Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/

I followed this diet pretty closely when I was expecting dd and I swear it saved me from toxemia. My FIL died when I was 4 mo or so and the following month was crazy and I wasn't eating well. Not terribly, but not great, either. And I started having trouble with my blood pressure. It was unreal--when I was on that diet, I was great. When I had a rough week and didn't pay attention to my diet, my blood pressure spiked. My midwife stayed on top of me the whole way to make sure I was following the diet, and I am so thankful for that.

Anyone else do it? It's ALOT of food, which is daunting for me, though I try to focus on getting the full variety in rather than hitting all the amounts.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm using it as a guideline. I'm not too strict about it, since I discovered through trying to manage my pcos that grains and beans and potatoes don't work so well with my body. But I have the worksheet on my fridge and I use it to keep track of what I'm eating everyday! I'm trying to be more strict about portion control, since I goofed it up with my last pg. I didn't really pay attention to portion size, for example I would drink 4 12oz glasses of milk instead of 4 8oz glasses. You can imagine what happened!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I looked at it a while ago, but right now there's no way I could follow any sort of diet. I eat whatever doesn't gross me out too much.

I think once the m/s passes (soon, please!), I'll give it a try--the veg version.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I totally dig that they have vegetarian and vegan versions. We have terrible food allergies and things like a glass of milk are a huge no no. And difficult, we don't do soy either and hemp milk (which is sooo nutritious) is really expensive. We just got a Soyabella so I'm hoping to be able to make some of our milks from scratch and bring down the expense some.

Kristen, I also don't tolerate large amounts of grains, but do crave them during pregnancy, so I try to stick to smaller servings of gluten free whole grains that have been soaked/sprouted or soured before cooking (this removes phytic acid, a mineral blocker, from the grains, and I seem to tolerate them better this way).

I'm struggling a little bit with the expense of eating 2 eggs per day. I totally want them, when I eat them they taste SOOOOO good, but that's 2 dozen eggs per week, just for me! I'm a little overwhelmed by that. I remember that I did it last time because that was all I wanted for breakfast, but I didn't also have to cook an additional 2 for my food allergic toddler along side of it, either!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmmm.....One of the reasons that Brewer recommends 2 eggs a day is that they are about the most economical source of high-quality protein available.
.....And at the rate of 2 eggs a day, I think that you use only one dozen eggs plus 2, right?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
add me to the brewer pg diet. i don't do the carbs/starches, though. but pretty much the rest of it, yep. (no liver, either. blech!)

i craved protein last pg anyway and ate about 100 grams/protein daily. ended up iwth a VERY healthy kid - who was 10lbs 11 oz.

I have a feeling this kid will be similarly sized. he sure beats me up enough, lol.

bettyann

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.