Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just found out our 5 yr old daughter has mild hearing loss and will need hearing aids in both ears. She has been in speech therapy for almost 2 years and in recent months having real trouble getting certain sounds correct, she also really needs the tv or ipad loud (she watches sparingly) and often we have to repeat ourselves and she has trouble processing what she hears in a timely manner.:frown:
I pushed for another hearing test, and she went when she was 3 but it showed inconclusive, (I personally think that hearing clinic was not doing a great job)
long story short after a battle between my family doc, ENT's office and hearing test we took her to a private clinic to pay for another hearing test, (we are in Canada) and right away she was able to pick up the permanent hearing loss. My daughter has another test to go through and my 18 month old son will have to be tested as well.

My husband is more upset than I am, but it hits me in waves. How did this happen, when, why, where was this missed. I feel terrible she has been struggling for so long.

Anyone out there in my boat? I can't believe my daughter will have to wear hearing aids for the rest of her life.
I also wonder, will it get worse, will she ever go completely deaf. I am so torn, and upset.
I know this isn't the worst that could happen, we have a friend with a very high special needs kid and also I am a Child Protection worker and see lots of family issues and child trauma, and parents who cant afford and advocate for the children in the way I am fully able too, so I am thankful this is all it is, but I am still pretty sad about this and the road ahead so wondering if there is anyone else out there or any advice

also wanted to add, she has been SUPER healthy otherwise, not one ear infection, no antibiotics ever, and we choose not to vaccinate.
We have dealt with possible neonatal lupus bc of the antibodies I carry, and I am not sure if its all connected to that. we have a slew of appts ahead of us.

:crying:thank you

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm so sorry for you. I imagine you're reeling from the shock of it more than anything.

I don't know what type of hearing loss your daughter has experienced but are you aware of cochlear implants? They're kind of miraculous.

Two of my nephews were born deaf, one was implanted at 9 months and the other at 6 months. Yes, you certainly see that they are wearing something but they hear and speak in a perfectly normal way. It always strikes me how miraculous they are when they boys unsnap them to go swimming or to sleep--in one second they go from completely hearing to completely deaf and I'm so grateful that these devices exist for the boys.

Maybe you're already aware of CI's. I was just thinking that since she will have to have something to help her hear the cochlear implants, for the right candidate, provide a much better quality of hearing than hearing aids.

Best wishes for you and your family.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 6 year old daughter who is profoundly deaf on top of multiple other health and developmental issues. I'm here if you need to talk!
It's always hard to hear a diagnosis like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts