally he will miss a nap and go to sleep by 8 or 8:30. I experimented with trying to get him to sleep earlier, but he just ended up waking up at terribly early hours of the morning, so I quit.

On another note, I recently checked out Dr. Sears' "Baby on the Way" book to prepare ds for the new baby and it is a magical book for us! I read it to him once and then he rolls over and mooches around for a while until he falls asleep. I used to have to read him tons of books and deal with him pulling my hair and such before he would settle down. I'm hoping this lasts a while!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
My ds is a nightowl, too, and usually won't get into bed before 10 pm, and will often stay awake in bed until after 10:30. He does take long naps, usually at least 2 hours, more often 2 1/2 or 3, or even 4. I know he needs to get to bed earlier, but he just doesn't want to. He finds anything else to do instead!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Jules wakes up at 10am, and if he doesn't nap, will go to sleep around 11. If he naps, he's up til 12 or 1am. I don't mind, so I don't go out of my way to change it. During the school year we both go to sleep around 10 or 11 because I usually have a 9:30 class in the morning and have to feed him and get us both ready, so we're up around 8.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jordan is also a night owl. She will go to bed anywhere between 9 and 11 pm, but she'll sleep at least 12 hours...if not more.

·
Registered
662 Posts
DD is 16 months and she goes to bed when we do, usually around midnight. She and I sleep until 9:30 or 10:00. I don't mind at all because I like to sleep in. DH also often gets home kind of late so this way DD gets to spend more time with him.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My 18 month old usually goes to bed around 9 or 10 pm. No big surprise, it seems he's inherited the sleep paterns of both his parents! Up a little later at night, sleep in a bit in the morning. Since we have no need for getting up early or anything we just go with it and follow his cues. It can be tough sometimes, when he's not ready for bed but I'm ready for him to be ready :LOL and of course sleep times vary depending on the weather, what we did that day, etc...so I guess it might be nice to know that he would be in bed at the same time every night.....but I like how we do things. Dh and I never go to bed the same time every day so we don't expect ds to be any different. Also, ds is quite flexible which is really nice. We can go out places and if his nap comes a little later than usual, it's ok. We can stay out later than most people with kids and it's no problem, he'll just sleep in later the next day.

I don't think it's better or worse for kids to be in bed early, I think usually it's just what we see because so many people have commitments that meanthey have to get up early. If I had to get ds up at 7am every day to go to school or daycare or something I bet he'd go to sleep a lot earlier in the evening, you know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts