Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi.  Potential vbac mom here(we are not preggo yet, but planning our second/last).  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>here's my back story: our first daughter is going on ten months old.  I was with Dr. Amy Huang @ St. Luke's for my first.  My pregnancy was totally complication free except for a diagnosis of gestational diabetes after I took the new two hour glucose tolerance test & my one hour test was high(my fasting and two hour test was well below normal)   I got sent to the perinatal associates within St. Luke's & on their strict diet I was almost hypoglycemic & they were detecting ketones in my urine, so I really question my diagnosis.  Anyway, I got the 37 week baby weight ultrasound & they said although she was only measuring 7lbs, they thought her waist was measuring in the 90% percentile, so the perinatal ppl recommended induction.  it failed(duh) and i ended up in a c-section after two days of labor when the baby wouldn't engage with my cervix & i got an untreatable uterine infection.  </p>
<p>Anywho:  after my surgery, Dr. Huang was like- "you'd be a great candidate for a VBAC" & Im like- "what's a vbac" LOL.  I couldn't have been more clueless.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I went in to meet with midwifery of manhattan yesterday for a consultation.  the woman i met with said the same- that I'm a great candidate, but kept saying that because they are at St.Luke's & the protocol for them is the same regarding hospital policy & the word of the perinatal associates, that "their hands are tied" & sometimes it depends on who is the "on-call OB".  Is this a red flag that I will be treated the same way & end up having an unsuccessful vbac attempt?  I am so distrusting now of medical professionals and hospitals- I have even considered an HBAC because I feel that going to a hospital will decrease my chances of success.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>oh yeah, here's the kicker, my baby was born 8lbs 6 oz. hardly fetal macrosomia.  Jeez.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>any vbac moms who had success with them or no success?  LMK.</p>

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
<p>St Luke's is not known for having great protocols for avoiding c-sections with vbacs and any other "high risk" mother.  I'd be happy to talk to you about my planned HBAC in NYC in PM if you want to PM me! <br>
 </p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if you've already decided on a hospital/midwife, but: Yes! I've had 3 vbacs, the first with Sylvie Blaustein at the Allen Pavilion (10yrs ago), and the last two at SLR. Wonderful experiences. Yes, SLR has its "protocols" and they stink--no birth center, no tubs, intermittent monitoring, hep-lok, etc. But I had very good experiences with Midwifery of Manhattan. Sylvie is awesome. When I was considering HBAC, but was on the fence, she was the one the homebirth midwives mentioned for having an in-hospital vbac. It definitely helped that I stayed home (or walking in the park in one case) as long as possible and arrived at the hospital 5+ cm. I also had a doula, and that's a big help, too. I've since moved to NJ, where CNMs cannot legally attend HBAC, otherwise I'd consider it. I've never had gestational diabetes so I can't comment about how "vigilant" they are (vs. others). Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts