Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cause I do and it is making me
:

He starts off in his own sleeping space from 9 -12. He wakes up to nurse and we pull him in bed. The nursing waking cycle starts then and probably happens 3-4 times b/t 12 and 7:30.

I am not quite sure to do about it. This is my second child and I no matter! I still feel clueless as to how to get him to sleep better, deeper and longer. Its really taking a physical toll on me!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the same issue...
My toddler right now is wanting to nurse 2-10 times a night. There is no consistency! It is usually in a cluster b/w 1-6. The FUN hours. No help to give, just commisseration and empathy.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well, my dd is 17 months and she doesn't nurse anymore (I had to wean at 13 months in order to take meds for RA) but she wakes for a bottle (her *lovey* since we stopped nursing) and it drives me
:

What bothers me the most is that she won't take water in it... it has to be milk (she's drinking goats milk now) and I know that's bad for her teeth. We cosleep and I've tried everything in the book to get her back to sleep without a bottle but she screams her head off (and she has screamed for over an hour with me holding, rocking, walking, etc.) until she gets one. She wakes at least three times a night, sometimes more.

FWIW she has always been like this, so I don't know why I expected it to stop just because she isn't nursing... she just replaced the boob with the bottle essentially... it just bothers me a lot because BM is so much healthier than other milk... I just don't know how to break her of the milk in the bottle throughout the night habit without some major tantrums and screaming

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'm in the up-all-night club too. DD (16 months) wants to nurse anywhere from 2-10 times a night too, I have been trying (trying!) to semi night wean her, by trying to just pat, rock her to sleep in the middle of the night. It took a week or so, but now she will do about 50/50, half the time I can get back to sleep by patting her back, and the other half she really needs to nurse. I have not had 3 hours of consecutive sleep since she was born. I am very tired. And to make matters worse I started watching a friends baby who at 10 weeks was sleeping 8 hours at night! And no, they did not CIO, she just LOVES to sleep. She will also sleep 2-4 hours during the day.
: I am holding on to hope that baby #2 will sleep better....

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts

Last month dd was a wonder...she'd fall asleep at 8pm, sleep till midnight when she'd nurse and roll over asleep again, nurse and roll ovre at 4, then happy and awake at 7am. Life was sweet.

Now (15, almost 16mo) she is fighting sleep like nobody's business, finally collapsing around 10-11pm. Then she wakes around 1am and nurses for hours. I mean hours. Last night she nursed from 1am until five minutes before 5. And we HAVE to get up at 7...I WOH and sleeping in is not an option. If I try removing her from the breast she wakes all the way up and screams bloody murder (DH tried walking with her for a while last night and she screamed for a half hour till he brought her back to me). So sleep is a thing of the past in our house, please pass the coffee.

This is a phase right? A molar or milestone or fragment of undercooked potato and in a week or so she'll be sleeping again. Right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
DS nurses all night. He goes to bed around 8 or 9 and sleeps on his own for a few hours, but once I'm in bed, he latches on. When he's in a really deep sleep, he detaches, and I also try to detach him, but usually he just latches on and nurses away.

If I could sleep through it, it wouldn't be so bad, but I'm always tired. I don't know what to do about it. I'm thinking of moving him into a bed next to ours, that way he won't smell the milk and want it.

I don't know. I really don't think there is any magic answer. You either wait it out or you change their sleep habits. And with the change there will be crying and upset.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My toddler wakes (and nurses) ALL. NIGHT. LONG. He will be 2 next month. I was just thinking the other day that the first 3 months of his life, he'd sleep 4-5 hour stretches and occasionally all night... from there it has been down hill.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbridi
I really don't think there is any magic answer. You either wait it out or you change their sleep habits. And with the change there will be crying and upset.
Oh man. You just said the truth out loud! Don't make me face it!
:

DD is the exact same way. She's a really young toddler, though, so I still have some patience for it. (She's almost 13 mos.) She has slept 5-6 hours straight a few times in her life. But usually she wakes up, at least 2 times, and like others have said sometimes it's a lot more. Sometimes she just nurses and rolls over, sometimes she tosses and turns and nurses fretfully for a few hours. And sometimes she is just awake and cheerful in the middle of the night! You never know what you are going to get. Fun!

I entertain thoughts of nightweaning her, or maybe getting her to sleep in her own space, maybe both... and then I do neither because I'm worried about how she will react. I don't imagine it would go smoothly, but I haven't tried it so who knows. If things got so bad I couldn't stand it anymore I'd probably at least give it a shot. But for now I am content to just wait it out and see what happens.

Maybe someone has an inspiring story about how they got their DC to sleep all night with no problem. (Still looking for that magic answer)

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My ds was the same way. He just needed to grow out of it which happened very gradually. By the time he was 4, he was just nursing to fall asleep and to wake up. It was just a maturity issue. I tried to nap when he did to compensate.

Getting more sleep can be helpful, despite advice to not let them nap. My ds would be even MORE restless if he didn't get enough day time sleep. I also read about this phenomenon of tired people sleeping poorly in some sleep book, the title of which I don't remember. The author said "sleep begets sleep."

Other things to help sleep are avoiding stimulants (iced tea, chocolate), exercise and sunlight (for adults, excercise at 4pm is supposed to be helpful for being tired at bedtime), and not being exposed to tv or vigorous play before bedtime.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have several thoughts for you:

1. Is your dc's sleeping in a separate bed relatively new?? It didn't sound like it, but I was thinking he might need more assurance that you're there for him if that's a new transition.... again you didn't make it sound like a new thing... but it came to mind......

2. Some thoughts about my ds's sleep patterns. Typically he wakes to nurse around that time I come to bed... about 2-3 hours after he goes to sleep (we cosleep).

3. Growth Spurt?? Illness?? Within the last month my ds started bf'ing at night a lot more than usual... Do any of these ring a bell? I know you said this is your second child... so you've probably already considered these things.

4. Allergies??? Honestly, what I originally came here to say, and it ended up as my #4 point?? Ok, so perhaps most people wouldn't automatically make the leap from sleeplessness to allergies. But I have a close friend whose dd didn't sleep well for the first 19?? or so months of her life... after much searching they discovered some allergies. Since they've cut those foods out of dd's diet, sleeping pretty much resumed nicely.

But I'm not sure if what the OP is saying is if there's a sleep issue for dc or a nursing constantly issue. I don't believe the only choices you have are to wait for children to change their sleep pattern or change it for them. An INCREDIBLE book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" is excellent... very practical for people wanting a little more direction on their child's sleep yet those who weren't keen on letting their child cry it out, etc.

Hang in there, you're a great mom for bfing your dc and fulfilling that need. Good luck in finding a good solution. -heidi

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Hey hon!

Me! It's not all the time, but ever since his molars started coming in (all 4 are just starting, and very, very slow). Plus I think the heat makes it even more.

Another thing, and this was true with ds1 also (but with him I attributed it to high-needs + my at school during the day), is that he is so busy during the day, and learning/changing so fast, that nighttime nursing is a time to make up for it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My boy has NEVER in 17.5 months slept for more than 4 hours. He currently nurse from 5-1,000,000 times a night.) And that one time he slept that long was at 4 months old
My lower back is in agony and if i can't get it fixed soon he is going to be bunking alone with daddy, and a cup of water for a while. As with other issues I vaccilate between "suck it up, he's only going to be a baby a little while" and "poor me why does he hate me?" all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbridi
I don't know. I really don't think there is any magic answer. You either wait it out or you change their sleep habits. And with the change there will be crying and upset.
Yep - our dd is 26 months. At 19 months, she was nursing at 9 (before bed - she didn't nurse to sleep and hasn't for a long time), midnight, 2 or 3, 4 or 5 and 7. dh was determined to night wean her. I said "OK, but no letting her cry by herself." (She was starting the night in the crib by that time, and then coming in with us at midnight.) After 6 weeks, I talked him into giving up. She'd be awake for 2-4 hours in the middle of the night, really, really angry at him. I figured after 6 weeks it meant she just wasn't ready to be night weaned.

Shortly after that, she gave up the midnight nursing. A couple of months later, she gave up the 4 am one (I think). Right now, we're down to 2 or 3 am and about 6 am. We had one heavenly night last week when she slept until 6 before she woke!! The next day she came down with a cold, and now her 2 year molars are coming in....

Slowly, slowly is how it goes. I may lose patience and see if we can night wean her when I'm done teaching summer school and can get naps in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My toddler (15 months) still co-sleeps and wakes several times at night for breastfeeding. I don't want to wean him now, so I just enjoy the time. But, sometimes I get so tired of lying onto his side all the time, cause I nurse mostly on the left side.

So, I tried to give him water in his bottle. Sometimes he doesn't refuse it, yet sometimes he does.

Have you tried turning on slow music to take him to sleep? Hope that helps!

Love,
- aurora -

·
Registered
345 Posts
My ds has never been a good sleeper either and marathon nurses from 1-7am, sleeping restlessly the whole time. Now that he is almost 19 months, (and we are soon going to be ttc#2) I am working on limiting the length of his feedings.

So, if he wakes up screaming (which is how he always wakes) I give him *milk* for a few minutes, then once I hear him swallowing less, I say "okay milk is sleepy, night night milk" and I unlatch him. He is sometimes really angry about this at first but I let him still hold my breasts (for now...we are still on step 1 of this transition
) and he will fall back asleep.

Sometimes when he wakes up, instead of offering the milk first, I will try to say its okay, mama's here, etc. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...He is starting to understand "all gone" and be able to use it other than at the dinner table, so sometimes I will tell him "milk is all gone, but mama is here" and that will work too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My ds will be 1 one Friday, and on some nights he just demands to be attached all darn night. I get really uncomfortable lying on my side all night. I get agitated when I can't get up to use the bathroom without him screaming. That wakes up dp who has to go to work in the am. Also, ds is an active sleeper. He flips back and forth and always scoots down to the middle of the bed. Then he cries for nursies and I have to get up to pull him up and reposition him
: Little Stinker. I'm just going to wait it out. I don't want to night wean him. He'll grow out of it eventually, it's just one of those things I have to deal with for now

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
me too! Dd is 15 months, cosleeps and is teething...on a good night she might wake 2-3 times (a VERY good night) on a bad night anywhere from 5-10...I mostly sleep through it and cope by not thinking about how tired I am. She is also very restless too like you describe mommamoo I did just purchase Pantley's NCSS for toddlers & preschoolers though, and I have to give it a thumbs up. It helped me get dd to sleep by 7:10 last night for the first time in weeks, she **** woke up a lot, but it was nice to go to bed at 9:30 after a quiet evening of cooking, cleaning & reading. We'll see tonight if it was just a fluke or if the bedtime routine thing works well.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, what a relief to know I'm not alone! My DS is 28 months and is STILL an all-night nurser. He sleeps pretty well from about 9pm-12am, but as soon as DH and I join him in the room (we have his toddler bed attached to our bed) he knows I'm there and boom - wakes up to nurse. He then wakes up several more times to nurse. Once in awhile DH can rock him back to sleep, but more often he insists on the "bubbub". We still enjoy co-sleeping and have never used CIO, so I guess I'm just waiting for him to outgrow this. Plus, I'm just too tired and lazy in the middle of the night to put up a fight!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I really had to set firm boundaries to stop that, even though it's usually my style to follow the babies' lead. I would still nurse him to sleep, but if he woke in the night I held him or rocked him or whatever and then put him back in his crib. Once I did that he started sleeping all night!

Recently I couldn't take the nursing-in-bed in the mornings (which would go on for hours, me dozing and cramped and him dozing and nursing), so I had to begin weaning. This is my last child and he's 26 months, though, so I was ready.

Although The No-Cry Sleep Solution didn't "work" in that I didn't find following plans and schedules practical, its suggestions were very helpful at different stages- they help pad out your bag o' tricks so you don't have to rely solely on nursing for comfort/sleep.

I must say that there really has been almost no crying with my recent change in sleep associations! Instead of holding him/nursing him, I began lying next to him on my (made) bed, reading him stories. I let him have a sippy cup of milk, and if he doesn't want that I offer him a pacifier (sometimes he wants it and sometimes not). I read the same 6 or 7 books, in the same order, 2x each, every night. The first night I had to stroke him and occupy him and keep him from struggling, but it wasn't devastating or stressful. I expected it to get worse before it got better - but it got easier. Now I can read my book once our stories are done, and he lies next to me and falls asleep.

If he uses the pacifier, I take it away as soon as he's nodded off, so he doesn't want *that* all night. I also move him to his crib as soon as he's asleep- those first nights he was getting attached to sleeping with us, and none of us was sleeping! So in less than a week we have a great new routine, no crying, and he doesn't rely on the breast to sleep anymore.

He *was* sleeping all night before this process, and that was new- he slept poorly until 24 months. So I was reluctant to mess with rest- but I couldn't bear nursing him to sleep anymore, or the invasion of my person in the wee hours. Now he wakes at about 3 or 5, but if I take him in my bed he goes back to sleep without nursing (sometimes with a pacifier). And most mornings now he doesn't ask anymore.

I was sad to wean earlier than expected, but it was necessary. Many might disapprove of using a pacifier, but at only a few minutes per day, and not even regular use, I consider that perfectly OK. Two years without sleep was the limit for me!
:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts