Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, I'm getting so aggravated at this professor for my statistics class. The class is clearly copied over from the last time he taught it in the spring, which is fine, but he hasn't fixed any of the errors, removed references to things they did then, etc. Assignments show up on the calendar as due now that haven't been assigned yet.

Then he schedules two chats, says they are completely optional, I can't make the tuesday night one because of my other class, but I get the feeling he must be conveying information in these chats he isn't putting elsewhere because I try to follow everything to the letter and still am confused by things other people are posting. He's cancelled 3 or 4 chats at the last minute. The chat times are not on the calendar. He doesn't create chat archives, so I can't go back and see what was said. Yesterday, at 1pm he posted a notice that the 7pm chat would be a 9pm. Of course not knowing this, I didn't login until 11pm that day and though I could have actually made the chat I missed it. Then I show up dutifully today for the 3pm chat today to find I'm the only one and he posts at 3pm an announcement saying no chat today, check the archives. There is no archive.

The class outline is poorly written and confusing. God, I feel like I could teach this class better, while learning it! Geez.. The one real question I had on the subject I posted and he answered with the same crap he put in his outline which made no sense. I then googled the right answer for myself.

What I really want to do is write a flaming post or email to him but of course that wouldn't do me very good grade wise probably... :p Instead, I'll just bitch here.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I know where you are coming from! I am in my last semester of my master's degree work- all online- from Texas Woman's University. I have not had a really bad prof., but I have had a couple who just barely pull it off. They do not leave comments or give feedback- it sucks. I felt like I was teaching myself for a whole lot of $$$!

Could you write him a nice email about being more consistent about the chat sessions? Otherwise, I would write the head of the department a letter (real paper and all) outlining how bad the prof. was. Best of luck!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I have posted asking chat times to be on the calendar, archive sessions to be created, etc. - I don't want to bother making a big stink, because I'm really doing fine understanding the material, so I don't have a lot of questions to ask in chat, if I did I'd be *really* POed, kwim?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm in an online class this semester that's really tough. The prof, who I 've met in person and is a wonderful, funny, interesting woman, is a total dud online. She gives no feedback, barely answers our questions, and when I've posted saying I'm having trouble understanding the material, she tells me to go back and re-read it
: It's pretty much a self-guided class, which would be fine if it wasn't loaded with tons of technical details! Only 8 more weeks to go . . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had a few online profs that I can't believe are actually being paid. Do you think they make as much as a prof that conducts live classes? I even had a writing class that I had to badger the prof to even tell me what grades I had received on papers, there was absolutely no feedback on my writing skills. It really is frustrating to not have materials updated to fit the current time frame isn't it? I'd agree with the pp that suggested writing an email to the prof explaining your frustration and asking really clearly for what you need or expect. then if things don't improve I'd write a letter to the department head. Good luck to you! I'm glad your understanding the material well enough on your own!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm working on my second class online towards my MBA, and so far my professors have been hit or miss. The first one I had rarely answered questions, the one I currently have is all over them.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The funny thing is he is really prompted in responding to questions, I expected he just got a late start (he said he didn't think the class would start until a week after it did because that's the way it works on the other umass campus he teaches at), I thought okay that's fair but things haven't improved. He does teach classes live.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by margob73 View Post
Do you think they make as much as a prof that conducts live classes?
Yep.

Bad profs make as much as good ones (or vice versa). There's more variation among tenure-track faculty because of performance reviews, but adjuncts are all paid the same, regardless of performance or ability. Occasionally, an adjunct with a completed Ph.D. makes more than an adjunct with a master's (even if the latter is doing Ph.D. coursework or is ABD), but that has to do with degrees, not teaching ability nor class evaluations.

I hope your situations improve, or a letter to the department chair after the semester ends is in order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.