Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just really like plain colored cotton t-shirts with his wool longies or soakers. I hate the idea of spending money on expensive kiddo clothes that doesn't 'do' anything, whereas a diapering product seems beautiful AND functional, and therefore SO worth the $$$, to me. (Plus I have a lot of wool pants that double as a diaper cover over his fitteds, and I like that system for ease of use.) Anyway.... am I the only one who only sends mad cash to the wool knitters and diaper sewers and is conservative on name-brand clothes?

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To be fair, I have no idea what the options are in the US. When I was pregnant last summer, I did get all my son's clothes for the first 9 months through new and used lots in ebay, for around 50 cents each, and I was amazed at the quality of the used stuff--they were obviously only used once and I enjoyed the bargain.
However, H&M (Hennes&Mauritz) is the trendy, fun store of choice around here, and the baby clothes there have held up just as well, and are really cheap compared to the name brands I have heard mentioned in this thread and that I saw printed on the label of his infant clothes. Then there are the department store options, and boutique options, and it blows my mind how much an outfit for a baby or toddler goes for there. I like to admire the options at 'Prince and Princess', a local boutique, but I wouldn't spend that much on a jacket for my husband, so why would I get a little jacket that will be worn twice before my son grows out of it?

I think the logic that you can either waste your money with crappola, or join the gymbo-bandwagon, is faulty. There simply are other options around here for finding cute, quality stuff, that's not a big 'name brand' and I assume there must be in the states.

I like for my son to look good, too, but like I said, I think the cutest thing ever is a plain colored matching (quality) t-shirt with an embroidered pair of soaker pants. In the winter, I prefer a long sleeved organic merino jersey knit wool onesie buttoned up underneath his pants. I have several of those, and they are awesome and soft. They're about 30 dollars each but what quality!

Anyway, Julie thanks for saying what you did--I just wanted to know i wasn't the only one!

ETA: if it's your hobby to buy and sell on ebay, then that's so fine and sweet! Nothing wrong with that! I just wondered if I was the only one un-inspired to part with $$$ for name brands to start with (assuming I can find cheaper stuff that's as nice, but not name brand).

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryansmom02
Nope count me into the I love the gap and gymboree crowd........ I love for my kids to look good....... My 10 yr old wears what ever is the in thing.....
While I agree with Stacey that we shouldn't pass judgment on other mamas for how they dress their babies and why (and I also agree that they don't need to explain their reasons or if they buy on sale or resale on ebay or whatever), I resent comments like this that implies that if I don't get trendy name brand clothes for my child, I don't love for him to look good. I'm sorry but I am also
crazy bonkers insanely addicted to getting cute things to put on my cute child, but I don't get the need for brand names in that. I'm such a wool hyena, I guess, that I am really just thrilled with how adorable wool knit pants (or a soaker, soaker shorts, whatever) and a plain matching t-shirt (quality! of course not one that fades or gets disformed in the wash) looks.

This thread was not intended to demand that gymboree addicts explain and justify their behavior, but simply to see if there were other mamas on this board who saw things the way I do, and was kinda ga-ga-overboard into buying diapers and wool but not Gap. You see, I get that we all have our vices and may spend too much on different kinds of stuff, and I figured I had to not be the only one who would spend 20 dollars on a great fitted diaper and 100 or more on awesome wool, but not much money on mass-produced name brand children's clothes (partly because it's not as special/fun as buying WAHM and partly because it isn't functional--it doesn't do anything in addiction to being cute). I just wanted to do a 'roll call' if you will, for those of us who aren't into name brand clothes but are into diapers.

ETA: we do have a few nice Marimekko pieces from MIL and some cute embroidered winnie the pooh items like a warm cotton zip-up hoodie sweatshirt for Finnish summer (from H&M) as well as even a boutique silk/cotton blend zip up sweater that I couldn't resist because of the quality of the yarn (from a crunchy local store called 'The Earth Collection' where I get some of my clothes), and even jeans, overalls, khakis, etc. so it's not like I'm as extreme as maybe I sound....I just vastly prefer the simple (but colorful!) shirt + wool pants (that double as diaper cover over a fitted).

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Well the flaw in your argument that keeps getting to me is this: name brands = looking nice ......

That just isn't true. They are not one in the same thing. I'm sure there are lots of nice looking name brand clothes out there (and not so nice looking stuff with a big label on it too) as well as nice looking clothes that aren't big names.
And it doesn't have to be kool sheep soaker pants that my son wears, wool that is made from his grandma and godmama are just as cute and loved equally. You can have a child 'looking good' or 'dressed nice' or however you want to phrase it, without buying name brands. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the name brands, just that they aren't a prerequisite to having nicely dressed children.

And, Aurora, I do snap the wool onesie right on top of the diaper and then put the pants on over it. The wool gets wet in the wet zone, of course, but it doesn't wick up the stomach at all, it just stays moist in the wet zone and then passes through so that the soaker pants can do their work. I sometimes just change the fitted diaper and snap the same wool onesie right back on, because that part of the wool doesn't come into contact with my son, but if it's really wet I change out the onesie, too. HTH! I'm now just using t-shirts and wool pants, and feel confident using the same pants all day, just changing the diaper frequently, but at home I swap the pants/shorts/soaker at every change just for fun.

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Hennes & Mauritz... it's a fun, trendy dept. store with clothes for all ages/genders.... there is one on fifth avenue in Manhattan, for example, they had one in the rural area I went to college in (western Massachusetts--it's at the 'Holyoke Mall' which is off 91 and 90/masspike), and they have two on the main street in the city I live in here.

priced CHEAP and super cute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.