Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this with my first child- I read about how I'm supposed to be eating a HUGE list of foods to get all the nutrients in that the baby needs and I think "There is no way on earth I can eat all that food in one day!" but then I feel guilty for not trying harder to do so.

I eat a good diet, fruits, veggies, meats, etc- but I find those lists so overwhelming.

Anyone else feel that way?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Amen, sister! I had some blood pressure issues with my last pregnancy, so I'm supposed to be following the Brewer's diet. Oh, my, the list of things to have each day is just totally overwhelming me. And then when I don't make it, I beat myself up. And so far I haven't made one single day
: !

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not to mention that you'd have to eat ALL these things in between feeling like all food will make you gag and run to the nearest bathroom. These days, I'm feeling good if I manage to get my daughter fed decently.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always have food guilt. Especially since, lately, the only thing I can consistently eat without heaving is Taco Bell.
:

I do try to get some of the good stuff, but at this point my supplements aren't staying down too well, and most foods sound awful and feel worse, so it's not easy. I'm trying to trust that I have enough reserves of all the necessary vitamins and minerals to keep the bean, DD, and myself healthy until the nausea passes. Goodness knows I have enough fat reserves, so I'm not too worried about calories!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Me too. I've always had a pretty healthy diet. I don't really like sweets. I know it's nuts but I don't care for ice cream and most junk food tastes bad to me. Meanwhile, I look at the guidelines from my midwife and although they're not terribly rigid, I'm just not sure I could eat that much even if I wasn't nauseous and throwing up half the time. I had an appointment on Friday and turns out I've gained 5 lbs anyway! I think the portions have to be looked at carefully. Most diet recommendations use portion sizes that don't correlate at all to what any normal person usually eats, pregnant or not.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I feel bad if I don't eat all the foods I'm supposed to too. But at this point I'm just thankful to find anything that appeals to me. The thought of most foods makes me want to vomit. I've still been eating healthy foods, just not a balanced diet. Junk food is one of my many adversions.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I was really obsessed the first time around (and DH studies nutrition so he was gung ho too) and despite a really healthy diet and eating to my hunger I still gained a total of about 60 pounds.

This time I'm trying to stay much more laid back. If something sounds good, I eat it. It it doesn't appeal, I don't. I know that my diet is fairly healthy and balanced, but the first trimester isn't a good time to start requiring certain foods in certain amounts. Well, not if you've got the all-day sickies anyway!

I'm taking a prenatal, I'm taking some extra supplements, but I'm going to try and stay as laid back as possible about required foods, forbidden foods, and all that. I'm chasing a toddler and WOH...I don't have time to beat myself up and the list of things that makes me feel guilty is already out the door!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to know I'm not alone. I need to just quit reading those lists of foods at all.

I do work to add certain good things to my diet, I make a fruit smoothie every morning with OJ, berries and a banana so I start my day with at least 3 servings of fruit. I need to get some V-8 to drink too with lunch. I also just added soy milk (I don't do dairy), for the extra protien. I really like drinking my calories- it helps them go down easier with the queasy stomach.

Anyone else have any easy tips for getting extra good stuff in in a painless way?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts

I eat a lot of oatmeal (I put it in the rice cooker and it takes 20 minutes, or in the crock pot overnight), so I "hide" a lot of stuff in my oatmeal. I'll add a few scoops of soy powder to up the protein content, add a little ground flax seed, or stir in some chopped prunes/apples/almonds.

I also do low fat yogurt smoothies with fruit and soy blended in (plain yogurt...I lived in Turkey and can't stand how sweet US yogurt is! Even the plain version tastes sweet to me). Although I really don't like V8 served as a beverage, I've found that if I heat it up in a mug as if it were tomato soup then I really enjoy it. So I'll have that with some sliced cheese and maybe a grilled cheese sandwich (I'll add avocado and tomato slices to the sandwich to up the nutritional edge there as well).

DH also makes all of our jam...just pick up a bag of frozen fruit and a box of "low sugar pectin" at the store and you can customize your jam. He adds some supplements right into the jam and since there's no added sugar (just the fruit) it's a pretty yummy topping for toast, oatmeal, etc.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't usually worry too much. I try to stay away from too much junks so that what I do eat does provide some kind of nutritional value. Other than that, I try to be religious about taking my pre-natal vitamin. I also try to get enough calcium because my very first OB told me that if I don't the baby will just suck the calcium from my bones. So I need it more for me than for baby. The thought of crappy bones when I'm older is enough to get me to drink milk which I normally don't drink.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't really pay attention to the food lists, they drive me bonkers
: . At this stage, I eat whatever doesn't make me nauseous, and that is very, very limiting. I am nauseous at just about everything
: .
My snack is fruit, fruit, fruit, and fruit. I can eat lots of them (thank goodness they don't make me nauseous). I can drink milk, but only chocolate milk.

I crave for buffalo wings and blue cheese, and pastas, but havent' had the wings though
. I am still worried about blue cheese. My m/w said not to consume it or any soft cheese if I am not sure whether they've been pasteurized or not.

Other than that I religiously take my prenatal vitamin and fish oil daily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.