Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just really like plain colored cotton t-shirts with his wool longies or soakers. I hate the idea of spending money on expensive kiddo clothes that doesn't 'do' anything, whereas a diapering product seems beautiful AND functional, and therefore SO worth the $$$, to me. (Plus I have a lot of wool pants that double as a diaper cover over his fitteds, and I like that system for ease of use.) Anyway.... am I the only one who only sends mad cash to the wool knitters and diaper sewers and is conservative on name-brand clothes?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I buy all my dd's clothes at thrift shops if that counts
Although I actually do like cute clothes - I just can't see spending all that $$ on them. I love finding a Baby Gap dress or a pair of Osh Kosh overalls for a quarter :LOL

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Nope count me into the I love the gap and gymboree crowd........ I love for my kids to look good....... My 10 yr old wears what ever is the in thing..... with the exception to the low cut belly showing stuff..... nothing slutty for her........ And Ryan is always in nice cloths........ I buy good dipes for function and I buy good cloths because they wash well and resell nicely.........

edit to add I buy on sale alot...... Gap online has great sales as does the gymboree. why buy walmart when i can get gap for the same price.....

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My kids are the first grandkids on both sides of the family. I rarely buy anything! When I do, I stock up at a local Mothers of Twins sale. I get a season's worth for $20-40! And that's usually practical, plain stuff that they can play in. I know their Aunty will get them beautiful pieces, as she is the fashionista in the family!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
No. You are insane. :)

No, seriously, I WON'T pay as much for clothes as I do for diapers. But I do always try to get good brands when they go on sale. We lived near the Hanna Andersson outlet when the first two kids were young and they looked like Hanna catalog models for most of their early years (and for $5 per piece). Now we're further away but I still find that I'm very unhappy with how the cheap clothes hold up (and shrink). I do a lot of Marshalls/TJ Maxx shopping and troll the Lands End overstocks constantly. Now if only there were a Marshalls for Fluffymail and Righteous Baby, THEN I'd be in heaven!

Also, I feel a certain cosmic satisfaction when I happen to get print diapers that have a recognizeable print, like an Osh Kosh or Flapdoodles or whatever--it's like it combines the two drives for lovely clothes and lovely diapers. Now I just need to find Hanna fabric in their wonderful and indestructable interlock--that would be the best fitted outer layer EVER.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've spent maybe $50 total on all of my son's clothes--my mom buys most of his at garage sales and the rest were gifts. I'd love to get more Hanna Andersson stuff, so I think I'll point family members to the HA outlet in my area for holidays. But I definitely don't spend much on clothes for him--I'm sort of picky with what I take from garage sales, but it's rare that more than $2 is paid for an outfit.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I like plainer styles, but I do shop at Gap and Hanna and Gymboree. I also love www.babystyle.com for basics.

Cheap is too expensive. You'll have to buy again if you don' buy quality the first time.

I buy almost everything on sale, on ebay, or in consignment shops, though. I can't afford full price.
Sometimes Grandmas take us shopping, too. Dd is the only grandchild, so she is pretty spoiled on the clothing front.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm with you, Susan. I can't see spending a bunch on something gigantor is going to outgrow in a month. My dd is a tree climbing, dirt digging, stick waving, grass stain magnet, so I have to get high quality stuff for her or it may as well be made of paper
I've found Hanna, Land's End, Gap and all that stuff at our goodwill. I love living near fancy-schmancy neighborhoods, lol.
To keep this diaper related, today I found a little blue acrylic soaker for a buck.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Well I like Rhys to look nice but I don't require him to wear brand names. Many of his clothes are from Wal-mart quite frankly because they wear like iron (most of the brands...there are a few that I avoid) and they are cheap. The one thing I will spend more $$ on are overalls because finding them in the bigger sizes is getting more difficult (what is up with that by the way!) and I love the way overalls and shortalls look on him

DH loves to buy him Old Navy stuff but I indulge that because I can usually get it really cheap which satisfies me and DH at the same time LOL! Rhys wore lots and lots of brand names when he was an infant because I bought them at Value Village, the Salvation Army and a local thrift shop. As he got older the nice not ratty clothes became slim pickings so he started to wear more Wal-mart stuff.

Steph

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
We don't spend a lot either ... ds#2 is wearing a lot that used to be ds#1's ... and most all of it came from Target. MIL buys quicksilver and Gap for them, but not us.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I love Gymbo & GAP...ON SALE!
I refuse to pay full price when I know they'll be on sale eventually.

I do prefer a cute top or dress with a wool soaker or shorts, though. I don't necessarily need matching outfits.

Oh, and I don't care for clothes with the brand name plastered across the front (but I don't mind it on dipes, go figure, lol)

ETA: Hanna Andersson outlet is the COOLEST! And her clothes fit very well over a big ole cloth butt.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amicrazyyet
I like expensive clothes with a simplistic look. I can't stand cheap clothes that lose their color or stretch out of shape. So give me a high quality t-shirt with a pair of longies and I am good.

Amen to that. I really dislike "cheap" clothes that really aren't when you consider the shrinkage, fading, ill fit, and just plain poor construction. And cheaply made underwear???! I could care less about the name, but I do want really good fabrics and design. I also don't care for the tacky, busy designs that seem to be everywhere in the department and chain stores. I usually buy hanna andersson, land's end, and gymboree. Almost always on sale.

-Kimberly

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellieblue

Oh, and I don't care for clothes with the brand name plastered across the front.
Ugh. Me either. I can't stand Old Navy because so much of their stuff says "OLD NAVY" across the front.
: I just don't wanna pay them to have my kid be their billboard. Doesn't matter what the brand is.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I always want Ross to look nice but honestly most of his clothing comes from Goodwill, consignment stores, and yard sales. I'm very picky about what I choose for him from those different places but he always looks nice and that's all I care!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sorry.....I LOVE CLOTHES!!!! Love love love them!!!!

Not for me but for my kids~~I am in absolute bliss when GYMBO or Janie & Jack come out with a new line!! Plus, the resale on EBAY is so high for those brands that I always have money to buy more.....out with the old & in with the new. As soon as they outgrow things, I snap a pic & list em on EBAY.

Last fall I made over a thousand dollars selling clothes & that all went in to what they needed for this year.

My kids are very active tree climbing, dirt digging kids but I am FANATICAL about laundry & can manage to get out any stain.

I guess it's my hobby

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i lOVE expensive clothes. i try to stick to dresses for my oldest, easier for pottying
anything baby gap, gymbo, hanna. the babe is usually in a baby gap tshirt and soaker or shorts or wool cover to match. we just spent 2 days in the car and bella had on a tshirt and wool and so did xandra ( a soaker over her undies, just in case
..... ) everyone! loved her little "shorts". LOL. for the most part that's what we do, but they are still high quality clothes.

oh, i also almost always buy " on sale ".

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I like classic styles/lines/colors and lasting function. But I am blessed to have generous folks giving us hand-me-downs and I have a good eye at Goodwill.

But no, I wouldn't dream of spending much money on clothes.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts