Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what it feels like. It was brought up somewhere else that it stings the eyes, not that I would consider doing eye goop anyway, but I was just wondring if that is true, and what it feels like in general?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
... but I'm not positive.

We refused it at birth, but when DD was about 6 mos old or so, she had a nasty eye infection that BM didn't clear up at all. Her ped. prescribed the same stuff (they had sent the little tube home from the hospital with us, so I checked the labels).

I'm guessing I tried it myself because at the time I was going through a phase where I refused to give anything to my child that I wouldn't try myself. I don't remember the gel feeling anything besides cold.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used it when I had an eye infection earlier this year. Since my eyes were SO irritated, it burned on initial contact but as soon as it melted I was fine. The infection hurt so much more than the ointment, fwiw.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I figured if I was going to put it in babies eyes, I should know what it feels like. It did not sting or hurt at all, but felt odd for a few minutes. Sort of a greasy blurry-vision feeling.
But as it happens, most of my clients decline eye meds for the baby. It's really just for chlamydia and gohorrhea, and if you've been tested and are negative, and in a monogamous relationship, you can just decline it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I've read that the new erythromycin crops don't sting, it was the silver nitrate that would sting and blur the eyes. Doesn't mean it's necessary or beneficial to put in all babies eyes immediately after birth. I for one know that I don't have gonorrhea or chylmadia, thank you very much!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know the benifit of putting it in immediatly after birth like they do? For instance if they waited until the baby was 24 hours old, or 5 days old would that make a difference in it being affective?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
my dd had pinkeye that would go away and we eventually did the eye goop (erythmomyicin, however it's spelled) for that. She didn't like it, but it wasn't terrible. She did say it was foggy for a while after the first time, but after that, we just did it right before bed. She said there was a quick sting, then it faded nearly immediately, but the vision was what bugged her (she's 6).

I think the old silver nitrate was what hurt them a lot, I don't think that's really used anymore, but ask to make sure.

if I remember correctly, it should be within a hour if you're going to do it to protect against infection.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
I've read that the new erythromycin crops don't sting, it was the silver nitrate that would sting and blur the eyes. Doesn't mean it's necessary or beneficial to put in all babies eyes immediately after birth. I for one know that I don't have gonorrhea or chylmadia, thank you very much!
The silver nitrate stung like an SOB, apparently.

My grandfather was a public health officer when it became standard/mandatory at his local hospital. He figured he needed to know what he was enforcing, so he did it to himself, and said it was goshawful.

I asked the midwife about this at an early visit. She said she and her partners had all tried the ointment they were currently using and reported the same others in this thread did - that it was smeary, but didn't sting.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
No, it shouldn't sting. I still wouldn't use it unless the eyes were infected. Babies see from the moment of birth, and the brain is being wired. When the first thing they see is a blur, my concern would be that it could interfere with their developing sight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.