Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

· Registered
993 Posts
thankfully, most of the chicken noodle stuff is for girls, but every once in a while they make a boys outfit (no, please god-not another boys outfit-I am BROKE). You can browse ebay and find tons of girly chicken noodle stuff-they use really cute, funky prints in very interesting ways-very ME and I LOVE it-but, I have discovered that when I have the time, I can make stuff just as cute (or cuter) for a fraction of the cost

Shan

· Registered
2,666 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimisaur
But....what else would I do with my hannas if I don't have another girl to hand them down to, or know someone who wants them? What other use am I missing out on?
: DH is totally opposed to having a garage sale, so all of our toys and clothes get donated.... Now diapers, diapers I hang onto. Probably forever....

-Kimberly
eBay those babies!! Seriously, Hanna has a fantastic re-sale value on eBay. Or post them on the TP here.

I love Gymbo (mainly for DD), Hanna and LandsEnd. Okay, I admit I do matching outfits from Hanna for DD and DS. They are also the only sleepers we use. Love how soft and durable they are. I don't think I've ever paid full price for any of it though. I always hit the sales. In fact,
:
: I usually buy too much.
:
: I also hit Ross, Marshall's and TJMaxx and will stock up on some stuff there. I just went through today and sorted a bunch of stuff that I'm going to sell. Stuff the kids have outgrown, or styles I just really didn't "love" so I'm getting rid of instead of keeping for Radish. Stuff that got "lost" in the back of the closet
:
: and never got worn.

When my DD was in diapers, I love dressing her in a diaper and a swingtop (often matching
) to show it off. And I love putting DS in a t-shirt and showing off his diaper or really cute soaker. It's really hard to find nice plain standard colors (not neon, or day-glo) t-shirts that don't look like #*%^@ after 2 washes. I'll buy a bunch whenever I do come across some.

· Registered
3,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
:LOL Same here. Now I really want to see these chicken noodle clothes.
Me too! :LOL

You know what though, the only ppl who would recognize the name brands are ppl who buy them. I have no idea what brand kids are wearing when I see them and I really don't care! Dunno... I just don't get it.

· Registered
559 Posts
total thrift and resale shopper here, we have a childrens store that sells brand new stuff but its all the excess from the stores ussually over stock items. So I can find say a brand new Gymboree outfit that would normally sell for $40 I can but the exact same for like $12.00 and were talking nice nice things. I also don't buy a bunch of stuff since I do laundry every few days anyways I only buy DD about 4-6 things in each size. Plus she gets clothers from her grandparents ect.. Now I also don't buy expensive cloth...

Deanna

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To be fair, I have no idea what the options are in the US. When I was pregnant last summer, I did get all my son's clothes for the first 9 months through new and used lots in ebay, for around 50 cents each, and I was amazed at the quality of the used stuff--they were obviously only used once and I enjoyed the bargain.
However, H&M (Hennes&Mauritz) is the trendy, fun store of choice around here, and the baby clothes there have held up just as well, and are really cheap compared to the name brands I have heard mentioned in this thread and that I saw printed on the label of his infant clothes. Then there are the department store options, and boutique options, and it blows my mind how much an outfit for a baby or toddler goes for there. I like to admire the options at 'Prince and Princess', a local boutique, but I wouldn't spend that much on a jacket for my husband, so why would I get a little jacket that will be worn twice before my son grows out of it?

I think the logic that you can either waste your money with crappola, or join the gymbo-bandwagon, is faulty. There simply are other options around here for finding cute, quality stuff, that's not a big 'name brand' and I assume there must be in the states.

I like for my son to look good, too, but like I said, I think the cutest thing ever is a plain colored matching (quality) t-shirt with an embroidered pair of soaker pants. In the winter, I prefer a long sleeved organic merino jersey knit wool onesie buttoned up underneath his pants. I have several of those, and they are awesome and soft. They're about 30 dollars each but what quality!

Anyway, Julie thanks for saying what you did--I just wanted to know i wasn't the only one!

ETA: if it's your hobby to buy and sell on ebay, then that's so fine and sweet! Nothing wrong with that! I just wondered if I was the only one un-inspired to part with $$$ for name brands to start with (assuming I can find cheaper stuff that's as nice, but not name brand).

· Registered
3,886 Posts
OHHHHHH< ANGELICA!!! EVIL GIRL!!!!!

I
H&M. I shopped there in Norway.

I STALK their US site to find out when I can start buying online from them. Not yet!

I seriously got 4 shirts and 2 pairs of pants there (for ME) for a whopping total of $12!!! This was at their post-Christmas sale in Oslo. Oh man, I
H&M!!

· Registered
2,916 Posts
I don't spend mad cash on diapers, I only get what I need.

And for clothing, occasionally I hit the clearance racks at the outlets, but most of Amber's clothes are second hand or purchased by Grandma. I will only put 2nd hand clothing on her if it's in excellent condition. I don't care much for brand names either way, BUT, I would rather spend more money on good quality clothing, like Carters, because their stuff is more durable. Nothing annoys me more than when I have a new, cheap pair of jammies, and the snaps come out after 2 washes. GRRRR

· Registered
4,933 Posts
No, we don't do expensive, trendy or "in" clothing here. My kids are not into "Keeping up with the Joneses." That is not where their focus should be. We don't buy clothes at Walmart or Kmart since they are cheaply made, but we don't have to go to the mall for our clothes, either.

And I have learned over this past almost 18 years of dressing children, that simple is better. And less is best. We buy a set number of shirts, pants, pajamas, etc. I don't want to pay money for something that won't be worn very often, no matter how cute it is. And drawers stuffed full of clothing and mismatched toddler outfits (because they like to dress themselves) gets old fast.

And anybody who has to switch the seasonal wardrobes for seven children knows exactly what I am talking about.

My diapers and wool are a different story, though.
:

· Registered
5,920 Posts
I'm a sucker for clothes for Connor too. I get a lot of them - Carter's and Osh Kosh at the outlet mall for crazy crazy CHEAP prices and they're really good quality. I also hit Gymboree, Gap and Jack and Jill sales and make out really good, they are usually cheaper than clothes at Target and better quality too. I don't buy because of the name, I buy because they're cute and a great price.

I buy off season at the outlet stores, they'll take things back even a year later if you have the receipt! I've done that a lot and it's always worked out great.

· Registered
6,455 Posts
I like clothes that wear, look, and feel good. That said, most of my girls' clothes are from Lands End and Hanna. I do try to buy on sale, but I wind up paying full price, too. My oldest dd is very hard on clothes, so they are not always in great shape to pass down to the little one, so that's hard- spending lots of $$ on stuff that can't be handed down. But I love the higher quality of Hanna cotton, so I figure it's worth it.

· Registered
6,787 Posts
Dang nabit! I had a long reply typed up and my darling 2 year old erased it.
: So I'll just say...

Quote:
No, we don't do expensive, trendy or "in" clothing here. My kids are not into "Keeping up with the Joneses." That is not where their focus should be.
ITA.

· Registered
10,679 Posts
I'm super cheap about clothes -- everything actually but *especially* kids clothes that they're going to grow out of or ruin in less than a season. I guess I can see how some things have significant resale value or can be saved but I don't do that.

I love to buy used because I can justify getting a little excessive with extras if they're second hand. I'd splurge on good shoes and outerwear but I've been lucky to find good used ones.

I might spend a little extra on something unique or locally made but that doesn't happen very often. I found a beautiful outfit for DD but it was SO much money. I was surprised that I was even tempted but it was just so freakin' cute and special. The reality, though, was that I would not have been a good mother to my child while she was wearing a $60 outfit because I would have cared far too much for the care of the clothes, yk?

· Registered
908 Posts
I REFUSE to pay full price on any baby clothes I buy. For me, "nice" means Gap or Gymboree but really the only brand I buy is Gap. They have great sales, simple clothes that hold up great, and I know how their sizes will fit my child. I think I will be buying more Gymboree with a girl because it is just too cute but it kills me to pay that much, even on sale. My kids don't need a lot of clothes, they end up wearing the same thing over and over no matter how much they have. I usually try to have 6 or 8 shirts and a few pairs of pants per season for my son and the same number of outfits for the baby in each size.

I don't like brands like Carters and Osh Kosh because a lot of it has scratchy tage or appliques and I will not put that on my babes. I don't buy department store because I don't need the logos and the boutique prices are ridiculous, I would never want my child to get dirty! I don't buy things at gtarget because every single thing has fallen apart within 3 washes. We do have several WM t-shirts that DS fell in love with while we were shopping and they've held up fine but like Christi said it's the same price or even moer expensive than Gap sales.

I like simple clothes for my son and whatever I buy is a waste because he doesn't wear clothes at home anyway. I am all about comfort and don't buy anything that is remotely uncomfortable - no frilly dresses, ni button down shirts, rarely even jeans or pants without an elastic waist. I just want whatever I buy to hold up and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

· Registered
11,789 Posts
I've NEVER been into brand names for myself or my kids. Aidan will wear what his brother did, sweats and sweatshirts from Wal-mart ($3.97 apiece! Cheaper if you get them at the right time of year!)

All of the baby clothes I have now are used, and all of the clothes that will fit Aidan this fall are used. I can't justify spending all that money when he's just going to outgrow them (he's 4.5 months and wearing 12-18 month sizes already!)

As for dipes, I just simplified to prefolds and covers and am LOVING ME SOME PREFOLDS!

· Registered
10,060 Posts
I've never been one to buy expensive clothes for my kids, but my mom loves to so I let her do it. I actually like to shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or Old Navy to get there clothes. Target especially has some really cute things for hardly any money, and when Old Navy has a sale you can really get a deal! I'd just rather spend my money on diaper so that's what I do. Don't get my wrong I would love to have an entire wardrobe for them of just Gymboree but I just can't afford it.

In the summer if we are not going anywhere for the day I'm lucky if I can get them in clothes at all. They are usually in just their diapers w/o even covers on, and my oldest likes to look like her siblings so she strips down to her underwear.
When we go out I throw a t-shirt on them and we're set.

· Registered
1,661 Posts
I like nice clothes for ds, but I pretty much refuse to ever pay full price. He mostly has hanna, gymbo (though not recently because they seem to be into making the most HIDEOUS boys lines they can come up with), gap, lands end. I also refuse to plaster any brand name across his chest, so he doesn't tend to wear much of Old Navy.

Honestly, hanna is just so worth it to us. The quality is great, they fit super over CDs,
they last a long time and the customer service is wonderful. I wish we lived near an outlet.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.