Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn. I have a lot of reasons why I think I want to be done. Some of them are selfish I suppose, but mainly, I just dont want this stress ever again. I have not been able to rely on either one of these fathers for support. I fear more children will take away from the angels I have. I also have bi-polar disorder and everyday life is a struggle for me.

I'm not going to do anything permanent, but I am planning an IUD after. Anyone else considering this baby might be there last?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Count me in as someone who is having their last. This is my 4th and I think we're done. At list point we're debating on me getting an IUD for a couple years and then getting the V or just getting the V after this baby is born. I guess I want to wait and make sure my baby is born alive. I know, a morbid thought but if he isn't, we would have another.
After finding out this one is a boy I thought about trying again to try for a girl, but I talked myself out of that one.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I hear you, Torre. When dh and I split up for awhile, he was still a great dad at least, so I thought if I never met someone else I would casually have another baby with him. How old are you? Quite young, right? You have so much time, and will meet some gorgeous, wonderful man that will, or may not want children. I also know that now that ds is 4, I can give him all the attention he needs, even with a new baby. They just need less and less as they get a little older.

But as for your original question: I think we will have a few more. Dh was at a meeting yesterday and his co-works said something that assumed we were done now (since we will now have a boy and a girl). And dh told them that I wanted to have a bunch more. They all looked at him like he was just nuts. I just think it is so different for everyone.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm pretty sure this will be our last, especially since we're having a girl, which fulfills a dream of mine.

My husband and I are 37 and 33 respectively - I'm not worried about the age 35 "cut-off" point, but we are getting older, and he always says, when we've talked about having more: "I don't want to be 60 at my kid's highschool graduation." I don't care so much about that, but I do know that I want to travel when I'm older. I spent my entire 20's kid-less and partying up, and now I feel like I wasted so much time, and there is still SO much that I want to see and experience before I die (mostly just Italy
). And I don't want to be too old to really enjoy it....

Also, I want to make sure that we can afford any sports and extra-curricular activities that our kids are interested in. I want them to be able to try all kinds of different things so that they can more easily reach their full potential. Somehow I don't see this happening with more than two kids, unless we get lucky and win the lottery or something.

DH has even talked about getting the big V done. Or I might get an IUD, who knows. But I know we won't take any action until this babe is born.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I am 95% positive this is our last baby. DH is beyone 100% positive that this is our last
Financially we want to comfortably be able to care for our kids without stress and to have a 4th would really be pushing it. Plus I just turned 30 and really feel like I want to be done with having babies. I'm not one of those people who can proceed like normal while pregnant, I'm just really tired all of the time and feel horrible for my 2 boys that mom cannot play with them as much. I think I only have it in me to go through pregnancy and the newborn period this one last time. H will likely get the snip snip sometime within the next 6-9 mos. I'm really not feeling sad about it because I truly feel done.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It's funny, I hadn't ever thought about the cost of kids until this last one. When I had the thought to try again for a girl, I actually thought in the costs. I think I just always had this idea of how many kids we would have and figured it would work out.
I think I'm thinking about the cost because we're going to Disneyland this June and just to buy the tickets, 3 day hoppers, is going to cost us $550. That's just for 3 of us, because my youngest is free.
We do want our kids to be able to participate in things. Luckily I have a little while until my dd and this one are ready to do stuff. I guess I should start saving now.
With my first, he did soccer, it was $35. I thought, no big deal, i can handle that. Then you add in the second who also wants to play. That's $70. hmm, it just seems to get to be more and more....

·
Registered
868 Posts
I hope we're not done. Provided all goes well with this pregnancy, this will be our third living child and I think we'd like to have one, maybe two, more. Before we ever had kids, we always said two or three. Now that we have two at home, we'd like a houseful.

As for doing anything permanent, I'd suggest waiting for a while after baby is born if there are any doubts at all. I have a friend who when pregnant felt pretty much done with a husband who was 100% done. The financial issue was a really big deal to them -- they wanted to be able to comfortably afford all the things their three kids would require. Hubby had V done right before delivery and they were both content -- until their daughter turned 2. Then they had doubts. By three, they both severely regretted their decisions and are now (two years later) still saving for a V reversal and maybe IVF.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All through the first trimester I vowed that this would be our last baby. I'm not a huge fan of pregnancy and I'm 36 and worry a lot about the risk factors that increase for older mothers. My husband would love to have another one and for some reason I've been thinking about it more and more lately (maybe there is some crazy second trimester hormonal thing going on?!) So I'm not sure, but my age is a big factor for me so I'm leaning toward being done after this next baby.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
the plan is that this is our first and only. in 5 years we may decide to have another, but all along the plan was to have an only (please hold your comments about how it's mean to have just one - I'm an only)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am 38 years old and having baby #2. I am pretty sure we will be done after this. We never wanted more than 2 kids. I was really happy to learn that this baby is a girl, so I will have one of each. Seems like a good time to stop.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
We never wanted more than three, and honestly we expected to have our third a few years down the road.
DH volunteered for the snip after dd2, we decided to wait a while to see how we felt about a third at some point, and now here we are! So he'll be having the surgery once I'm recovered from the birth.

·
Registered
471 Posts
maybe. maybe not. all depends on if I ever get married again.

I'm open to having more children if I find the right person to raise them with.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am undecided but my age is starting to become a factor. I will be 36 when this one is born and I need at least 2 years before trying for another. This pregnancy is just wearing me down so much more than the first even though it is only 2 years later.

DH did make the comment recently that now we were done. We never really talked about it and I hadn't made any decisions. I figured we would wait and see how we felt in a few years. It made me really sad to hear him say that but I also know that he is not a planner and if I came and said I wanted another child in a few years we would talk about it and he would probably say yes.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sometimes I think this will be our first and last. This comes from money worries and the emotional and physical cost of being pregnant. I just don't know if I can do it again. I always wanted to have more than one, but some days I just don't know.

·
Registered
234 Posts
DONE.... DONE! ALL DONE! lol!

This is #4 for us and dh is looking into the Big V. (he talked about it with #3 but is seriously investigating it this time.)

When I had #3, I went through that pregnancy assuming we were done, but in my heart, I wanted another. Dh was done at that point. I always said I wanted 4. But there is a beautiful feeling of closure - contentment with this one ... I'm done, and I'm content with that decision. I don't want another after this one.

RTT - there is a crazy hormonal factor when the baby hits 6 months old... just wait for it - so don't be shocked!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy72_ga View Post

RTT - there is a crazy hormonal factor when the baby hits 6 months old... just wait for it - so don't be shocked!
I definitely didn't have that when my DD was six months old. I was so sleep deprived I couldn't imagine ever having another!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm 99.999% sure this will be our last. I'm 38 and I'd like to start enjoying my children more and baking them less.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I honestly did not expect to ever have one but here I am! Dh is pretty sure this is it and while I am not 100% I think if we decide we want another we would adopt. I am very pro-adoption and have some amazing cousins because of it, and since my chances for a girl seem super small with DH it might work great for us. I don't think I would ever want more then two, one might just be perfect too.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm quite sure this will be our last. My husband feels okay with that, but also sometimes expresses that he might like to have one more. I feel pretty certain I don't want another after this, though. This is our third.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.