Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. I loved my birthing experience so much. It has almost made me want to DO IT AGAIN!

not just for the birth of course.... but it is definetly a contributing factor to my yearning for another child.

It would not be for years. But I am curious- have you decided to have another baby influenced strongly for your desire to birth at home?

Emilie

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had a terrific experience w/ my first homebirth (my 5th child). When we moved and bought a house I was so excited that it had a garden bath tub so I could labor or birth in it. I knew I just had to have another homebirth after that first one. We ended up doing an UC with our 6th and I was very happy to have that tub.

We have gone on to have another mw attended hb w/ number 7 and I am seeing the same mw for number 8 and planning another hb.

So I guess my answer is YES my first homebirth experience was part of the reason number 6 is here.

·
Registered
914 Posts

Yes, I would definitely say that has something to do with it. Especially after I had my first child, I was so excited about it that I wanted to do it again right away!

There are 2.5 years between #1 & #2.

I can't wait to do it again with #3, but it will take some convincing to get DH on board to have #4. I always joke that I'd have a baby every year if I could!

I probably better stop at four, though.
I think.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm still on the fence about #3 because both my home births were so wonderful, especially #2! Too funny, I think I might just become a doula though and satisfy my home birth addiction that way.
I'm not sure if I actually want another child- just to be pregnant and give birth again. I told DH that I should be a surrogate but I don't think I could honestly do that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, most people think I'm wacky.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I loved my homebirth. All 28 hours of it. When the midwife came to check on me 3 days after ds was born I told her I can't wait to do that again!!
When we moved into our house last December I told dh I really wanted to give birth in this house. 3 months later I got pregnant! I am really excited about the birth and love that I get to give birth at home.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oh yes It took me 3 home births to get it right, the third went wonderfully and I am only getting better at birthing! I love to be pregnant too! And newborns are the best thing on earth! If I do it again it will be a UC

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a wonderful hb, I wouldn't change ANYTHING about it. And yes, even though I knew I wanted more children before that birth, it certainly influences my decision to procreate
I am so excited to get pg again and to dive even deeper into the mystery of birth. I feel like I just scratched the surface the first time!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, me too! Between LOVING my MW and prenatal period and the homebirth experience itself, I definitely couldn't wait to have another. However, up until my DD was about 6 months, I really didn't think I could do the child rearing again!

But, yes, my home waterbirth experience absolutely made me want to do it again!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Honestly, it was a VERY large part of why I became pg with numbers 3 & 4 (twins!). Yes, I did want another baby but truth be told I think I wanted another pregnancy & homebirth more.
We're done now and it makes me sad that I'll never get to be the beautiful pregnant woman or the roaring, strong birthing woman. But I'm glad that going into this last pregnancy we had made up our minds that it would be our last so I could make peace with that. During my 2nd pregnancy we had decided that we'd have 3 or 4 kids but then after she was born dh changed his mind. It was VERY hard for me to be okay with never going through the process again at that point. I didn't live that pregnancy knowing it would be my last and I really needed to do that in order to stand never doing it again, kwim? So yes, for me it played a huge role.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my dh and i want 5 kids anyway (#1 is 10 mo). but, pregnancy is never fun for me (i've had 3 m/c also). i have "morning" sickness for 5 months, horrible back pain after 6 months.

i LOVE my mw, my labor was awesome and giving birth was out of this world!

can't wait for #2!

·
Registered
677 Posts
While my HB was the most beautiful, perfect, amazing, empowering & *life changing* event in my life-no. Our family is complete. I still feel the aftershock tremors of such a transforming experience daily. The relationship I had with my midwife was so unique, powerful and something I never have and never will experience again in my lifetime, at least from that point of view. I will always cherish my last pg and birth and feel that it will help guide me into fulfilling all of my lifelong dreams. But all of my births will help me on my journey into becoming wise for my DDs and anyone else who is willing to listen...

But I couldn't do it again, just to do it. That is just not a good enough reason for me. I am sure however that I would feel different if our family wasn't complete. And if we are ever surprised with the blessing of another soul in the future then yes, I would without a doubt do my best to have another HB because that for us, is the way Birth should be. Every childbirth experience is unique just like the babies themselves are each individuals. No one can guarantee that my experience would be the same, better or worse than my last, just that it would be different. I happen to like it that way though...

Heather

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have not had a homebirth but I have had two natural hospital births (both VERY positive experiences). The second was even better that the first (better meaning I was less scared and more present to the experience).

I remember my first thought when my second baby was born was....OMG! I *have* to do this again.

So for me it was the experience of natural, unhindered birth that makes me want to do it again, not so much the setting.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I would want a homebirth in the future. My hospital experiences have been so incredible and I just
my MW (who does not practice out of hospital).

·
Registered
821 Posts
My first two were unmedicated hospital midwife attended births. With #1 I was like "Who's up for round two?!?" But after #2's birth which was long and the midwife was on the phone with the OR for a C/S when the baby finally got into the right position I was hesitant to do it again. I'm sure glad we did because #3 was our first homebirth and was AMAZINGLY peaceful and perfect. At this point, I'd take a #4, #5 and a #6 but DH didn't even want more than 1 so this was probably our last. . . Although DH still hasn't made that snip snip appt yet and we agreed he'd do it when we were "done".

Deb

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I had an interesting hospital birth with our son & the first thing out of my mouth was "We have to do this again!". I said that before we even knew he was a boy
We are homebirthing this baby & I am sure I will feel the same way. I don't know if we will have more children though...2 may be the right number for us~we'll have to see.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
i birthed in a birthcenter, but the act of giving birth made me want another child. i hated pregnancy and the first 3 months or so of babyhood, but i LOVED birth so much that i can't wait to do it again. i wish i could do it every month.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts