Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m 33 weeks, measuring 36 weeks at my OB visit today. 2 weeks ago {31 weeks} I measured 33 weeks.

What could be causing this? And do I need to worry? Anyone else having this happen?

My OB scheduled a sono next week to check fluid levels and the baby's size.

I'm hoping its just that this little one likes to stretch out - I can feel her pushing out a lot of the time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
me too! so far, after week 33, i am consistantly two centimeters ahead of 'the curve.'

so far all indications are that my babe is simply a big one! who likes to stretch out... alot....
gawsh, wish me luck getting him outta there.

i hope all is good for you too,
very best wishes,
and good luck

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can get pretty different measurements depending on the person doing the measuring, where the baby's head is or how baby is positioned generally. I've read that late in pregnancy fundal height can be less accurate than in earlier stages, and 1-3 inches variation is pretty normal. I don't think it means too much necessarily without some other indicators (like GD or uncertainty about conception date). And this is when baby is packing on the pounds, so if you're going to have a big'un, this is when s/he will reveal him/herself!

Remember, your body is building this baby, your body can birth this baby!

(Does anyone else have birthing affirmation cards?)

·
Registered
376 Posts
hey there, new girl again...
at 25wks i was measuring 29! but now consistently 2 ahead, and there's absolutely no question about the conception time frame. hoping he's not gonna be a whopper but like the last post im commited to believing that my body can definitely handle whatever it makes! just happy that he seems soooo healthy!!! glad to hear you ladies seem to be doing so well with yours!!

jen
: loving mama to raven
(lost at 39wks 10/04/04)
and excited about ds to come felix? 09/27/06 planning on
:
:
:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just had my 32 week appt and was measuring 32. That's unusal for me since with both other two I was always 2 ahead. At my 28 week though I was measuring 31 so I think this little one is just playing with positioning at this point.

Deb

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I've been measuring ahead since 12 weeks although scan at that point confirmed my dates and the baby was the 'correct' size. I'm still measuring ahead but yesterday the OB didn't measure me so that was good!

Positioning does make a real difference to size of belly and as the baby moves down and engages you can end up with odd measurements again.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - its totally random to match cm to weeks gestation. What if we measured in a different unit? What then?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have been measuring "big" too.
25 cm at 24 wks (+1)
30 cm at 28 wks (+2)
35 cm at 32 wks (+3)

I am not worried about birthing a big baby, I am worried that my providers will freak out and want to do more interventions (induction) than I want to do. So far they are saying it's no big thing, we'll wait and see, often the numbers match up better later. They will want me to get an u/s if I am much over at 36/37 weeks... I'm not so sure about that... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I have been bookmarking websites of studies about the accuracy of 3rd tri u/s and the value of inductions due to "too big" babies (basically, it appears there is none.) Hopefully I will not have to print those suckers out and take them in and argue.
My 34 wk appt is tomorrow, so I'll be curious how I measure then.

Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one! Keep us posted, everyone. Take care dakotamidnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts