Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good tips to get more BM when I pump? My supply is great, in fact it's so good I overfeed my baby often (even though I know we technically can't overfeed while BFing) - he spits up a LOT! But when I pump I get NADA. I spent 30 min pumping earlier today (I will be away from my baby for 5-7 hours on Sat so want to make a stash for my mom, who will be babysitting) and got ONE stinkin' ounce! I was pumping from one breast while nursing from the other.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wow! I would suggest pumping while nursing, but you're already doing that! I know a lot of moms who struggle to get milk out while pumping. I wish I had suggestions; seems you've tried them already. Perhaps it's a conflict withe the pump. Have you tried manual expression? The Marmet Technique can be very effective for many people, myself included. Perhaps manually expressing into a cup while nursing on the other side might work?

Hope you find a solution soon!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
When I started pumping, it took a long time for my body to get used to the pump. I would pump only an ounce or so each session. It got better as I used the pump more.

Now my record is 8 ounces in 20 minutes!!!!!

Doing breast compressions can help, basically massage your breast down towards the nipple.

Also, make sure you are super relaxed and content.

I find the best pumping is in the early morning, most women are really productive then I hear, and that seems to be true for me too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies!! :)

WOW 8 oz in a sitting??? :) I have 8 oz so far but has taken 2 days (about 8 sittings or so). I think I will need another 4 oz just to be on the safe side, so will def be trying the early morning to pump!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had the same problem. Good supply, got 8-9 oz when pumping if lucky. I used a manual Avent pump. A few strategies that did work...pump between feedings..or have DH give milk in bottle from freezer stash while you pump. Carrot juice with wheat grass caused AMAZING letdown. I also drank MOthers Milk tea..that seemed to help some too. I found the best was when I pumped at work.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post

Great suggestions above; also warm, damp cloths, or reverse-pressure softening to trigger let-down?
What is reverse pressure?

I did the early morning session this morning and got almost 2.5 oz from one breast (I nurse from the other while pumping), a record for me! :) I now have 9 or 10 oz so I think I need another 2-4 oz to be safe (I'll be gone from 5pm to midnight or later).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Brilliant news!

Reverse pressure softening is a technique which is really helpful for softening the areola if engorged to facilitate latching; it also often triggers let-down so some mums find that it helps prior to expressin even if not engorged.

(From the article below)

"Steady stimulation of nerves under the areola automatically triggers the milk ejection reflex, propelling milk forward in the breast, nearly always within 1-2 minutes or less."

Essentially, you use your fingertips to put pressure around the areola (about where baby's mouth would go), and press back for a minute or so.

Full desciption here including various methods (my personal preference is for what Jean Cotterman terms the one-handed flower hold, but that's just me).

http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/RPS_Cotterman_ver2005.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.