Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean when experiencing nausea or general yuckiness in the beginning- I mean the rest of the time. When I was pregnant with my daughter, we took classes taught by our Doula. She had us write down everything we ate for 3 days. I thought I did really well.....she basically told me I really don't eat enough.

I'm starting to think this is a pattern, because again, I feel totally myself again now and I just don't eat a lot. Normally I'm a good eater, I LOVE food, totally an obsessed foodie. But I just don't seem to be able to put much away at all.

I feel guilty for sure. I know I need to be eating well and feeding my baby and my body. I don't go hungry. In general I am a very healthy eater.

Yesterday I went to Chipotle for lunch and I ate an ENTIRE burrito, which is no small feat. But I could barely eat anything else for the rest of the day. Of course I'm sure that burrito had enough calories for the whole day as it is.

It's hard not to get anxious as I look ahead and remember (which I'm sure is not proper phrasing) how small my stomach got when I was at the end of my pregnancy with my daughter, 2 bites and I was full. It just seems so messed up.

Of course I made up for it right after giving birth by inhaling everything I could get my hands on for about a year. Nursing made me famished. No wonder it took me a year and a half to get that baby weight off.

anyone else just not eat a whole lot when they are pregnant?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Me!!

Eating actually becomes a chore when I'm pregnant. There are days scattered here and there during those 9 months when I eat a lot, but after days like those, I eat very little for days. I actually always deliver my babies weighing less than when I do before becoming pregnant. I am overweight to begin with though, so it's not as worrisome as if I wasn't pregnant.

But, Like you- I eat like CRAZY for that first year- I end up gaining quite a bit despite EBFing.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Interesting. With this pregnancy I just don't feel ravenous the way I did with the first two. I have to remind myself to eat. Weird.

I also have always gained weight when breastfeeding. I just feel sooo hungry then.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Yeah, here too. I struggle to find something my stomach will accept, and even then I don't want much of it. I'm eating as much as I can, but I'm 14.5 weeks and have yet to gain a single pound. I look over each meal before I'm done, thinking whether I can coax more down. And, frustratingly, my nausea seems to be returning, or maybe not nausea exactly, but my stomach gets really upset, especially after I eat.

Oh, and I'm normally a foodie, too.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Me too. I have ZERO appetite so every few hours I just eat something. I continue to have some nausea so it makes it harder. But in general I eat bfast, lunch dinner and a snack at 3, another snack at 9. I have a hard time eating any more than that! I am a vegetarian too so I always feel the protein isn't enough, and the calories and good fats too. ugh! It doesn't help that I don't like smoothies.

Despite gaining only about 20 pounds in my pregnancies previously (after I lost 10 in the first tri), I have these enormous 9-almost 11 pound babies!! It's crazy. And then yes, I do gain breastfeeding and lose it when they wean (around 2).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I never have a big appetite when prego. I eat the same or less then when I am not pregnant. I have normal weight gain though. I always forget to hand in the meal sheet to my midwife because I already know what they will say. Like today I have had a piece of toast and half my 3 year old sandwich. lol It's 1:00 not exactly the required calorie count.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Interesting. With this pregnancy I just don't feel ravenous the way I did with the first two. I have to remind myself to eat. Weird.

I also have always gained weight when breastfeeding. I just feel sooo hungry then.
OK so I jinxed myself and now today I am soooo hungry!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. It always helps to feel related to a little.

That mommy guilt is pretty strong stuff though, gets you well before you even that baby in your arms!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ditto here!! I am SUCH a "foodie", as pp said, when not pg, but when I'm pregnant I'm just not that hungry- and this one seems to be even more so than my previous ones. With no nausea for weeks. I'm about to be 20 weeks & I still haven't gained a pound. I thought I had for a few days, but then realized that I was weighing late in the day, so when I weighed in the AM I was back to +0.

There are some days when I'm really hungry or really crave something specific, but otherwise, I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat as much as I can from my plate, and feeling like I should have eaten more. I think I remember that I was more ravenous and had no problem "eating for two" towards the end of my previous pregnancies. Hope that happens with this one.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I felt like this in my first two pregnancies, with my girls. I barely gained with them both and but they were both healthy weights 8 1/2 lbs and 7 1/2 lbs. (I am pretty thin to begin with)

This time, though, I eat *two* loaded burritos for supper! (after a minute or two to digest) I'm so hungry and craving healthy food.

It's always different.. follow your body's lead and make sure that what you are eating is of the highest quality and nutritional density (organic, free-range, etc etc)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't know about "not much", but I think the occasions when I ate more food than when not pg were few & far between with my last pg. (My stomach is still not 100% settled yet this time around). I remember maybe 2 or 3 nights when I woke up in the middle of the night and HAD to eat, right then, but NOTHing compared to the ravenous appetite from breastfeeding!

I have barely wanted to eat the past couple of days, I have a cold. I think that I go to 4 fairly small meals most days when my stomach settles back down. And, thankfully, almost no desire to eat sweets, maybe once every couple weeks!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I kind of go back and forth. I am not normally a big eater though. I hardly ever get hungry-- I did notice hunger more in the first tri, but I still ended up losing weight since it was so hard to eat over the nausea/food aversions. I still haven't gained any, besides gaining back the little bit that I lost (most of it, I think I'm still in the hole a few pounds).

Sometimes I feel particularly ravenous and probably eat a little more than I need to, other times I realise I've had very little to eat all day and should really eat something, even though I'm not particularly hungry.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I go in spurts. Some days I don't eat very much and some days I could eat the house. No matter what, i am always hungry at 9pm. Every night, it never fails. I call it second dinner although it's usually just a bowl of cheerios

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.