Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are trying, trying to finish! we did start sept 30 and took a lot of time off for holidays, but school has been out in our state for a month and dd is going nuts. also we just had a baby and though i was hoping to be done before that, no luck. we use calvert and have one test that's been done and just not mailed for a while, and one more almost done.

it's really hard to muster the energy to get this done. if we weren't enrolled i know i'd have called the school year done in may! while local schools were still in session my dd loved homeschooling; as soon as her friends were out she hated it and me and everything else.

-sigh-

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Can you finish up the school year with a few easy-peasy unit studies that incorporate english/science/history and math ? They are all over the internet and some are even free.

We school year round and leave the formal stuff for September-February. Come March -August we enjoy a lot of Charolette Mason or Five in a Row studies. Ultra easy and the kids are barely aware we are "doing school".

·
Registered
655 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that you have 18 months to finish the Calvert year. Anyway - maybe you could take a break for a couple of months, and go at your own pace when you come back to it. And if you and your kids like Calvert, you could take the pressure off of yourself this next year and do it on your own rather than with the service. Then you all could enjoy your new baby, and have a more fun, relaxing year.

Calvert is rigorous - I'm sure your kids have already completed their grade levels even with one test left to go. My kids were in a private school with a curriculum that was comparable to Calvert's. Our neighborhood public school is the top in the county - and one of the top in the state of California. My kids were always way ahead of the public schooled kids - and they were pretty average students at their private school.

No worries!

Laura

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, i would not dare to take a break. my daughter suggested that
but no way. especially not with only a few days and one test left to finish. there'd be no point and i don't think that is always healthy. we might be moving or at least preparing to move this time next year so i am happy to stay more or less on the northern school schedule.

we like calvert very much and i do like using the advisory teaching service for the accountability, especially when we move to a different state which might have different hschlng requirements - at that point we might be putting her in school again and i would much prefer just handing a transcript in. i don't find it much pressure at all, we are just having the usual end-of-year drag to the finish line, i guess.

i went to excellent schools myself so i am really appalled at what i see my daughter's peers doing in school here. egad. you are lucky to be in california- so many wonderful schools to choose from!
i love the sacramento waldorf school, and just about everything about santa cruz is fabulous- but this is a homeschooling thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.