Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two cats-brother and sister litter mates. Our little girl Sanibel is absolutely sweet and oblivious and usually has no clue of what's going on. Her brother Rambo is the exact opposite... a bit mean at times, very observant and classically not the biggest fan of me- DH doles out the food and treats and plays pretty rough with him... and named him. He's always been DH's little buddy. Over the past few weeks Rambo will. not. leave. me. alone! I know he can sense the bean (his sister... I have my doubts) and he's like my fuzzy little protector now.... always by my side and when I'm sitting he always has to be next to me or on me which is so not his usual behavior. I'm enjoying the change for now with my new little snuggle buddy, but I hope this doesn't equate to any kind of jealousy of kitty behavior issues when the baby comes.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My male cat has been like this too. He's up my butt CONSTANTLY. I'm attributing it to being slightly warmer than usual, because he's a total heat seeker.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Um, no.

I've read that animals can have that 6th sense and know when you are pregnant, and be super protective and what not. BUT, my 17 month old springer spaniel puppy still LOVES to jump on onto me. He pretty much jumps up and "punches" me right in the belly.

Maybe he does know, and is just jealous......

Luckily I have gotten really good at kneeing him off of me before he makes contact....'cause it's just not good that he does that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
jenrett - I also have a 17 month old springer (mix)! Fortunately she doesn't jump on me (the dogs at the dog park, on the other hand, get a swift knee to the chest when they come jumping at me), but she will lean on me when I let her up on the couch... after 10 minutes of me at a 20 degree angle, holding the both us up, I realize what is happening and move her over. She wants to be touching me all the time. Does your do this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My female kitty I think is pretty clueless, although she is drooling a lot more when she is cuddling with me (she had weaned kittens just before she ended up on my door step). My male cat curls up under the covers with me, always draped over my belly. Last night he lay on the pillow I have behind me and draped his front end over my belly. The baby started kicking where he was lying, and he still didn't move, in fact he started purring more.
My female smaller lab x (who had puppies before we rescued her) definitely knows that I am pregnant. She is a very excitable dog and used to fly over to me when I'd sit down and try and be a lap dog. She hasn't done that since I got pregnant. She is so gentle with me and follows me EVERYWHERE in the house. She smells me often too - I think just to make sure things haven't changed. When we play outside too, she used to like to play tug-of-war with me but she doesn't really anymore. She will bring the rope or Frisbee over to me and drop it now. She's content with me just throwing the toys rather than roughhousing (which she still does with dad).
I find it so fascinating how pets can tell!

·
Registered
374 Posts
DDC Crashing

My aloof, totally independent male cat Gradi is now constantly on top of me. On my belly more often than not. Follows me around, meows at me if he's in another room and I left without him. He has always been the type that would duck away from a pet and now he can't be close enough to me. His brother is completely oblivious.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
When I was pregnant with DD we had two cats and four dogs. NONE of the dogs suspected a thing.

Our two cats were a totally different story. Hermione, our 20-pounder who died last October
, became my constant companion. Slept on or next to my belly and would always seek me out. If I came into a room and she was already ensconced happily on someone else's lap, she would ditch them and head for me. When DD was born, she was just as loving and sweet Evangeline. I mean, she was the best animal ever with our baby girl.

Now that she is gone, our other cat has assumed the same responsibility--vigilantly watching over the pregnant woman in the house.

Two of our dogs died last year, too, and the two that are left could care LESS than I am pregnant. They ARE greyhounds, though, and greys tend to not care about anything until it directly affects their standard of living.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My male dog, Blake is oblivious I think. My female, April is definitely very interested in me. She's never been into me and mostly just likes my DH. She preferred me during her pregnancy and labour though. I say it's definitely a hormonal thing. My male cat, Charcey knew right away and was very disturbed at first. He refused to lay on me and would sit staring at my belly and yeowling. Nice. Now he's come around but he doesn't climb up on me much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.