Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my last visit my MW and I discussed my 28 week Rhogam shot, she advised me to do some research but said it was my choice( hers DO NOT contain mercury), well I think from what I've read that it really is only important to have it post birth IF the baby is RH+ .
Anyone else facing the same descicion, this is my second pregnancy and I will probably have more children so I just thought you guys could give me a sanity check?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I chose to get the 28 week dose because it's possible to have a silent third-trimester bleed and not know it. That's how I was isoimmunized to Kell (there's no antibody treatment for Kell, but it's very similar to being sensitized to Rh). I was antibody-negative at the beginning of my pregnancy and at my delivery they drew another antibody screen and it was positive. No abdominal trauma except a version/amnio that had been too recent to develop an antibody response from (literally within the last 12-14 hours). Since I can do something about Rh sensitization, I did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have gotten a shot with each one. I feel that its better safe than sorry. I have never had any problems when getting them.

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
I haven't gotten a Rhogam shot since my first child was born. I don't know the blood type of my 2 youngest children, but I've been tested and I know that I'm not isoimmunized.

I know that this baby's father is Rh +. I'm sure that this will be my last baby, so I'm thinking about not getting the shot at all this time, either. Still debating it.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
Rh- as well. I had Rhogram at 28 weeks and then after dd's birth. I'm not going to this time around, regardless if this babe is + or not, I've become pretty anti-vax.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi, I've been reading both Oct. and Nov. threads, since I'm due Nov. 2 and it could go either way.

My OB doesn't know this yet because he just told me at this appt that I was Rh- and my next appt isn't until the middle of August--but I researched as soon as I got home from the appt, and decided I'm not getting the RhoGAM shot at all because it is a human blood product. That means that by getting the shot, you are at risk--however tiny--of contracting HIV, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or any other disease which can be spread through the blood. They do check blood products for these things but accidents can and do happen.

The RhoGAM insert states that your risk of becoming sensitized if you get ONLY the post-partum shot, should the baby turn out to actually be Rh+, is 1 to 2%. And with BOTH shots, your risk goes down to something like .1%. However, without ANY shots at all, your risk of becoming sensitized is 12-13%. Not 90%, not 50%. 12 to 13%.

The baby may not even be Rh+. Yes, I might bleed during the third trimester and become sensitized if the baby is Rh+, but I also might win the lottery tomorrow or have an airplane crash-land on my head.

So, if I were considering RhoGAM at all, I would get only the postpartum shot; the aforementioned issue with it being a human blood product makes me want to put only myself at risk and not my baby as well.

I'm not getting the shot at all, though. All the odds are pretty slim on either side--and who wants to live life by statistics? What it came down to, when I made my decision, was would I rather take the risk of getting HIV/CJD/etc., or take the risk of becoming sensitized should my baby turn out to actually be Rh+? It's probably far more likely that I would become sensitized than that I would contract HIV, but I still would prefer sensitization to the other possibilities.

It is quite possible to become sensitized, become pregnant again, and have a healthy baby. If you search these forums there are women who've posted who went through all of that just fine. It's a headache, but it's fine. I'd rather go through that than go through all the worrying about the fact that someone else's blood product was just injected into my body.

·
Registered
479 Posts
thx for the detailed post carmen - i only just started hearing bad things about rhogam and you made the start to my research easier

i'm undecided. i really want to not get it, but w/ my only other pregnancy i had bleeding issues and now i'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ya, what CarmenJ said! I did get one post partum w/ ds (non mercury) but no way w/ the 28 weeks. This time around I'm not getting one at all but I'm also not having any more babies either (no more hyperemisis for me).

Sorry to be posting w/o ever having intoduced myself

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarmenJ
I'm not getting the RhoGAM shot at all because it is a human blood product. That means that by getting the shot, you are at risk--however tiny--of contracting HIV, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or any other disease which can be spread through the blood. They do check blood products for these things but accidents can and do happen.
I looked into this as well when I got my shot this time. This is my third pregnancy and the third time I've had the 28 week shot (and will be getting the postpartum shot as well). My only concern about the vaccine was exactly what you mentioned. However, I since learned that nobody has ever gotten an infection from the blood product in a Rhogam shot, at least here in Canada (I didn't find infection elsewhere, either). Not HIV nor anything else. So it's not like it couldn't happen, but it hasn't and that made me feel a lot better.

Regardless, it sounds like you've done a lot of research and have made an informed decision. I just wanted to mention my own research into it as well, relating to this one topic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts