Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making stuffed animals for my girls this year! Skylar is getting a piggy, Tabby a monkey, Trinity a polar bear and Kaya a penguin. Anyone else making anything interesting for their little ones? We are buying things too but I'm enjoying these projects!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I am out of time for this year. I have made things for other people and my daughter has "helped" me make ornaments for family, but I haven't really made anything for her.

This year, I've gotten a sewing machine and I'm still learning but for next Christmas, I really want to do one of those crayon holder aprons or the roll up colored pencil holders. I'm going to try to keep my eye out for those kinds of very beginner type projects to work on over the next year. She is three and STILL not using a "big girl" pillow, but I want to do some cute cases from the www.sublimestitching.com patterns as soon as she starts. Those are so cute and I love being able to design and monogramme everything.

·
Registered
726 Posts
DD is getting a play kitchen this year so I am making her felt play food. It's nothing spectacular, just cut out shapes with a blanket stitch around the edges but it's more than I usually do crafty wise, LOL

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I knit both my kids a snake from Zoe Mellor's Knitted Toys book (it's the one on the cover). I wanted to do something different for each of them, but they both wanted the snake.

I figure I will knit them a stuffed animal every year . . . this is the first xmas I've been able to knit, so I am excited!

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I'm very proud of myself right now
: I hand-sewed a cloak for ds for Xmas and am almost finished. It actually not only looks like a cloak (something I did not expect, my sewing skills being what they are) but it looks pretty durn good!

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I am making ds felt food for the wooden kitchen set I bought on Craigslist. I am also making him a felt birthday cake for his birthday, two weeks after Christmas.

I made a felt/ribbon/glitter crown and wand for each of my 5 yo nieces, and a fleece "monster" hat for my baby nephew

·
Registered
132 Posts
A couple of years ago my sister made stuffed animal/creature things for my boys. She asked them to draw out what they would want, and she made a pattern and sewed it up. They are kinda flat, and sort of like an "*gly D*ll."

My youngest made "Spike," and my oldest made one that looked kind of like and elephant called "elefart."

For me, my sister used the drawings and embroidered them onto fabric and put them in a frame for me to hang up.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I knit dd a stocking, a santa hat and a small ball and gnome toy. I also made her two pair of legwarmers

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
i made a gingerbread house and gingerbread boy/girl out of cardboard for my dd's bday and i plan on making a puppet theater out of cardboard for her for xmas as well.
i'm a knitter but haven't had time to knit them anything for the holidays. maybe next time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was going to - I'm in the middle of knitting a blanket for DD - but there's no way it's going to be done in time
Actually, I started it before she was born, but it took much longer then I thought to get the hang of it (I'm a beginner and it involves a lot of color changes), and then DD was born and I didn't even think about it for 8 or 9 months. I picked it back up in August thinking I just might make it, but it's going to have to be more of a Valentines Day gift, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
my 16 year old isn't very little, but he's still my baby and i'm nervous that he won't like his present even though he's been asking for it all year. We have the socks and underwear tradition and this year he really, really wanted something handmade. I sew foer his little brother, but i never made his clothes. I did teach him how to mend and do some basic crafty sewing and he has very fond memories of it and an appreciation for the quality organic fabrics i use for Terran's clothes.

So including the shipping, it was $60 for enough bamboo jersey in "Christopher colours" to make five pairs of boxers and two tank tops myself. it would have cost a lot less to toss an economy-sized pack of fruit-of-the-looms in my cart at Target and the tanks wouyld have hung better and could have been worn as outerwear in the summer and i woiuldn't be so afraid of my "baby" boy being teased.

It's probably too late for Christmas. but both boys have January birthdays and Christopher wants to give Terran a stuffed animal. I am so nervous about toy safety and haven't done my research yet, but the OP has me thinking that maybe i could give Chris a refresher course on the sewing machine and pick up some fabric and batting i'd be comfortable makinbg clothes with and let him DIY instead of telling him he can order either the monkey or the giraffe online at the website I found and leave the room while I type in my credit card information because it's way too expensive for a teen with no steady employment to afford.

Any suggestions on patterns? Chris is more experienced at hand sewing than machine sewing and better at putting things together in a logical fashion than following directions. I'm also quirky about wanting Terran to experience realistic animals and nature facts before we introduce fiction with anthropomorphized animals, so no teddy bears who wear clothes and live in houses just yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Starting a couple of years ago, I'm trying to add one or two handmade gifts to my list each year. So far so good - I'll be interested to see where the balance is between handmade and overwhelmed!

Anyway, this year DS is getting a set of Waldorf playstands that DH is building. I am knitting him a hat, but I don't think it'll be finished in time for Christmas. I'm also sewing an iPod cozy for DH. It's fun to see everyone's ideas!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
my 16 year old isn't very little, but he's still my baby and i'm nervous that he won't like his present even though he's been asking for it all year. We have the socks and underwear tradition and this year he really, really wanted something handmade. I sew foer his little brother, but i never made his clothes. I did teach him how to mend and do some basic crafty sewing and he has very fond memories of it and an appreciation for the quality organic fabrics i use for Terran's clothes.

So including the shipping, it was $60 for enough bamboo jersey in "Christopher colours" to make five pairs of boxers and two tank tops myself. it would have cost a lot less to toss an economy-sized pack of fruit-of-the-looms in my cart at Target and the tanks wouyld have hung better and could have been worn as outerwear in the summer and i woiuldn't be so afraid of my "baby" boy being teased.

It's probably too late for Christmas. but both boys have January birthdays and Christopher wants to give Terran a stuffed animal. I am so nervous about toy safety and haven't done my research yet, but the OP has me thinking that maybe i could give Chris a refresher course on the sewing machine and pick up some fabric and batting i'd be comfortable makinbg clothes with and let him DIY instead of telling him he can order either the monkey or the giraffe online at the website I found and leave the room while I type in my credit card information because it's way too expensive for a teen with no steady employment to afford.

Any suggestions on patterns? Chris is more experienced at hand sewing than machine sewing and better at putting things together in a logical fashion than following directions. I'm also quirky about wanting Terran to experience realistic animals and nature facts before we introduce fiction with anthropomorphized animals, so no teddy bears who wear clothes and live in houses just yet.
I think that is so sweet that Chris wants to give his brother a stuffy
What about helping him make him a sock monkey? I love those

I am going to make DS some bean bags out of some scraps of organic cotton I have from making crib sheets. Also I might make him a sock puppet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.