Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A child whom I often care for has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus. Well, the doctor says he is 90 percent certain that is what it is and in my nonprofessional opinion it seems like that is what it is. He has not been able to get in for an ultrasound yet though. The child is 3 months old (as of yesterday.) Google searches have given me some information, some of it quite scary and the doctors seem a bit unconcerned which is conflicting. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. It is said that one in 500 babies have this, but in my 29 years of life he is the first person I have ever even met who has it. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience to share. I do a fair amount of care giving.

Thank you so much

· Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, thanks. I was really hoping this question wasn't going to get buried here, it isn't a very common H&H query!

· Registered
7,725 Posts
My youngest son was supposed to have it. At my 20 week ultrasound I was told that there was too much CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) in the ventricles of the brain. We did a lot of research about it. Most common treatment I believe is placing a shunt in the brain that helps drain out the excess fluids. I believe the shunt runs down into the chest cavity so that the excess fluid is just absorbed by the body? Anyways, turns out the ultrasound teck measured the ventricles in the brain wrong and my son didn't have hydro.

Hope all goes well with the little guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.