Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make DD's costume this year, so (knowing myself as I do) I need to start soon.
Is anyone else starting to think about this yet? If so, what are you thinking of making? DD is thinking she'd like to be a fairy princess.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ah ha! I am not teh only costume freak thinking about this in June!?!?!

DS#1 wants to be the planet Mercury. Have no idea how to do this! Good thing I have 4 months.

DS#2 says he wants to be "a biscuit", but I think he has no idea what he's saying. We think we'll make him a rocket, a space shuttle, or an astronaut.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yay! I was just thinking about starting ours too!

Quote:
DS#1 wants to be the planet Mercury. Have no idea how to do this! Good thing I have 4 months.

DS#2 says he wants to be "a biscuit", but I think he has no idea what he's saying. We think we'll make him a rocket, a space shuttle, or an astronaut.
LMAO!!! A biscuit!

My son was Jupiter one year, I wracked my brain for months and eventually came up with 2 ideas. One was to get a pumkin costume and paint it with fabric paint and the other (what I did) was to paper mache a giant ball, let it dry, and then deflate the ball out of it. I left arm holes and a big hole at the botton to put it over him and then we painted it. It was uncomfotable but looked hilarious.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
No way. My dd will change her mind 7,428,974 times between now and Oct. 31. Of course 7,428,972 of them will be on Oct. 30, so maybe I should just plunge in anyway.

One year she wanted to be a mummy. I ripped an old tablecloth into strips and basted them on a white sweat shirt. I had the entire thing done except for the cap, and as I was sewing the last row of bandages on that (on Oct. 30, mind you), she tells me she want's to be a fairy princess's horse. I think not. Fortunately, I convinced her that mummies were much cooler.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i usually think about costumes around now too. luckily ds is only 13 months so i can decide for him. they 5 year old may be harder! last year i made them batman and robin - they were adorable!!! i bought the batman costume but made the robin one. i dyed a onesie and tights. i'd love to do something like that again. my sil is due in july. i may do something with all 3 or at least the 2 young ones. i can get away with that for alittle while longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually- i was thinking of starting christmas presents already. LOL

I should probably think about halloween first- but quite frankly, and I'm not sure why, I hate the holiday. The kids do love it though- I always drag my feet and usually end up purchasing costumes.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena
My son was Jupiter one year, I wracked my brain for months and eventually came up with 2 ideas. One was to get a pumkin costume and paint it with fabric paint and the other (what I did) was to paper mache a giant ball, let it dry, and then deflate the ball out of it. I left arm holes and a big hole at the botton to put it over him and then we painted it. It was uncomfotable but looked hilarious.
You are kidding me! I thought we were the only ones who did weird costumes! This DS was the #5 last year!!! A huge, bright orange #5. I'll try to post a link.

I would dearly dearly love to see a picture of the Jupiter costume, if you could. My son is planet-crazy. And, reflecting upon it, I, myself, might like to be Saturn!!!!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what to make DD. I would love to take her trick or treating, especially if she's walking.

Ooh, maybe we could be jungle mama and jungle baby. I'll wear a loincloth or a rope or grass skirt and lots of body paint and she can go naked!

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Ravin

Okay so I'm looking at some patterns to make dd's costume this year. I'm a novice sew-er...so any advice?

I was looking at a few different patterns...clown, witch, cat (it's like a pumpkin, but black...ball type if that makes sense). Okay I know nothing too original...

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
This will be my 'first' Halloween for DS1. He wants to be 'Buzz Lightyear' from Toy Story.

I had to Ebay the pattern (12.00usd), then cut up a bazillion pieces for all the 'patches and strips, insignias...etc'...I didn't want to cut out the smallest size (3) for him, in case he wanted to wear it again at a bigger size...so I transferred all the multi size pieces to some vellum drafting paper my dad gave me (nicely translucent too) and really sturdy, so no tearing!

I'm in the about to cut out the large body piece stage. I have to draw/cut while DS2 is sleeping or playing happily! So I started this project like weeks ago...and have yet to cut the fabric! Hahah...so yea, early, but not as early as I would have liked!

I want to sew me some stuff too, we'll see if I get it done by Christmas....

I thought about making DS2, a round chubby baby, a 'Little Green Man' from Toy Story to be his 'side kick'..heheh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.