Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I had a miscarriage a month-ish ago (first pregancy, at 12w, sac had formed but nothing developped) and while I've been told to not try again until you get your period back to normal....we *may* have done it unprotected a few times. Not that we were trying but you know what I mean.

But, I've been reading places that say you should not try at ALL until your period returns. Is there a reason other than the fact that you wont have an accurate due date? Or is there something else?

Thanks in advance!
Shannon

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
A lot of the comments about not getting pregnant until your period is normal just have to do with people using the LMP to estimate due dates. I read somewhere that fertility can actually be quite high right after a M/C because your body had been extra prepared for a pregnancy. I suppose it might also have something to do with if there was a problem that caused the M/C that needs to be fixed first.

on your loss. If you are pregnant again
: I hope it is

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
I did...but it was after a much earlier m/c. My first m/c was at 9 w and it actually took a cycle or two before my body regulated. My next m/c was at 4 or 5 w and I got pg right away after this m/c. I agree I think the concerns are more about dating of the pregnancy.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Sorry for your loss mama
I had a very early m/c last month and went on to have a crazy cycle this month, ovulating at CD 26 (a few days before FF said my period was due!) So, I guess there is a small chance I could have gotten preg right after a m/c, I've heard of other moms doing it too. I agree that the reason some doctors reccomend waiting is because they like to have the date of your last period so they can use it to determine a due date.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I also had my first miscarriage at around 12 weeks, and I did get pregnant before my next period. Unfortunately, I also miscarried that pregnancy. My OBGYN felt that the second may have been related to the first in that the there may have been some retained tissue, even though I took cytotec (don't get me started on that
). I was not worried about the due date because I was very diligent with my charting, but I had not really considered the possibility of retained tissue as a potential problem. I was then advised to wait so that my body could naturally slough off what remained. Who knows - I then miscarried my third pregnancy after following the advice to wait and eventually needed a D/C. That said, I know another woman who had a successful pregnancy immediately after a m/c, so it's entirely possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I had a m/c at 6wks, got pregnant right away and lost that one also at 6wks. So I'm not sure what the reasons are behind the waiting, but my doc did say to wait for your next period.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Yes, I did I was 7 weeks preg when I had a M/C did the deed once 2 weeks after M/C got preg again, he is now 5! The doc I seen when I got the preg test was an old fart
and a real ass about it "what was your hurry to get preg again, your body needs atleast 3 cycles before you try to concive again" I told him "we did not want to use a condom"
Then my doc said she recomends 1 cycle but if my body was ready to get preg again so soon, that was great.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
I believe I am in this situation right now! I have to wait til tomorrow to get the results of the 2nd blood test, and perhaps wednesday to see the doc. I am still having my "period" though so I am *trying* to not get too excited (at first I wasn't because I though it might just be the effects of the m/c messing with my temps and and hpt results, something to think about). I still can't BELIEVE I got pregnant again (now I am sure that I am, but I'm still worried about the bleeding-- it's different from my experience last time but of course bleeding was also what led to m/c)-- that's two cycles in a row. I'm just really hoping that it's not 2 m/c in a row!

Oh, and my doc mentioned waiting one cycle, and we got this way pretty much like how you describe! Hee hee. But I think if you chart and know your date of conception, it's all good. I have heard that post-D&C your uterine lining may be diminished and that can make it difficult to implant well, with natural miscarriage I have heard you're more fertile, and I'm happy to take advantage of that, if that's what fate held for us. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.

I m/c at 8 weeks and got pregnant again two weeks later. I had an easy pregnancy and now have a perfectly healthy 1 year old.

My doc also said to wait for 1 cycle... oops ;-)

Lini

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My mw suggested waiting 1 cycle so it would be easier to date the pg, and to ensure that the uterine lining had recovered fully. But by the time she had that discussion with me, I had already been trying and had O'd, so she was too late with the recommendation! When I told her that I had already been trying, she wasn't too worried, so I don't think it's crucial to wait (as evidenced by the mamas who posted with healthy babies from the cycle immediately following m/c!).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I haven't read all the replies, but 2 of my friends and I all m/c'ed within 2 weeks of each other. We all wanted to try again immediately. None of us were able to find any reason to wait for a period, other than the LMP due date thing...

Well, I didn't ovulate until after my next period, but one of my friends did get pg right away, and her baby was born healthy & right on schedule, using her m/c date as her LMP date.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
:

m/c at 6 weeks - got pg right away - used m/c date as lmp (for estimation of due date) and have a beautiful 1 year old dd now.

I have also heard that it is easier to get pg because your body is already "ready" to be pg - so to speak - I also heard that the odds of having twins are higher right after m/c.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.