Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are really hurting right now, so bad that we can only spend $50 a week on groceries for a 5 person family. dh spends $150 a week in gas for his job so thats half the problem. i did have a work at home job paying $15/hour doing telemarketing, but with three kids,one having autism i just couldnt do it. I hate living like this, i would get a job but with daycare costs i wouldnt make a dime!

michlele

· Registered
9,902 Posts
I agree, Finances & Fruaglist is a very supportive board.

Several people I know in similar situations have chosen to work opposite shift as their partner, which eliminates the need for child care.

· Registered
265 Posts
Mama, can you write articles... and would you have time to do this with your kids?

We have a website we are trying to build up more, and are looking for writers, although we can't pay much (we are surviving, but don't have much spare.) But if you are really struggling, maybe the extra money would be at least a little help??

· Registered
1,446 Posts
How about starting a at home day care? Take on one child, or two for some extra money.
I watch a infant baby (6 months) 3 times a week for $30 a day.
Not only is this great for some extra $$, but my 5 y/o DS LOVES having a baby over.

· Registered
3,257 Posts
maybe your dh can get hired for an at-home telemarketing position and you can eat with the gas money saved??
so sorry to hear you're struggling. any good food pantries local to you? wic? foodstamps?

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
we're close to that
:

we've had some unexpected (somewhat expected, I guess) bills come up lately and we had to move due to landlord selling the house..

all in all, we are screwed

things will be better soon once we finish paying off school loans though (hopefully..).

so, that said, I would recommend taking advantage of any state/government services, as well as talking to local churches and such (if you're not opposed) for help. Is there any way your husband could carpool? And, the childcare thing worked wonders for us (I had 3-5 toddlers, plus my own
)

good luck, mama!!

· Registered
911 Posts
i was just about to make a post about this.

i feel completely trapped. my dh is declaring bankruptcy. (luckily married people do not have to file together) it has been a long drawn out process that was supposed to be done in the spring. our lawyer is now predicting it will be done by december!!!!!

what this does is it prevents me from getting an honest job. while it could be argued in court that i had to, both dh and the lawyer prefer a cut and dry bankruptcy case -- which means i shouldn't get a job because then the 8 dollars an hour i make (most likely part time) just might put us in a questionable bracket for the bankruptcy.

dh and i have serious issues and i often consider getting a job anyway -- the bankruptcy is clearly due to some very ignorant financial mistakes on his part.

but i have no college education. a job would have to include my kids, or be opposite my husband's, which means nights, pretty much. also it would have to be very nearby as the cost of gas is killing us.

i can't watch kids in my home because we don't even have finished floors, or walls, or a finished kitchen.
i don't think anyone would feel comfortable with the state of my home.

sooooo, i look into going back to school. i fill out all the financial aid paperwork, hoping i can get some low-interest loans to cover tution and gas and hopefully some other things i can't afford, like some clothes to wear to class. (i've gained a bunch of weight due to health issues)

i find out that with dh's solidly middle class salary, we are expected to be able to contribute to 11,000 for my education! there's no way in hell! and i would only be able to get under 8,000 in stafford loans for this first year, not much more the second......i can't afford to go to school!

and i feel sooooo ungrateful. i am not starving. i own a home with enough land for a large garden, which we get all our produce from. we have fantastic health insurance thru dh's job. but literally every bit of money we have is used on the very very basic necessities and

i have no money for my kid's birthdays in sept. i have no money to go to the thrift store and buy back to school clothes for my 8 year old. we can't afford to feed the dog anymore. there is no gas in my van and the girls and i stay at home day after day, all summer long. my dh tries to convince me every day that we need to include the van loan in the bankruptcy so we can get rid of that 200/month payment on it

even though we can't afford to put gas in it, i can't imagine being stuck at our house in the country with no vehicle and 3 kids. it's not safe. i don't know what i'm going to do. there's seemingly NO resources for "middle class" families. even when the bankruptcy is complete, there won't be much relief -- it's from old debts, we will still be so tight and paycheck-to paycheck.

aaaaaahhhhh!

· Registered
1,326 Posts

We are getting there. I have a few hundred dollars saved up from my job- I'm using it for groceries only. Once that's gone...I'm kind of scared about what we are going to do.

· Registered
4,793 Posts
we're not that bad, but close. thankfully, i posted an ad on craigslist looking for a babysitting/nanny job i can bring my son to, and got an email fairly quickly and start on monday. the people seem really nice too- and she nursed her 3 girls for about 18 months each, and still cosleep with the 4yo, so they dont think im totally weird, lol

· Registered
8,691 Posts
Well, sorta. Things aren't desperate longterm (although we're still in debt, need to finish paying off DH's motorbike), but right now we're broke. We paid off a big chunk of motorbike which left us with very little spending cash, and then a bunch of things came up. DH needed new glasses... he got a speeding ticket... we got a big bill for electricity because it's been so cold... this and that.

So we have about $50 to our name right now.
Things are OK, though... a lovely farmer couple from our church gave us some meat (including some GORGEOUS steak... schlp!)... the garden isn't producing much right now, but we have spinach and Brussels sprouts and some kinda mutant carrots... we're doing OK. I have a hard time stopping DH from buying us 'treats' though.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma4fun View Post

i find out that with dh's solidly middle class salary, we are expected to be able to contribute to 11,000 for my education! there's no way in hell! and i would only be able to get under 8,000 in stafford loans for this first year, not much more the second......i can't afford to go to school!

When they say that, they are probably taking into account living expenses while you're in school also. $8000 might cover tuition/books for a year at a state school, but probably not much else.

· Registered
159 Posts
We are close too. Do you get big tax returns? We always get around 4 or 5,000 and use that to pay off bills which frees up money each month. Also I work at a daycare at a gym so I am able to bring my son with me. That way even though I'm not making much I am not paying out in daycare either. Could your husband get a bike to use to commute to work(motorcycle I mean) If you could find a bike for around 3000 the payment would be covered in what you would save in gas..my husband is getting one soon for the same reason.

· Registered
293 Posts
that must be so difficult for everyone struggling with money so badly.
I know that money is tight but what about growing some of your own food (if you have a yard) or using cloth pads/toilet paper/nappies? Sorry not much help I know
just a suggestion really.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
We did for the longest time.

Check into local food backs, emergency food assistance programs, etc...

Grains and Legumes are a whole protein and go a long way.

Ramen noodles with frozen veggies dumped into it for variety.

Oatmeal for breakfast.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.