Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD started kindergarten in August after no daycare and no preschool. In the few months since she has started school, she has brought home more colds and flu bugs than in the years before school! Three weeks ago both she and DS got colds (DD got hers first of course). Two weeks ago she was home sick with the stomach flu. Last week DS got the stomach flu. DH got it over the weekend. Then I had to keep DD home from school yesterday as she had a cold and couldn't even talk!<br><br>
Does this go away soon? I feel like it's some sort of school initiation, LOL!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I give my kids regular doses of echinacea,vitamin C and vitamins.They all have had maybe one brief sickness.Now i watch two kids in my home who are not on vitamins and supplements and they are sick all of the time.In the two months i have been watching them they have been sick this entire time.None of my kids have caught anything from them and neither have I.I think it is important to keep the immunity system boosted and to keep an eye on their diet.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'm afraid to jinx myself here, but no...I haven't.<br><br>
Ask your daughter if the children in her class wash hands before lunch or snack. You'd be surprised that most kids don't and the teachers do not make it part of the routine. I spoke to my daughter's teacher and told her that my daughter was required to wash before eating and that I'd appreciate it if she could be reminded to do so, and now she always does. The teacher says, "This is the time to wash your hands if you need to," and my daughter and one other girl get up to wash but none of the other kids do. I can't ask her to make the other kids do it but at least DD eats with clean hands.<br><br>
Also, a majority of the moms around here are SAHMs so they don't have a problem keeping their kids home when sick, whereas working parents often have trouble with this and will send kids with colds to school because they're not "really" sick. I'm not faulting them, but that's often the truth.<br><br>
The fact that your daughter never attended preschool may have something to do with it, too. Being around a lot of germs builds up your immunity, so she may have not had that opportunity until now and is taking a beating. Hope it gets better!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My dd was at an in-home day care when she turned 2, and she rarely got sick. Then she started preschool a year later at a center and the first month or so, she got sick a little but after that she's been back to her normal healthy self

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DD is a fanatic about hand-washing, so I guess I'll have to get some Vitamin C while she builds up her immunities to all these new germs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts