Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've been measuring ahead for quite a while now. I was measuring 38 two weeks ago when I went in (at 31 weeks). I have an appointment tomorrow and will let you know. There are so many things that can influence the measurement, though. Level of fluid, position of baby, length of mama's torso, etc. Did your care provider say anything about it?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I'm always a few weeks ahead. I'm 36w3d and measuring 39.

All that means is that your weeks don't match the cm from pubis to top of your uterus. I think it's weird to think it would, really. You're fine, I'm sure. If you're way off, then they worry, but you're within normal :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've been measuring ahead my whole pregnancy. At some points I was measuring 5 weeks ahead. I have had an ultrasound and everything is fine. My midwives say its just my anatomy and nothing to worry about. If your provider isn't worried about it then I wouldn't be either.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My midwives don't worry unless there is a +/- 4 week measurement, as long as there are no other weird symptoms or signs.

I measure about 1-3 weeks behind consistently, until last week, when I measured perfectly on time, it was the only appt at which the baby was head down. Now that she's back to transverse/oblique/breech (all 3 on any given day), my measurements this week were back to one week behind.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was measuring +5 at my last appointment. They were measuring me wrong though (due to the position I was laying in) and I am actually +3 ahead. They are not concerned. They said they can feel that the baby is still high and the head is still floating and that is why...well, that plus I have 9 lb babies.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I've been measuring ahead this pregnancy, as well, generally from 3-4 weeks ahead. Unfortunately, my midwives were concerned because DS was big. They wanted to rule out GD and once that was ruled out, they've laid off me. Of course, at my last appointment I was only measuring 2 weeks ahead. Now with DS, who was 9 lb 14 1/2 oz, I measured on time.

I'm with Becky. I think it's crazy to think cm should match up to weeks.
shrug.gif

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yes, I have to say I am very confused about this cm=weeks thing. And pretty sure at this point that it's total BS, because where I live they don't expect the cm to match weeks *at all*. Last week at 36+3 I measured 34.5 cm, and that was a generous measure (the first time she measured she got 31.5 cm - that in itself should say something). If I were to have measured 36+ cm, it would have been outside of the little "average" curve on my chart, and I would have been "measuring ahead". As it is I've been right in the middle of the "average" curve this whole pregnancy, but apparently in the US I would have been measuring "behind" the whole time. Apparently they have different standards here. So I've just gotten SO skeptical about the fundus measurement at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My fundal measurements are always right on....however, since my second u/s at 12 weeks this babe has been measuring at least 1-2 weeks ahead. Last time his head was about 3 weeks ahead. So, who knows. My OB always makes the comment "looking at your fundal height and belly, I wouldn't think you were having a big baby". Bizarre-O.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Last week at my 36 week appt I was measuring at 40 weeks. I have always measured big. My babies have been different sizes and I've always been big. I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless like someone else posted you have other symptoms that they worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.