Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been using FB's for a couple months and really like them except that after a couple of hours on my baby, the area around the leg band starts to wick and then gets her clothes wet. I haven't ever had an outright leak so to speak, just the wicking problem. The area all around both legs actually feels wet on the outside of the diaper. Anyone having this problem or have suggestions on how to prevent this? Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
What type of detergent are you using? Buildup or softeners can affect absorbancy.

I use Charlie's Soap (100% water soluble, NO softeners) and it works great.

Allens Naturally does this too but is too costly for us....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
I usually change my Dd every two hours or she will over flow her diapers. The other thing is the inserts. Are they completly soaked through or is the pee running off the fleece of the inside of the diaper. If the inserts aren't really wet, I'd strip the diapers, a lot of moms use Dawn dishsoap and wash then really well, then throw them in the washing machine on hot wash and rinse in cold till all the bubbles are gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
I have that problem with certain fb's, like I think the thread is cotton and it's wicking through the thread holes. I really don't see how it could be detergent issues, but people keep telling me that.

but at the time I was using hemp and now I use microterry, and when I double up so the inserts don't get "soaked" anymore I dont' have problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Only when the diaper's on too long. Usually we try to change when she's wet. LOL Sounds like you need more absorbancy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnmom
I have that problem with certain fb's, like I think the thread is cotton and it's wicking through the thread holes. I really don't see how it could be detergent issues, but people keep telling me that.

but at the time I was using hemp and now I use microterry, and when I double up so the inserts don't get "soaked" anymore I dont' have problems.

If there's an issue with the thread holes, run the pockets on a hot dry cycle once and that should seal them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
I get this if the insert is too big - it bunches up in dd crotch, leaving the sides unprotected. All of my FBs are different sizes (even though they are all mediums
: ) and all of my inserts are different sizes (even though they are all cottonbabies
: ) so I have to match them up well to avoid the side leaks. I bought some microterry towels from here and I don't get the bunching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I had this problem every time with Wonderoos and Happy Heinys. I use Thirsties microterry inserts and have not had this issue with FBs. The inserts fit perfectly and I change diapers every 3 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. Sorry for the lack of response from me. I think it may be a combo of the "bunching" issue and possibly reppelling? I usually change every 3 hours and sometimes, the leg openings will be wet and I will feel inside the back of the opening and the soaker will feel nearly dry. At first I thought it was her clothes making their way into the leg openings but I put her down for a nap a couple times with only the dipe and shirt on and we still had this prob. It's funny because it doesn't always happen....or it seems to only happen on maybe 1/2 my FB stash. I will try to strip them and then dry them on high to seal. Would you recommend applying a waterproofer to the leg casing area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nighten
If there's an issue with the thread holes, run the pockets on a hot dry cycle once and that should seal them
I don't think it's that... and this goes to the OP as well - The ones I had trouble with were colored fb's with white thread. Most of my fb's have thread that's the same color as the PUL, but the ones that I had trouble with had white thread, and I was convinced the person who made them ran out of thread and used cotton thread. I suppose it could have been the holes, but I did try the dryer trick, and literally were the only ones I had trouble with.

I was kind of annoyed because I contacted (either fb or the wahm , I forgot!) and they seemed to imply that I was lying to them


But, if I overstuffed those they were ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
What inserts are you using? You shouldn't need any extra waterproofing because the outside is polyester


Try using a microfiber terry on top of a hemp french terry insert. I love Duckybuns inserts! She may just pee too fast for the inserts to absorb. The microterry absorbs faster then hemp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnmom
The ones I had trouble with were colored fb's with white thread. Most of my fb's have thread that's the same color as the PUL, but the ones that I had trouble with had white thread, and I was convinced the person who made them ran out of thread and used cotton thread.
I was kind of annoyed because I contacted (either fb or the wahm , I forgot!) and they seemed to imply that I was lying to them


But, if I overstuffed those they were ok.
jnmom, your post made me chuckle
: I was actually thinking that same idea regarding the thread possibly contributing to the wicking. I just checked all my FB's but all the thread is the same color as the dipe.
I use either Cotton Babies microterry or Thirsties microterry inserts. They seem to work better than the hemp stuff I have (maybe I'm just not doing things right...I've been CD'ing for about 4 mo. now). Do you think a flannel doubler on top the thirsties might help slow the urine and help distribute it into the microterry better? I have some thin flannel doublers from my AI2's. I just don't want to stuff too much thickness in the FB...poor dd's bottom is pouffy enough, hehehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Quote:
I usually change every 3 hours
JMHO, but I think more frequent changes would really help.
Unlike disposables, cloth diapers can only hold so much. We aim to change after at the most 2 urinations, or every other hour just so our children aren't sitting in a wet diaper for comfort issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******00
Thanks for all the great replies. Sorry for the lack of response from me. I think it may be a combo of the "bunching" issue and possibly reppelling? I usually change every 3 hours and sometimes, the leg openings will be wet and I will feel inside the back of the opening and the soaker will feel nearly dry. At first I thought it was her clothes making their way into the leg openings but I put her down for a nap a couple times with only the dipe and shirt on and we still had this prob. It's funny because it doesn't always happen....or it seems to only happen on maybe 1/2 my FB stash. I will try to strip them and then dry them on high to seal. Would you recommend applying a waterproofer to the leg casing area?
Then it sounds like it's a combination of absorbancy (which your stripping and switching detergents will fix), sizing (FB are notorious for not being consistent) and stuffing. I wouldn't add anything to the leg casing area. You never know how a chemical sealant will react to the material and your baby's skin.

GL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it was a detergent buildup/sizing issue. I "stripped" the diapers and started snapping the thigh snaps on the next snap out and so far haven't had the wicking issue. Kinda made me sad because now she is on the last thigh snap available so it will be on to a bigger size soon
(her thighs are chunky monkey) I *usually* like to keep the cd on her for up to 3 hours but if she is really wet before then, I change it. It all depends on the condition of the diaper. She's never had a diaper rash so far. I'm not sure if I could use the method of changing her after a certain number of pees as I don't think I could even determine that at her age (5 mo.) Anyways, thanks for all your great advice and suggestions.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top