Mothering Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
8,874 Posts
I love love love expensive kids cloth, but...I don't spend more that $10.00 tops for the clothes ds wears. We have outlets everywhere around here, plus Gap and Gymboree always have great sales. I definetly don't think there is anything wrong with Walmart clothes, but why not put my babe in name brands for cheaper. I have tried going to Thrift stores myself, but there prices are usually outrageous and always more than the finds that I get. I get brand new elefantan and stride rite shoes for $10 at one store.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMoon
I think there's a happy medium also. I like simple wholesome kid clothes that look like little kid clothes, not miniture versions of the new teen styles. .

Well I know this is a BIG reason that I shop at Gymbo & Hanna. I have looked around in stores that are cheaper & once the sizing goes above a 5T, FORGET IT!!! Low rise pants, skimpy tops, etc..... Of course there are always some basics that are plain & inexpensive & I snap those right up but I like my little girls to LOOK like little girls!!

Also, I don't think anyone should be bothered by what others buy to put on their kids. I guess maybe I am defensive because I do like to buy nice clothes for my kids. NOT becasue they are a certain name, or I am "keeping up with the Jones's", but because they are beautifully made & I enjoy dressing my kids in them. I guess I felt like there some judgement being passed on those of us who spend money on clothing rather than other things. And I noticed that a lot of mamas felt compelled to explain how they afforded them, i.e.buying at sales, thrift shops etc.....it's really no ones business what you spend on what.

Guess what? I hardly ever buy things on sale, and I don't feel guilty & I certainly don't owe any explanation for it. If I love something, & I have PP money from EBAYING, then I buy it. We are by no means wealthy, but buying quality things gets me money back in the end.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I was noticing a TONE so to speak of some posts that were passing judgements on how some of us mamas chose to spend our money
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMoon
I think there's a happy medium also. I like simple wholesome kid clothes that look like little kid clothes, not miniture versions of the new teen styles. .
I have to add that this is also a huge reason I buy hannas and gymboree as well. I don't like dressing my 12 month old in these clothes that are really made for big kids. Goodness, he is still a baby!
I love hannas because they are original, very well made, and last through several different ages. My ds is wearing hanna "zippers" that he wore when he was 3 months old, and they still fit him going at 11 months. I love that! And the colors are soft and they are made so well. I get my moneys worth even if I do pay full price for something. Although we are very fortunate to have a Hanna Anderson outlet not far from us. Woohoo!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryansmom02
Nope count me into the I love the gap and gymboree crowd........ I love for my kids to look good....... My 10 yr old wears what ever is the in thing.....
While I agree with Stacey that we shouldn't pass judgment on other mamas for how they dress their babies and why (and I also agree that they don't need to explain their reasons or if they buy on sale or resale on ebay or whatever), I resent comments like this that implies that if I don't get trendy name brand clothes for my child, I don't love for him to look good. I'm sorry but I am also
crazy bonkers insanely addicted to getting cute things to put on my cute child, but I don't get the need for brand names in that. I'm such a wool hyena, I guess, that I am really just thrilled with how adorable wool knit pants (or a soaker, soaker shorts, whatever) and a plain matching t-shirt (quality! of course not one that fades or gets disformed in the wash) looks.

This thread was not intended to demand that gymboree addicts explain and justify their behavior, but simply to see if there were other mamas on this board who saw things the way I do, and was kinda ga-ga-overboard into buying diapers and wool but not Gap. You see, I get that we all have our vices and may spend too much on different kinds of stuff, and I figured I had to not be the only one who would spend 20 dollars on a great fitted diaper and 100 or more on awesome wool, but not much money on mass-produced name brand children's clothes (partly because it's not as special/fun as buying WAHM and partly because it isn't functional--it doesn't do anything in addiction to being cute). I just wanted to do a 'roll call' if you will, for those of us who aren't into name brand clothes but are into diapers.


ETA: we do have a few nice Marimekko pieces from MIL and some cute embroidered winnie the pooh items like a warm cotton zip-up hoodie sweatshirt for Finnish summer (from H&M) as well as even a boutique silk/cotton blend zip up sweater that I couldn't resist because of the quality of the yarn (from a crunchy local store called 'The Earth Collection' where I get some of my clothes), and even jeans, overalls, khakis, etc. so it's not like I'm as extreme as maybe I sound....I just vastly prefer the simple (but colorful!) shirt + wool pants (that double as diaper cover over a fitted).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
Nope, I won't spend a lot on clothes for Emi either. Garage sales rock!


Love the name brand clothing though. Just because I've found it holds up better. The cheap stuff I've gotten my cousin's little girl is either falling apart or pilling, etc. Not to mention that I'm really trying to get *out* of shopping at Walmart (or Mall-Wart as my DH calls it).

I do check Baby Gap, Old Navy, Osh Kosh, etc whenever we're in town. Just gotta breeze right by the expensive stuff in front & head for the clearance in the back. Our Salvation Army stinks, but thankfully Burlington has a pretty good kids thrift shop that I'm getting some stuff from. Also, I'm trying to plan ahead. We're getting lots of 0-9 m clothing now, so when I garage sale I look for high quality, brand name 12-2T clothing cheap. We have the room to store it so why not?

Honestly though, Emi is the first g'baby on either side so the g'mas are already doing a pretty good job of keeping her dressed. MIL sends us 2-4 outfits a month in the mail already & she's not even due until September! My mom was in town this weekend & I won't even reveal the obscene amount of $$$ she spent at the local kids boutique. Granted, the 4 outfits she got were totally adorable & will wear like iron.

Know what though? They can afford it, they enjoy it, they'll do it regardless & it frees up our $$ for other things. Like diapers!


Good thread topic, BTW!

Holly

PS: FWIW, almost all our stash come from e-bay or TP too. Last time I figured it up we'd spent about $500 on well over $1000 worth of stash. IMHO the best thing about buying used dipes is that you know they'll hold up well!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,638 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymom
http://www.nordicwoollens.com/c188943.2.html sells the same stuff I have.
They are soooooooo soft and cuddly.

Thanks! I saw that post about nordicwoollens last night and I dreamed about all of the cute stuff. Now I am planning all of my childrens wardrobes for next winter.


So, did you say that for your baby you snap the woolie onsie under the soaker pants? Like, right on top of the diaper? Just trying to figure this out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymom
While I agree with Stacey that we shouldn't pass judgment on other mamas for how they dress their babies and why (and I also agree that they don't need to explain their reasons or if they buy on sale or resale on ebay or whatever), I resent comments like this that implies that if I don't get trendy name brand clothes for my child, I don't love for him to look good. I'm sorry but I am also
crazy bonkers insanely addicted to getting cute things to put on my cute child, but I don't get the need for brand names in that. I'm such a wool hyena, I guess, that I am really just thrilled with how adorable wool knit pants (or a soaker, soaker shorts, whatever) and a plain matching t-shirt (quality! of course not one that fades or gets disformed in the wash) looks.

Ok well i am sorry you took my comment the wrong way....... You like how your DS looks in your "hyena" wool whatever and I love how my kids look in there cloths.... My daughter is getting ready to start school again and I buy her the "in"cloth (now I am not talking about the slutty brittnay spears stuff) as kids are cruel these days and I would rather not have her picked on because she is not dressed well. I also feel that It makes her feel good to know she looks nice. Just like It make me feel good to see a good well made diaper on ryans bum.... I buy the name brand cloths for the quality they wash and REsell very well....I just got my first pair of wool shorts and now I am off to find a nice plain but good shirt to match....... as I too think this will look way cute on him. Oh and I am glad there are other mamas here who "think" just like you but as you see there are alot of mamas who "think" like me..... Do remember my DH is in the military so I am shopping out of season on sale and with gymbucks....... I never implied that if you dont by gymbo gap or hanna you love for them to look good.... I could have turned your hyena wool comment in to the same thing. if I dont buy hyena wool i dont love for him to look good......... ok off my soap box now and off to get my son a banana.... I typed this with a 2yr old on my lap helping so keep that in mind...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Well the flaw in your argument that keeps getting to me is this: name brands = looking nice ......

That just isn't true. They are not one in the same thing. I'm sure there are lots of nice looking name brand clothes out there (and not so nice looking stuff with a big label on it too) as well as nice looking clothes that aren't big names.
And it doesn't have to be kool sheep soaker pants that my son wears, wool that is made from his grandma and godmama are just as cute and loved equally. You can have a child 'looking good' or 'dressed nice' or however you want to phrase it, without buying name brands. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the name brands, just that they aren't a prerequisite to having nicely dressed children.

And, Aurora, I do snap the wool onesie right on top of the diaper and then put the pants on over it. The wool gets wet in the wet zone, of course, but it doesn't wick up the stomach at all, it just stays moist in the wet zone and then passes through so that the soaker pants can do their work. I sometimes just change the fitted diaper and snap the same wool onesie right back on, because that part of the wool doesn't come into contact with my son, but if it's really wet I change out the onesie, too. HTH! I'm now just using t-shirts and wool pants, and feel confident using the same pants all day, just changing the diaper frequently, but at home I swap the pants/shorts/soaker at every change just for fun.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Well when you are 10 that is the way things are seen........ Brand name equals nice looking.......... so that is what i am saying as for my dd...... I agree with stacy to... i can buy the brand and still have her wear the right thing for school and still look like a 10 year old not a slut box...........Just remember you are the one who started this thread....... We were all happy diapering mama's and now I feel like I have to defend why i spend money on my kids cloths.......... ok i am done and wont be back to even read this thread.......
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,638 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymom
And, Aurora, I do snap the wool onesie right on top of the diaper and then put the pants on over it. The wool gets wet in the wet zone, of course, but it doesn't wick up the stomach at all, it just stays moist in the wet zone and then passes through so that the soaker pants can do their work. I sometimes just change the fitted diaper and snap the same wool onesie right back on, because that part of the wool doesn't come into contact with my son, but if it's really wet I change out the onesie, too. HTH! I'm now just using t-shirts and wool pants, and feel confident using the same pants all day, just changing the diaper frequently, but at home I swap the pants/shorts/soaker at every change just for fun.
Thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,891 Posts
Well, My vice is pretty much my baby. I will buy just about anything for him if I think it's really cute. Clothes, diapers, furniture, decorations. But I'd buy clothes that I though were cute from anywhere, be it H&M or that cute little baby boutique close to me(but I'll only buy there during sales though). I bought these really cute baby outfits from Target a while back that we 2.80 for each top & bottom set. Cute for me comes at all prices.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
I have a 15-1/2 year old, a 12 year old and a 14 month old. I prefer plain colored clothing (no sayings or big labeling) and so do my children. My son has a few t-shirts that have pictures on them...I think maybe 3 at most. We all tend to like more classic rather than trendy.

They aren't into expensive clothing/shoes and neither am I. It's never been any issue with their friends either...they don't care about that. They all look nice and no one would know what brand any of their clothing is unless they look at the inside tags. They just aren't tuned into those things and it irritates me when people suggest that all or most older children care about such things...it's just not true.

Higher price doesn't necessarily equal better quality.

I spend on diapers but I see it differently....I get much more use out of a diaper than I do out of a tshirt or pair of pants. But then I also have limits on diapers. But I am more likely to spend $20 on a diaper than $20 on a child's tshirt.

I personally don't agree that certain brands are necessarily a higher quality either. And while I'm not big on large labeling I'm also not big on clothing that is instantly recognizable as such and such brand by the way it looks either.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Most if not all the clothes my kids have were gifts from family members or hand-me-downs from other people. I have rarely ever had to buy clothes for my three boys. My baby is wearing stuff my oldest wore and it goes right down the line. I like simple kids clothes, that are comfortable for them to wear. I've found that even the cheap stuff usually can hold up after several kids, because they grow so fast they don't wear them very long.

Dressing boys seems easier. When I look at the hoochie mama stuff the department stores sell to little girls it makes me sick.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Hennes & Mauritz... it's a fun, trendy dept. store with clothes for all ages/genders.... there is one on fifth avenue in Manhattan, for example, they had one in the rural area I went to college in (western Massachusetts--it's at the 'Holyoke Mall' which is off 91 and 90/masspike), and they have two on the main street in the city I live in here.

priced CHEAP and super cute.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
Interesting thread!

DD has tons of hand-me-downs from family and I shop resale shops (TP) for *quality* used clothing (I like Euro stuff too
: ). Most of her clothing WAHM-made though. I get more comments from WAHM clothing than I can count!

Aside from quality and 100% cotton, I buy US-made/non-third-world-country-made clothing.

I dont shop at Gap/Old Navy/Target/etc for these reasons. I am a non-sweatshop/non-designer *snob*
:
 
101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top