Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people are diaper free, Walmart free, TV free, wheat free, meat free etc

So I am asking-- Do you have a weaned child who has never had a happy meal or Applebee's or Taco Bell?

It would be interesting to know how many other folks reject McFood.

I know we are unusual, but we can't be alone. I have several crucnhy friends with kids (7 and under) who are fast-food free and have never had a MCFry. I am just curious if our little (omnivorous) playgroup is alone in the world.

And that includes stops when traveling. We've done 3000k (rt) miles without chain food and we know friends who have as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes, but it's not really a true political statement or anything. i am too cheap to eat out, and that food makes me sick. Plus my kids are beyond picky, they wouldnt eat anything on a mcdonalds, etc. menu. They eat about three things and not on most fast food menus!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SMUM
Yes, but it's not really a true political statement or anything. i am too cheap to eat out, and that food makes me sick. Plus my kids are beyond picky, they wouldnt eat anything on a mcdonalds, etc. menu. They eat about three things and not on most fast food menus!
LOL Which is a political statement really, since tons of kids only like three things: french fries, nuggets, and apple slices dipped in caramel (is that 4 things? And does McD's still offer that?)

My politcal statement is that I don't eat yucky-tasting frakenfood. If I am going to spend our money, I want it to be worth it.
:

But i am
:
: As I know this is more out there than not watching Sesame Street.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My kids don't like sesame street, either. I remember begging my daughter to eat a french fry (it was actually at a local family restaurant) and she just kept refusing, I remember I used to love those (still do). They are just unusual children, I guess. (one of the things they do eat is pizza, however, but not fast food pizza!)

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, my kids have all seen Sesame Street.

But I draw the line at bad food, dangnabbit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well my kids watch OTHER shows, for sure especially today when it's 100 outside and we all have these wonderful summer colds, we have been watching it alot. (whatever is on that keeps them from whining about their colds will do)
But yeah, I hear ya on food, I'm glad they don't eat that stuff. My food isn't the greatest, but at least I know what is in it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
fast food makes me cringe most of the time but we occasionally do it.
I wish I could tell you we never did. If we do any fast food it is usually mc donalds hamburger, plain no ketchup no nothing, just burger on bun.

the reason we do it that way is everything else gives him a rash (MSG on it)

when we took a train to florida and stopped over in richmond there was no mcdonalds and so we had chick fil a....big mistake. He got major rashes on his face there.

so anyway I am pretty turned off by fast food in general but felt sort of trapped by all our travels and felt like I needed to turn to it occassionally.

where did you eat on all those travels 3000+ miles? I wish I had seen your post earlier because if I could have implemented your strategy to avoid fast food entirely on our cross country treks I would be thrilled!! Did you just bring a cooler, plan super well (loooking up exactly which healthy eating establishment you would stop at ahead of time?)

Please help me!!
Erica

·
Registered
994 Posts
when we go on a trip, we bring a cooler with sandwiches, bread, pb j, snacks, water, fruit. sometimes we stop at a restaurant, but not fast food. Then replenish supplies enroute.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
We are mostly fast food free. We used to eat fast food about once a month but I cut it out about 3 years ago. As a family-my kiddos have it once sometimes twice a year. My dh eats it all the time. Blech. Mine do like it, and if I am going to be honest-I love McDonalds cheeseburgers, and they did have some withdrawl angst when I eliminated it from the diet. We also do the cooler packed with our own goodies.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
DS is only 2 years old, but so far fast food free

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Perhaps my DS is too young for me to qualify- but in 3 years, 5 years,10 years- my being a NO fast food/chain food mama is not gonna have changed!
I am a foodie- so chain restaraunts bore me and are gross and unhelathy too. And fast food...never! I haven't in years- so I wont now that I have a kiddo!!!
And DP is on the bandwagon with me!

Oh....he's never seen Seasame Street either...much to my mother's dismay...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
The only "chain" restaurant the boys have ever been to is Subway, for veggie subs with their father after Gymboree class. And they've had bagels from Bruegger's Bagels and Einstein Bros. Bagels on occasion too.
Otherwise I won't even set foot in McD's to use their bathrooms!! We don't do long car trips, but used to travel quite a bit, just by plane. When we arrive somewhere we go to a supermarket and stock up on essentials.

We eat out maybe every week or so, we just go out to regular restaurants. The boys love going for mexican food or sushi at local establishments. We'll sometimes order pizza or chinese, just not from chain restaurants.

When we're out for the day, I'll just pack a picnic. ie. sushi, onigiri, cold spinach, cold soba noodles, fruit, sandwiches, etc.

- Krista

·
Registered
696 Posts
I always swore I would never take my child to eat in a "fast food restaurant"...then I moved to Oregon.
We occasionally go to Burgerville for veggie burgers & when in season, sweet potato fries & pumpkin milkshakes.

Never stepped foot in any other grease-pit.
It's a regional thing so I'm sure not many are familiar w/it.
One of the many things I love about living in the PNW!

Check it out:
http://www.burgerville.com/html/our_...in_Quality.pdf

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
No fast food here either. dd is still young so I suppose that doesn't say much, but I can't imagine taking her to a fast food joint. Especially the likes of McD's, Burger King, Jack-in-the-Box, etc... GROSS!

dp is a different story, but he's a grown man that makes his own decisions. He sometimes stops on the way home from work. :puke

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorker
No fast food here either. dd is still young so I suppose that doesn't say much, but I can't imagine taking her to a fast food joint. Especially the likes of McD's, Burger King, Jack-in-the-Box, etc... GROSS!

dp is a different story, but he's a grown man that makes his own decisions. He sometimes stops on the way home from work. :puke
He is not alone...I have cut way, way back on fastfood, maybe 1-3 times a month...it doesn't really taist all that good either...but

Now that you mention it...I might have to stop by and hit up the Wendy's value meal menu...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
we are fast food free. my boyfriend used to eat it, but he got HORRIBLE food poisoning at taca cabana last year and hasn't had any since. i've been vegetarian for 15 years so it has never been something i eat. our family ate it maybe twice a year when i was a kid, so i never really think about it as something to eat when i'm out and hungry.

·
Registered
658 Posts
We're fast-food free - except, alas, on vacations where we find it difficult to say "no" to well-meaning relatives. I figure once and a while won't hurt anybody terribly....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.