Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if they are going to pay any portion of my homebirth, or reimburse me or something. If they don't that sucks but It's ok anyway. When I look on their website I see that it says they cover "midwifes" but I am assuming that is a CNM at the hospital that they cover and not a CPM.

Anybody had them pay for a CPM and homebirth?

I know, I could just call them but I HATE dealing with insurance. They make things so complicated and they never give straight answers.

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Amy,

My company just switched to United Healthcare, effective Oct 1. The lady (Betty) that does the insurance billing for my CPM said she has the best luck with United Healthcare paying for a homebirth with CPM. United has a million different plans so you will have to check with them yourself, but Betty told me you have better chances if you have a PPO instead of a HMO.

I have my fingers crossed that they will cover SOME of this for me...Aetna (my old insurance) would not.

Good Luck to you, and please let me know what you find out!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That is so great to hear. In fact, I'm going to call them right now and see what they say. I do have the PPO plan so I hope that does help me.

Thanks again!
(I'll post back here when I find out what they say...)

Amy

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Good luck to you! I had a United Healthcare PPO plan last year, and it stated right in the paper copy of my EOB that homebirth was covered 100%. My birth at the hospital was covered the same way, other than the $10 co-pay for my first OB visit. Now I have an HMO with a much smaller company and they supposedly don't cover homebirth, but after talking to others who have the same insurance, and dealing for months with various people at the company, they are going to cover it.

Sometimes you can get things from insurance if you keep talking to the people about it, but I must admit that that can be stressful for me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Amywillo
Good luck to you! I had a United Healthcare PPO plan last year, and it stated right in the paper copy of my EOB that homebirth was covered 100%.
Hi Amy,

That is great! But I'm not sure what you mean buy your EOB? What is that?

Amy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.