Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3 boys and are expecting baby #4. I'm sure once we tell everyone all the "trying for a girl" comments will start.
I find them so annoying. Anyone else been in this boat and have some good snappy comebacks?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have a friend who got this all the time when she was pregnant and she already had two little boys. People would ask "are you hoping for a girl this time?" she would reply;
"We don't mind if our baby has a penis or a vagina. Or both."
The mention of the words penis and vagina would stun people and they'd shut up. LOL

·
Registered
729 Posts
i even still get comments regarding my now 1 yo: "I'll bet you were trying for a girl w/ him, huh?" wtf am i supposed to say to that? "um, yeah, i'm really not happy w/ him and his penis and actually wanted to put him back...."

i hate the pressure i know i'm gonna feel to "produce" a girl. it'd be great to have one, but i'll be just as happy w/ another precious little boy.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My two oldest are boys and when I was pregnant with DD people would always comment, "you must hope it is a girl". I always responded that I was happy with whatever. The conversation almost always moved forward.

I think it is just one of those things people say with out thinking when they are engaging you in small talk. I think it is the equivalent of commenting on the weather.

·
Registered
913 Posts
DDC crashing to say...we have 4 girls and have heard this for years...I don't know why people feel the need to be rude!! We always said that we expect another girl and would be seriously shocked if it was a boy...that we are grateful for healthy babies, that is it.

We ARE shocked this time to find out it is a boy...none of us expected that, and it would have been just fine (and truthfully were were expecting it) if #5 was a girl. Now we get a new set of comments. So people just find something else to be rude about!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I only have one child, a girl, and already I am sick of the "I bet you want a boy this time." comments. I want a healthy baby - some days I lean towards wanting another girl and others I lean towards a boy. But really, I do nt care and wish people would stop projecting their own desires on me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
recalling one comment i got last pregnancy: "i don't know what you'd want--if you have another boy, i'd feel sorry for you--if you have a girl, i'd feel sorry for her!"

gee, i just can't win.

that's why i hate small talk, particular pregnancy related small talk. people notoriously say the dumbest things.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes! I have two girls and we live in an area that is populated largely with very traditional Chinese families, so EVERY adorable chinese grandma I meet wants to make sure we're going to try to have a son. I'm learning to just laugh, but I think it's so silly. We love our kids no matter what parts they come out with! I am sort of feeling girl vibes already with this one so, I'm sure the comments will continue.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
I have a friend who got this all the time when she was pregnant and she already had two little boys. People would ask "are you hoping for a girl this time?" she would reply;
"We don't mind if our baby has a penis or a vagina. Or both."
The mention of the words penis and vagina would stun people and they'd shut up. LOL

Oooh... I am going to have to remember this one if I'm feeling in a mood... especially if MIL says something.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I honestly think people mean well and are just trying to make conversation. Except for those who are obviously rude saying the'd feel sorry for someone. That's a terrible thing to say!!

I have two boys and DH is positive that this one is a boy too (when he knows, he KNOWS). I'm prepared for sympathetic looks and comments when I have 3 boys, but I ADORE my crazy boys! Of couse, I want a baby girl. I want to have a bond with my daughter like the one my Mom and I share. There are so many reasons I want a girl, but what's most important to me is having a healthy baby!!

I've always wanted 3 boys and 2 girls so having 3 boys in a row seems perfect to me!

Anyway, my response is usually something like "I would love to have a daughter but we want a big family so I'm not worried about having one right away. I love having boys!"

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of the time people are just making conversation... but I hate it when they imply we'll be disappointed if we have another girl. After we just had the two boys and I mentioned having a third (we'd always planned on at least 3, it had nothing to do with the gender), MIL went on about a family she knew who kept trying for a specific gender and ended up with 5 same-gender kids. This was said in a horrified voice as if this was a horrifying cautionary tale.

But she is a great nana and adores our boys, so I try not to let it get to me.

Ladyelms... that was just a rotten thing for someone to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.