Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of kids' CDs. DS likes them, but they annoy the heck out of me, so we very rarely listen to them. We listen to stuff like Celtic Woman and Evanescence, plus the hard rock radio station. DS loves singing along with me. My boss thinks I'm weird for letting DS listen to "grown-up" music.

Anybody else skip kids' music altogether and just listen to whatever you like?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Do Beatles count as kids' music?

I can only deal with a few kids CDs. Animaniacs, Schoolhouse Rock, Signing Time. That's it. The rest, the annoying Farmer In the Dell type things, they need to stay out of the house.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well, mostly. We do *watch* the Backyardigans, though. They've got awesome music. Other than that, Lucy listens to what we listen to. Which means when she's in the car with me, she's listening to NPR, and with her dad, she listens to college radio (lots of hardcore and noise), classical, ska and reggae/dub!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
We do very little kids music (although the backyardagins is on *my* wishlist . . . ). I can't imagine what the harm is in letting kids listen to quality real music rather than crappy kid stuff. My girls really like U2 (which sparked an interest in Opera), they are into classical, rap, showtunes, you name it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There are a couple of children's recordings I like, often by performers that perform for adults too. Choo Choo Boogaloo by Buckwheat Zydeco was a favorite in our house.

What I can't stand is music that is sung by children (unless it's my own child who of course sounds like an angel
) or saccharinely sweet (is that a UA should I say "sweet as honey") stuff.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Add us to the group of little to no kids music. The only thing that my kids have that is at all kids music is Anne Murray's "Hippo in the Bathtub" and even that one I can't deal with too often.
We mostly listen to a station that does hits of the 60's, 70's and 80's and some country music. We also do a fair amount of Classical at home, I can't drive to it.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Nope. She doesn't respond to it like she does when I stop on the XM reggae station. And bag pipes.
: Though when I listen to that I'd gladly take 'The Wheels On The Bus' instead.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
My son knows just about every word to "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood and "Beer in Mexico" by Kenny Chesney. I didn't force these obesssions upon him, he picked them himself but boy howdy is it an OBSESSION now...I've listened to Beore He Cheats literally 1000 times (my music player on my computer has a counter, it's at over 1000 right now) We have to listen to Beer in Mexico every time we're in the car (it's in the van CD player)

So nope, no kids music here!

·
Registered
154 Posts
We don't do kids music. We had a kid's cd, but it got "lost" in the move. It drove me absolutely insane. Poppy and I flew home to visit my parents not too long ago, and my mom downloaded some Raffi albums off iTunes for dd. She asked to listen to David Bowie instead. (Although she has good taste and only likes Berlin-Era and previous David Bowie...and hearing "mama, I want to listen to Rebel Rebel" is just about the cutest thing one's two year old could possibly say.) Raffi still makes my brother and I cringe, and I'm 27 now!!

We do love the music in Yo Gabba Gabba, but that's because it's for kids of indie-rock parents.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Andy asks for "more James Tay-lah!" and "mas a-c-d-c!" and "MORE DAVE!"
no, no kiddie music here, just classic tunes with good beats, mostly singer/songwriter stuff. We sing him songs like twinkle twinkle and the alphabet song when he's going to bed, but nothing recorded. Oh, and we watch classic sesame street clips on youtube, and he's taken to asking for "ladybug 12! ladybug 12 awesome!" but I only play him things I remember liking in my own childhood
:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't play kids music for my daughter, but I do teach her some of the songs because they are easy to sing. As for what we listen to, well.. it's really adorable to see a 2 year old sing along to Beautiful Dreamer

·
Registered
652 Posts
i have all the kid's bops on my computer, and they are able to listen when i'm showering or in the other room or something.

i also download all their current faves, if they are acceptable...raegan even likes some silly country song and sings it allllll the time. something about spreading wings and flying...or flying away tomorrow, gah!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have a really nice CD of spanish guitar lullabyes that I love, that is about the only kids music we listen too.

DD is 2 and a half, and she loves reggae, and The Kinks, and Bob Dylan. I had Bob on in the car the other day and she's in her carseat singing "OH! Mama!" (to be stuck inside of mobile, with the memphis blues again...)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.