Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering... my SIL thinks that I should have already started having them but I haven't felt anything like contractions at all. I'm 36 weeks, 4 days right now.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! that's what I thought, but hey... someone who has birthed two kids says "should" and you start second guessing yourself.

Anyway, I talked to a friend last night who stated that she never had Braxton Hicks but she did have uterine twinges right in the middle of her lower abdomen. She also said that the uterine sensations overall got weirder and weirder the closer she got to giving birth.
Maybe those were just her personal Braxton Hicks?

This morning before getting up (and maybe because I was thinking about it) I felt very light twinges in the lowest part of my abdomen and into my groin. But these were super-close together - like one on every count of 3 for a few minutes, then up to 9, then every count of 2 or 3... this went on for about 10 min and both DP and I could feel them from the outside of my belly. The movement was wide enough and regular enough that it would be very difficult for it to be the baby to accomplish, especially with his head down (yay!). Hmmm... is that all it takes to qualify as BH? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

· Registered
451 Posts
I've only had a couple total, when I had a really emotional weekend (funeral, 2 ER visits and an emergency vet visit), but other than that, have just had the back cramping pains...

sometimes I have noticed that my abdomen has been tighter just by touching it, but haven't felt the tightening or anything unless I poke it myself.

· Registered
79 Posts
I haven't had any (37 weeks today) and my MW said it is good that I haven't. She said they can be a sign that you are dehydrated or stressed. I don't know if that's true but I'm going with it since it makes me feel good

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I have tons of bh contractions and have each and every pregnancy. I felt them around 6 weeks with this pg, and have them a lot when I change position or try to go up the stairs too fast. They don't hurt. My uterus just gets real tight and i have a hard time moving until they are over (because they push the babies head harder into my bladder).

As far as I have read, most women have them, but just they might not get strong enough to notice.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
I never felt a single BH or even a contraction with DD1 before I was (bullied into being) induced.

I've had some of what I assume are BH and a couple (like one one night and then another 3 days later) real contractions. And I'm 37 weeks, 4 cms and almost fully effaced - things are happening, labor is impending, but I'm not really feeling it all. Same with DD1 - I was 3 cms and 100% for weeks before the induction and I never felt anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.