Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I even am, or if we did, I'm sure he wouldn't sleep the whole night in it. But, I'm newly pregnant and constantly needing to move to new positions to get comfortable and I think I may be waking up ds (28 months) more than he would normally. And when he wakes up, he of course wants to nurse, which of course makes it harder for me to get comfortable!

I'm just beginning to consider having him go to sleep somewhere else to start out with? Anyone else done this??? Would we all get a better night's sleep?

·
Registered
588 Posts
We moved my son to his bed around 2 years old. I was pregnant, too. The transistion actually went really well. We started a consistent bed routine, stories, nursing, etc. The first few months he would wake up quite a bit so I spent a lot of time going back and forth between rooms. Quite often I would end up falling asleep in his bed. But, I still seemed to get a better nights sleep because we only had a queen bed and DS was taking up quite a bit of room. Anyway, over time he went to waking one time a night and eventually he would sleep all the way through the night.

Just a warning, after my DD was born my DS regressed a bit, sleep wise. He went from sleeping throught the night to waking up several times and calling for me. So I was getting up quite a bit again. Between his wakings and DD waking I got very little sleep! DD is almost 3 months old now and DS is back down to waking up once a night. It's always on the dot at 3.30 am. He is still nursing so I just give him a quick nurse and go back to bed. Sometimes I fall asleep in his bed and will wake up when I hear DD wake up in my bed.

Oh, and I would skip the toddler bed completely and just go to a twin or larger. Since I spend quite a lot of time in DS's bed (reading stories, lying down to nurse etc.) there is no way I would be comfortable in a toddler sized bed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
we do this, did not plan it this way but it is just the way it turned out. Ds goes to sleep in his own bed and room (we shared the room until he was one) with one of us reading and cuddling with him until he is asleep in his bed and then either he comes to us or calls me to him whenever he needs me. I think it worked well and I do appreciate the few hours of personal space (I am also 6mths pregnant now, so the space is at premium in our bed
)
I agree with pp about the bed size, go straight to single/twin with a bed rail and maybe a footstool to make climbing in and out a bit easier. We had a cot that turns into a toddler bed and we made it into the toddler bed when ds turned one so he could get out by himself and come to our room and 6 months later he decided he prefered to sleep in the spare single bed in his room and moved there on his own accord. Thank goodness the cotbed was a gift or it would be a terrible waste of money...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Right now we use a toddler bed as a sidecar next to our bed. I think it works well. I didn't like using the crib, it seemed to take up alot more room.
I agree w/ pp, though. If you're moving him not into a sidecar, but into his own room, I'd go w/ the twin or larger. I knew someone who had a double futon in their ds' room. That seemed to work well because then it was a couch during the day and didn't take up as much space.
Just a few thoughts!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. I was actually thinking twin size bed when I wrote toddler bed. What I think I might start with is a twin size mattress just on the floor of our room? Because we have a bunkbed that doesn't separate that my parents gave us, and I might just put one of the mattresses in our room. Or, we have a double bed in our guest room I could put him to sleep in. I may give it a shot here soon. He is such a cuddler that I'm not sure how long he will last because he seems to prefer being against me most of the time. Some nights are better than others....I do fully believe in the concept of the family bed. Pregnancy just changes everything, doesn't it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts