Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with developing a hernia during pregnancy. I have been reading up on my syptoms and I've somehow convinced myself that I have at least the beginning of a femoral hernia.

For weeks I've been experiencing pretty localized soreness/pain, in my lower left abdomen/groin area, almost a burning sensation. I chalked it up to the whole pelvic symphisis (sp?) thing, but I'm not so sure anymore. For the record, I waitress 2 nights per week, am constantly carrying my toddler around and I've got a pretty sizable belly these days. The soreness/pain/burning is getting worse and worse, esp. when I'm waitressing, of course, and it takes me a couple days to get relatively un-sore, but then I work again. I did speak to my mw about it at my 28w checkup (I'm 30w tomorrow), and at her prompting I bought a belly support belt, but it's apparently not helping (and MAN is is itchy!).

The only thing, however, is that I can't actually feel a *lump* as you normally can with a hernia.

Can anyone speak on this at all?

Thanks & be well,
Erin

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have lots of pain in my left groin area as well. I also have bad varicose veins in my right leg and vulvar varicosities. I am seeing a chiropractor as well. He told me to ice the area
and it really does help. I tend to think that it has something to do with the VV and the round ligament pain.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Could it be sciatica perhaps?

·
Registered
944 Posts
A few weeks ago, at my last check-up appt., the nmw that works with my ob said it looks like I have a small hernia at my belly button. There is a bulge and it's extra sensitive. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
Could it be sciatica perhaps?
I really don't think it is, as I had sciatica with my first pregnancy and that was entirely different...

Meh. No fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I developed groin hernias with my first pregnancy and could really feel a bump/ protrusion, first on one side then both, mostly I could feel them when standing. They were extremely painfull and limited mobility towards the end of pregnancy and they grew quite quickly. The CNM I was seeing did not see/feel them when I was lying down and bearing down but I had a surgery consult and the sergon did confirm that, yes that was what I had. It was really hard to get through the pregnancy but I delivered a 9 lb baby with not a single problem with pushing! I had them repaired after my daughter was born becaue I did not want to go through another pregnancy with them and now I am 32 weeks with the second and not a problem.
The pain that you are feeling is concerning but I'm not sure if you are not having a lump that appears with bearing down. I always felt so much better if I was side lying and the relief was almost immediate.
hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.