Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dh and I have just got going on our hammock for our sweet freshie. It so exciting watching it all come together!! He brought the wooden parts back from the shop the other day and it just made it that much more real for me. I'm dying some muslin a deep, relaxing blue before I sew it into the hammock shape. We're planning on just using a sheepskin for a mattress. We are doing one kinda similar to the "happy hangups" hammock. It was the only one that I could find that would go all the way up to age 3...plus its just so beautiful!! You can check out their version at www.happyhangup.com

It so fun getting everything ready!! Anyone else have a special project that they're finishing up before baby comes??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jenn~
Thanks for posting this...I had heard about the Amby Hammock, but the one you posted is so much more beautiful! Where in your home are you planning to hang it? I can imagine having one in multiple rooms!

I have a friend whose husband does woodwork so I am wondering if I can talk to him about making the wooden part for us and I'll take care of the fabric. What size of fabric rectangle will you be using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're going to have hooks in different rooms and a free standing frame so that we can move the hammock to where ever we are. Haven't frigured out the frame part yet. I'm going to check the local hardware shops for a metal colapsable frame but I have a feeling DH will just end up making a wooden one. He's a woodworker/craftsman by trade which come in really handy for projects like this!!

Michele,
I would love to know how big your rectangle is!! We just kinda guess-estimated with the wooden part, which is just so beautiful. We're going to use burts bees hand salve as a finish as it is mostly wax and will leave an nice relaxing lavender smell......better then most other wax finishes!! I was thinking about making the end that you tie just a bit more tapered so we don't have to deal with so much fabric, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We are making one too, but haven't been able to find appropriate springs...I'm so glad you posted this! I have a feeling you have an answer...

Can you share what you are doing about springs/where you got them?

I haven't decided about fabric yet. We have a HUGE, I mean mammoth fabric store about an hour away and I have been thinking I would zip over there and find something beautiful. They have the biggest selection you can imagine, including a huge selection of beautiful batiks.

http://www.maryjos.com/

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucky you Tracy!!! We are so rural that any fabric that falls into the beautiful/funky category cost major $$$$$. Thus the need for me to dye some muslin. I have a few nice scraps that I'm going to use to make a patch work spring cover and maybe some trim for the muslin...if I can find enough scraps.

I'm going to a nearby town to buy the springs n'such on saturday so I'll let you know what we come up with! I think we'll use rock climbing carabeners (sp??) to fasten the hammock to spring and spring to chain.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
unity,
Kai is on his way for a late nap however i promise this evening to measure the dimensions of the fabric. Funny you mentioned about a spring cover because when we received our HH i said they should have one.. Another thing that it does have is a great safety feature ( though i dont think we need to worry) inside the spring is a string that is tied so just in case the spring was to break the string is attached so the baby/toddler wouldnt fall. I dont think i would ever break though...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Unitytree, did you guys ever get the spring for your hammock? What kind did you decide on? This is the big hangug-up (if you will
) in dh getting going on ours. He just can't figure out what kind to get.

Did you get your scraps yet? I hope you can use them for something!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, no luck with the spring so far. So far we have gotten some chain and metal ring/clippy things (should hold about 400lbs..lolol, just to be safe!!)

I am planning on calling Princess Auto which is a huge store. Homedepot said that they would have them so I just need to get my butt in gear and call them!
I just got the fabric yesterday. Thanks sooooo much!! I can't wait to get going on my rainbow cover!! Other then that the hammock is done!!! Horray!! I am asking a local sheep farmer about a sheepskin, my dog ate 50% of our last one so its become a wee cushion for the stroller!
As soone as we get the spring I'll take a picture of the hammock and post it. It so beautiful. I figure even without a spring it will be wonderful, still way better then napping in a play pen or waaayyyy down in our room. (way to far from the hub of the home) I love the idea of him/her resting in the kitchen, lulled by the sound of the children and the smells of food and tea.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Huh. An auto store? Wonder why?

We don't have that one down here. I wonder if someone else has them.

Do you mind sharing the specifications or name of what kind of spring you are looking for? Dh has done some research, but hasn't found anything that looks right. That way I could start calling around down here maybe.

I'm glad you got your scraps!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah for the amby hammock find!! Its so nice to get stuff at a good price. I think most places take such advantage of us prego mama's, they all know we want the best for our babes and man do they ever charge us for it!!!

I forgot to say, my DH is making a stand out of wood. It'll be a four legged creature with a solid top piece that the legs fit into (this will be where the hook is) the legs will be attached to eachother with a strap so that they do not splay more then the amount required for the hammock. The idea is to make it so its not to hard to collaps and bring with us. Hopefully it'll be done before babe comes, if not it won't be to long after.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a spring!!! Hoorayyyyyy!!! My Dh's boss picked one up at Princess Auto in Vancouver for us!!! We are linking the chain in with it, slacked at about 1.5 times the length of the spring. This way if the spring were to ever break the chain would catch. Its a 40lbs + spring so it'll work as long as baby/toddler has naps.

He said they had a wide selection of springs there so I would guess you could find one at a similar store (big auto place)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's awesome!

But seriously, you gotta tell me...why would an auto parts store have big springs??
I've wracked my brain trying to figure it out!

I guess I'll start calling around and see if anyone's got a 40 lb. spring...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by citizenfong
That's awesome!

But seriously, you gotta tell me...why would an auto parts store have big springs??
I've wracked my brain trying to figure it out!

I guess I'll start calling around and see if anyone's got a 40 lb. spring...
The springs are used in the suspension, as well as several other places that I can't think of just now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.