Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else nursing?

1K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  salento 
#1 ·
DS2 is still nursing. I've been trying to convince him to wean for a few months, but he's just not interested in stopping. I never thought it would be this painful this early on, but it *hurts* when he latches on.

I really don't want to tandem, so I'm hoping he decides to stop when I lose my milk in a couple months.

#4 ·
Still nursing here - and yeowch!!!
: has it started to hurt in the past day or two....I am open to tandem nursing...I just have to get us both through the pregnancy!

I really wanted to nurse until DS was at least 2...so i will be VERY sad if our nursing relationship ends sooner....

ETA: Carrie...were we in the Dec 06 DDC together???

#6 ·
Still nursing our fourth child, 2.5 YO DD. But I've gotten her down to three times a day (waking, midday and bedtime.) I've nursed all the kids on average for about 3 years each. I'm looking forward to a bit of a break from nursing before the baby is born. Secretly hoping the milk runs out and she loses interest.....
But they are so precious when they nurse, aren't they? Gosh, it is the sweetest thing ever ever ever.

#8 ·
Yep, DD is 19 months now. We are down to 3-4 times a day during hte week. Morning, when I pick her up from DC, and bed time. Sometimes one after dinner too. Her latch has gotten to that crappy toddler thing over the last 2 months, so I am not sure it is just the pregnancy. I have to make her re latch 3-4 times every time and it is getting frustrating. I am hoping she weans, but I also want her to make it to 2 years. Kinda conflicted, so I am just letting her figure it out I guess.

#10 ·
My DD is still nursing.

She's 19 months. We've cut back - basically during the day I only nurse her for comfort. If she's hungry/thirsty I make her a snack.

At night is different. I've started counting down every time she nurses. I let her get latched on and I wait until she's swallowing. Then I will count backwards from 10 in a sing song voice. Then I pop her off. After she's off, she's either fine with it - or she want another turn. I will start counting almost immediately. We repeat until she's happy and asleep.

It's starting to hurt when she nurses. It's also just hard to deal with. My patience is shot.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bc1995 View Post
She2Dancer. Yes we were in the Dec 06 ddc together. Are you back in the states now? Did you ever get the gorgeous Didy Simon wrap?
Hi Carrie! I thought so
We are back in the states, we moved back for good at the end of September (07)....it is nice to be back with our family, but I miss the city
This will also be my first US pregnancy....so I feel like I am starting over again with health insurance and midwives and stuff...we'll see how it goes!

I did get the Simon wrap too
: My SIL and BIL bought it as Simon's baptism gift....we
it

#13 ·
I'm nursing a 15 month old, and I am planning on tandeming if he wants too. That being said, it doesn't hurt yet, but it does irritate. I would really like him to continue to nursing through the pregnancy, but a small part of me would be thrilled if he weaned early. That being said we have cut down to 5 times a day. I just can't handle more often then that anymore.

#14 ·
Nursing both a 3 1/2 (though just once a day) and a 15 months old regularly. Planning on continuing nursing both, but taking it one day at a time.

#15 ·
Still nursing DS, 19 months, probably 4-5 times a day. I love the idea of tandem nursing, but not sure whether I want to go there. I need to get a hold of "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."

It did start to hurt about a week ago, but just on one side. I was thinking maybe it was very minor thrush. About a year ago, I had a minor yeast problem that subsided with minimal treatment (thank goodness!). But it's a different kind of hurt this time, so that leads me to believe it's the pregnancy?

What kind of hurt/pain are y'all having with nursing? Seems like with the thrush, it was a very sharp pain, like a knife...YOUCH! But this is a little duller than that, and like I said, just one side.

#16 ·
I can't begin to tell you all how awsome the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" is. For both nursing during pregnancy and beyond. I was so lucky it was published just shortly before I became pregnant with #2.

Marilyn, sounds like discomfort related to pregnancy. For the the pain reached its worse usually around 22-24 weeks or so which is also the same time that your milk changes to colostrum. For the me the worst part is not the pain but the creepy crawly feelings that I am sure are soon to come.

#18 ·
The pain is definitely worse on one side than the other. The side he nurses on the least hurts the most. It's only really bad when he first latches on. Hard to describe, really, though.

#19 ·
Oddly it is only painful at night here, no clue why, but night time nursing is stopping fairly soon (though to be fair he is mostly night weaned already). It is irritating when he nurses for more then 15 minutes though, doesn't hurt, it has just started giving me the creepy crawling feeling.

#20 ·
I am still EPing for my first surro baby, he's 5 months now. So far its not irritating or painful, but I'm wondering how long my supply will last. If you've nursed through a pregnancy, when did you see a drop in supply?

#22 ·
Hello all,
I'm not sure if I'm pregnant yet but if I were, I'd be due in late March

In the last 2 days my nipples have gotten quite sore when ds is nursing. If I look at them they have dry white small patches and red patches. I was thinking it was thrush or something, but looking on here and on the web, it could be pregnancy
:
I didn't get dry nipples while pregnant with ds, so I was unsure.

Off to dig out my lanolin.

#25 ·
My 19mo is still nursing like a newborn too (it seems anyway...). I was reading a bit about keeping up my milk supply...

The recommendations were to up your fluid (water esp.) intake, but not too much, because too much water could cause a decrease in milk supply (I can't remember why...I think I read that on kellymom...but I could be mistaken)

Also, increase your uptake of good fats (I have been trying to eat an avocado at least every other day, and have been cooking with coconut oil)

Oatmeal is also supposed to help with an increase in milk...

sorry, I am typing with a 30lb toddler sleeping on my back...I am not quite thinking in full sentences...but I hope that helps a bit... (going to put him down in bed...)

#26 ·
I was just looking for a thread like this...I am nursing my just turned two year old, and my nipples are just irritated (and have been for weeks now even before preg) because he always gets clampy with big teeth pushing. And he refuses to eat much of anything. Typical for him. He is asking for it like twenty times an hour in the morning and evening, mostly when I am busy trying to get meals ready or getting showered/dressed, etc. He's driving me nuts and I felt open to tandeming before, but now I am feeling a little angry and don't like that. I posted this in my mommy group, so I'll just paste.

I am a little worried about my milk drying up too soon for him...because he still has six teeth to go...yes, seriously. And, he really really seems to need to nurse when the pain is bad and he cannot go to sleep without a little help from his nursies. I guess he could still nurse though, just no milk. But, that'll be up to him I guess. We'll see. I am just a little anxious to see how it all works out. I am going to try hard not to try controlling much of this...but, I think I'd be fine with him weaning when the milk goes. Less to worry about, and I truly think he is almost ready...it seems he wants it out of habit for seeking a comfort, but when he gets it, I can tell he doesn't really need it or even want it...he's on and right off, everytime. OHhhh...joys of nursing. What's a nursing pregnant mommy to do?

Any stories of experience from anyone? I would like to hear more since I only know a few women from my LLL group who nursed through a pregnancy all the way or even partially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.