Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting for the new baby and having such a good time with it. I'm working on a little striped bunting now and have yarn for a chunky blanket as well. I also have a few sweaters and hats on my list. This one is a boy, and I'm enjoying picking out colors other than those pale blues and drab khakis that I'm seeing in the stores. Anybody else doing this? I didn't know how to knit when my last baby was born (although she has accrued a heap of knitted stuff since then), and it feels really special to be knitting for my next newborn.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Not yet, although I'm sure I will do some. I just made a very cute tam for a relative's baby, and will probably make one for ours, too. With some mittens to match.

Although I did knit when my first was a babe, I didn't do nearly as much of it. They say that you can get a LOT of knitting done when those newborns are nursing...am looking forward to that!

~Nick

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Over on the November due date board, we had a whole thread going about who's knitting what for their babes...Lots of knitters here!

I've made a bunch of soakers and wool pants (using LTK patterns)...haven't been knitting much lately, but would like to make some cotton dish cloths to use as baby wipes...

Happy knitting, all!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
I am desperately trying to learn how to knit but my mother only knows how to crochet. I don't learn well from a book, I need a hands on teacher.
Come to Boston and I'll teach you! :LOL Another alternative is to call up the yarn shops in your area. Most yarn shops offer classes or private lessons. You can easily pick up the basics in an hour or two.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm teaching myself to knit (from SandB and knittinghelp.com). I've only knit a scarf but I would love to knit my due in February (in Michigan) baby a hat with ear flaps. I need a good, simple to follow pattern. Any suggestions? (I know I can also check out the yarn craft section!)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm knitting a yummy cream colored cotton blanket right now with a box pattern. I really want to do a hat and hope I can learn to knit on a circle and decrease/increase. Just FYI, I simply went to a specialty yarn store, told a lady working there that I wanted to learn how to know and she set me up with needles and yarn and we sat down for a 5 minute lesson. Then I stayed there awhile and continued working on my project until I felt I had the hang of it. BTW - that scarf was HORRIBLE! Please be gentle with yourself and be willing to "sacrifice" at least one project to the knitting goddesses. :LOL

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been knitting soakers and am working on a vest for my 2 1/2 year old. A friend of mine has loaned me her very simple knitting machine and I've been having a great time with it. I am still doing all ribbing and fancy stitches by hand, but for the main stockingnet part of the soakers it works great.

DreamsInDigital- I used to live in Portland - there is a great yarn shop in Multnomah Village. I've seen people come in there to get help, and they will cast on for you. Also, you might check out the Multnomah Art Center. I know that they teach weaving and spinning there - I think they might also have a knitting class. I'd love to teach you, but I'm closer to Vancouver, B.C. than to Vancouver, WA!

Ellen

Due the first week of August with dc #2

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just finished a hooded cardigan in a lovely sage color (gender is a surprise), I will embellish with embroidery and buttons upon baby's arrival. This was a complicated pattern and my first sweater so I am feeling quite accomplished. I am not working on a towel/blanket from the "Knitting for Baby" book, it's cotton chenile in a basket weave pattern, looks fab! That particular book has some great easy patterns even for beginning knitters. They even have instructions to learn to knit, it got rave reviews from beginning knitters and experienced alike.

I hope to work on some wool soakers this summer too!

Happy knitting ladies!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I'm currently working on something for the baby and I together - the babywearer poncho from LTK . It's a fairly involved pattern and I'm a fairly new knitter, so I don't know how long it will take me! If I finish that, I'm hoping to do some soakers next.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't knit (I can, I just don't), I crochet. I just recently finished my "welcome baby" outfits (I never learn what I'm having, so I get to make two things). You can see them here: girl's outfit & here: boy's outfit. I've also made a unisex diaper cover and have a ton of things left over from my last pregnancy. Of course, this time I am in a much warmer climate!

Here are probably my two favorite resources:
Bev's Country Cottage Newborn/Toddler pattern page. Lots of patterns, knit, crochet, & sewn.
Stitchguide. This free site has video clips of both knitting & crochet stitches, as well as some basic patterns. One lady I passed this site on to during my last pregnancy was able to teach herself to crochet well enough to make two lovely blankets while she was on bed rest.

Right now I'm taking a break from baby stuff to work on scuplture crochet. I just finished making a vulva today. :LOL

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabigus
I'm on a hat spree. Can't seem to get enough of them--thus far, a tomato hat, an eggplant hat, a black and yellow striped, a blue and cream pattern, and an apple hat with leaves.
Are the fruit hats your own design, or from patterns elsewhere?

Marieke

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.