Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, my babe in belly took whatever part was down OUT of my pelvis and turned transverse AGAIN.

I mean come on... breech I can handle, vertex would be great, OP is workable... but transverse?

Maybe she knows she is NOT allowed to come before 38 weeks and she is being careful not to put any pressure on my cervix. At least I know she still has room to turn, because she still does turn all the time.

Now I am just getting nervous that this babe is small too. My older DD had IUGR that wasnt caught until 38w 3d and scared the bejeezus out of us all. My fundal height is a little behind on this one now, and I am scared.

Now, I am going to spend all week poking my belly, trying to figure out which of the 3 "heads" I can feel is actually a head.

The only day I could possibly get in to see a chiro is Saturday... off to find someone to do webster on me that day.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I understand MiaMama.
Supposedly my little coconut is malpositioned.
MW was sure she was head down 3 weeks ago, but not so convinced last week.
She is going to re-evaluate Wednesday and then I may go in for an u/s.
I was sure I was feeling head on cervix and butt and feet up top, but ever since she said that, I am unsure.
Honestly, I'm not scared of having a breech baby, but I'm with you on the transverse thing.I feel like maybe coconut is just not ready yet and will get in her correct positioning in her own time.
The part that sucks for me is if she is anything other than head down, my homebirth mw won't deliver. That means I will spend my last few days here trying to find one who will.
For me, I feel like breech is not an automatic c-section. I will do all I can to turn, but if she doesn't then I will have to find smeone willing to assist in delivery.
I have even started thinking about ucing, even thought this is my first. I suppose I will cross all these bridges once we see what's up on Wed.

Keep us posted on your situation Mama. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in this "position".

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I also wanted to add. I got a birth ball Saturday and have been sitting and laying on that. Supposedly it helps baby get in a better position.
It feels good too!

I know there's a bunch of things to try, spinbabies, chiro, light, sound, etc. The ball is just my 1st step.

· Registered
3,550 Posts
I was there a week ago...she was frank breech at 35w and I was just SURE I was going to have to fight for a vaginal breech birth. My DS3 was transverse until 34w. With both of them, I spent time talking to them about how it's easier to come out the right way and turning would be better for baby and mama, and doing some gentle baby massaging in the tub. On Thursday this little one was vertex, though I think OP (I'm really bad at telling on my OWN belly what position a baby is in). OP I can live with, really. She's still not engaged and sometimes I think I feel her flip flop almost to transverse or a really weird oblique position, so I hesitate to do anything to try to turn her to an OA position, KIWM?

If she's still flip flopping and moving, chances are good that you have plenty of fluid, which would not be consistent with IUGR. It's easier for them to turn when there's a combination of a healthy amount of fluid, a smaller baby, and loose muscle tone (which I certainly have after having two babies in 18 months!).

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Chiro told me to come in tomorrow, and to just bring my 3yo with me
They told me they love kids there, and they have lots of toys and games. Even if my little bun doesn't turn, it will be worth it if they can help my back pain.

I am not a small woman. I am close to 5'10, and that is almost ALL torso. I have more trouble finding shirts that don't look like half shirts (even when not pregnant LOL) than pants that are long enough. I think I have lots of room. I just want my fundal height to be normal.

My IUGR baby had symmetrical IUGR (small head, too) which is really scary, but she had NO health problems at all before 1 yr, other than some low blood sugar at birth and a little jaundice. So, on one hand, I am not as scared of IUGR as I used to be... but a normal sized baby this time would be really nice.

At 34 wks, I measured around 33... I am 36wks now and will be measured again Thurs.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
At my last appt (34 weeks) babe was posterior, which really annoyed me because in the two weeks before, I'd started paying a lot of attention to how I sit and such and baby was anterior before the appt. So I'm doing everything I can for optimal fetal positioning, some links to check out:

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm
http://spinningbabies.com

I've moved my laptop to a table I can use my birthball with. In the evening I spend lots of time on hands and knees and draped over my birth ball -- I do it some during the day, but usually when dd is napping, otherwise she thinks I'm there for her to climb all over. I've been paying more attention to how I sleep. When sitting, I'm making sure that I'm in a good position -- I even adjusted the seat in my car for a more upright, tilted forward position as well. Basically, doing everything I can for a good position.

I'm super super committed to doing everything I can to have babe in a good position. My last was over 10lbs and I just don't want to be working on birthing a big baby that not in a great position -- good position, easier birth. I'll also be seeing my chiropractor again in a couple weeks as well just to help make sure things are aligned.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
both my kids were posterior leading up to labor but both seemed to turn during labor and I didn't have any (or at least not much) back labor. I guess I just expect the same of this one...

· Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried acupuncture? My baby is transverse as well (almost 35 weeks) and I just started a treatment series that incorporates moxubustion. I'm hoping it works. Also, have you spinningbabies.com? If this acupuncture treatment doesn't work, I'm going to try a chiropractor.

Good luck!

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

All right,
I am ready to join the ranks of weepy mommas. The chiro thought 36 weeks was a bit late to try to turn the baby... she tried anyway, and I am supposed to go see her again tomorrow. I was right, this LO is transverse again. She recommended that I have a c-section.

She also told me not to lift or hold my 3yo anymore until this baby comes.

I weighed my 3yo today, and she is not gaining like she is supposed to. She is already underweight, and can not afford to have any periods of slow/no weight gain.

Plus my stupid hubby being out of town. And I am SOOO tired. I just want to crawl back into bed until 40 weeks.

Here come the waterworks.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaMama View Post

All right,
I am ready to join the ranks of weepy mommas. The chiro thought 36 weeks was a bit late to try to turn the baby... she tried anyway, and I am supposed to go see her again tomorrow. I was right, this LO is transverse again. She recommended that I have a c-section.

She also told me not to lift or hold my 3yo anymore until this baby comes.

I weighed my 3yo today, and she is not gaining like she is supposed to. She is already underweight, and can not afford to have any periods of slow/no weight gain.

Plus my stupid hubby being out of town. And I am SOOO tired. I just want to crawl back into bed until 40 weeks.

Here come the waterworks.

Crying is o.k, so go ahead and let it out. Then afterward maybe you can try some other things. Babies still turn well after 36 weeks.
What about an external version?
Have you done all the other suggestions?
Hypnobabies, spinningbabies, moxibustion, light, talking to your babe, birth ball, couch inversion, etc.

Trying everything is worth a try Mama. Some babies may just need some coaxing or even more time. Don't give up!

If my babe is still malpositioned after tomorrows visit, I'm going down the list and trying every last thing that I can. I've started doing some, but I'm getting close to 38 wks, so it's time to pull out all stops.

· Registered
2,312 Posts
MiaMama, can you go to a different chiro? I went to the chiro at 33/34 weeks and she said it's still early but the earlier the better. My chiro is kind of known for being the pregnancy, baby flipping, etc go to gal.

How much does your 3 y/o weigh? I have a peanut of a 2 y/o (almost 2.5), he's 21 pounds. He's gained about 4 pounds since his first birthday. We just don't visit the doctor! He's IMO off the charts with mental development and fine motor skills he's just a peanut. I'm hoping your DD is much the same, off the charts in other part of development just a bity girl.

You're baby will move, you don't need a c-section because your baby will move. Can you go swimming? Handstands in the water? Lots of pelvic tilts? Ice on top of the belly and on babys head? Light at the bottom of your belly?

· Registered
7,286 Posts
My DD is 4 years old and about 26 lbs. She's been a peanut since she was about 6 months old (was in the 90th percentile for birth
)... but she's ahead on most of her milestones, so our ped doesn't seem to think it's a problem (neither do i!). Some kids are just small...

· Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree, maybe a different chiro is in order. What about a cranial sacral therapist? Or maybe try having someone do a diaphragmatic release on you (google it for instructions). I had good luck with the spinning babies inversions, the diaphragmatic release (still doing it trying to get her to turn anterior), massaging her toward the right position in the tub, and a few breech tilts (on pillows with my feet on the headboard...the ironing board trick just looked too precarious for me at this point!). I also bought and tried (once) the hypnobabies flip track, but I found that I was really really restless trying to listen to it and by the time I was ready to try again, I was pretty sure she had turned. There's a (very small) study that showed that hypnosis turned breech babies 80% of the time, and a transverse baby has less turning to do, so...

You still have time...don't despair (I know, easier said than done!!).

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no way I am scheduling a c-section on the advice of a chiro I've seen once (twice now). LOL. I also know that MY baby has plenty of room to turn because she has been breech, transverse, AND vertex all in the last 2 weeks. She is still flipping all around. I just need her to settle down a little.

Honestly, I think that I was just using it as an excuse to let myself go and cry... which I have not been doing so far. I am lonely, sore, and a bit overwhelmed because DH is out of town and DD is struggling with that a little.

I will just be so pissed if this baby is totally healthy and we end up sectioned for something like position... my daughter was not normal, and I still managed a mostly med free vaginal birth with her.

Luckily, my midwife will not automatically bump me for breech presentation, although she did warn me that she has not had a ton of experience with breech. We would evaluate the baby's position and measure head circumference to compare to butt circumference, and I am not a FTM... but it would be a conversation we would have to have. So, at this point, I don't care that much WHICH part little lady puts down, as long as my water doesn't break while she is still sideways! I am doing all the recommended exercises, postures, and techniques. If she is not vertex next week comes moxibustion. There is NO way I am giving up.

· Registered
2,312 Posts
Good for you MiaMama! And sometimes we all need a good cry. Heck I woke up yesterday and couldn't stop sobbing, my DH even stayed home for MY mental healthy. I hope a good cry can help release whatever is making your LO so indecisive about position.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaMama View Post
There is no way I am scheduling a c-section on the advice of a chiro I've seen once (twice now). LOL. I also know that MY baby has plenty of room to turn because she has been breech, transverse, AND vertex all in the last 2 weeks. She is still flipping all around. I just need her to settle down a little.

So, at this point, I don't care that much WHICH part little lady puts down, as long as my water doesn't break while she is still sideways! I am doing all the recommended exercises, postures, and techniques. If she is not vertex next week comes moxibustion. There is NO way I am giving up.

Good for you MiaMama!
I know your little miss will get into a good position soon.

After today's appt, looks like my little coconut head is now in great position, so I'm just being proactive to keep her that way.

· Registered
176 Posts
I just had my 36 week appt with my midwife yesterday and found out that my baby is probably oblique. The little one had been vertex but I am convinced it moved on Monday-- I had so many uncomfortable and strong BH ctx and in the evening felt like there was a softball sandwiched in my side (the head).

So... she told me not to worry too much yet. I am getting an ultrasound to confirm the position and that there is no placenta previa (this is my biggest fear). If a lot of tricks like moxibustion, chiro, yoga, etc don't work then there is a doctor who might try to guide the baby back into the pelvis (sounds like external version lite to me?).

In the meantime I am going to do some yoga everyday-- that could only help right? I already feel less uncomfortable than I did yesterday, but I can tell that the baby is still of to one side-- just maybe not as much.

I had a really stressful day Monday and haven't been able to even walk around much lately-- could these have caused the change in position?

· Registered
55 Posts
I was recently in the same situation. 32 weeks, vertex; 33 weeks, transverse. And then baby was breech too. He/she was moving all around! I was already getting Webster. Drove me batty, but this past Monday, baby was vertex and engaged (at almost 37 weeks). Along the way, I had heard stories of baby's turning as late as 39 1/2 weeks, so it's always possible. My Three year old did a very similar thing. My midwife said that this is maybe just how my pregnancies go. Anyway, I had a couple of serious meltdowns and expressed some fears and anxieties that I had no idea I was feeling, so at least I got those out of the way! Crossing my fingers for you all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.