Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully as of tomorrow my dh will have 4 different states to chose his next job from . one of them is VA, specifically fairfax county.<br><br>
we know we want something newer and therefore we think we'll end up in a townhouse. does anyone know which communities/ developments are in the nicest area of fairfax county, and the best school district as well.<br><br>
we would like to live somewhere that is close to places like the grocery store and convinence type stores, but NOT in the heart of a city/ town.<br><br>
anyone have any insight into this area?<br><br>
thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Hi!<br><br>
I'm not sure how much help I'll be--I live in Prince William, the county just south of Fairfax--but I wanted to bump your post up, hoping some of the Fairfax mamas can answer your questions.<br><br>
We homeschool and there is a pretty strong homeschool community in Northern Virginia (if you know where to look), but my husband teaches in Fairfax. We're both former teachers in Prince William and the public school system in Fairfax is so much better; it's actually considered one of the best and most progressive systems in the country. I really can't tell you anything about specific neighborhoods or areas. I can tell you that Fairfax has several Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and a Wegman's, so we do most of our grocery shopping up there. The cost of living and the traffic is seriously disgusting, but I can see the attraction. The county does have a lot to offer.<br><br>
Hopefully some of the other moms who are more familiar with the area will offer their insight...If you were thinking about moving to Prince William, I'd probably tell you to run as fast as you could to one of your other choices, but Fairfax is really a completely different area.<br><br>
Missy

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Fairfax County is a bird like no other! Over 1 million people live in this county. It is very, very, very crowded. If you are in Ffx. Co. you might feel like you are in the heart of a city, even though it is the suburbs.<br><br>
Grocery and convenience stores are a dime a dozen--we have lots and lots of strip malls.<br><br>
I would guess that a new townhouse in a nice part of town is going to be upwards of $500,000.<br><br>
I know Woodson High School is a desireable zone to be in. Even though some of our schools "rank" very well, there are problems with gangs and violence at many of them.<br><br>
And don't even get me started on the traffic........ :LOL

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just moved out of Fairfax Co. and into Prince William co (about 15 miles south). Faifax was nice, it was much too yuppie for my tastes, and congested. There are towns, with neighborhoods, etc...but you'll find mostly townhomes, garden apts and the like.<br><br>
I'm MUCH happier in Prince William Co, but i've always been a "SmallTown, USA" kind of girl. DH still works in Fairfax, he just commutes. It takes anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour for him to get to work, depending on the day, traffic starts and stops for no reason in all of Northern, VA.<br><br>
If you plan on buying in Fairfax, condo's will run you about 300k for a one bedroom, and townhouses go anywhere from 350 in the not so nice areas to a million in the hoity-toity sections.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think we're going to aim for leesburg. it was big enough without being too big and congested.<br><br>
we drove through fairfax county and it was UGGH. WOW.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We live in Annandale, inside the beltway, in Fairfax County. The county's schools (it's one big school district) is consistently ranked as one of the top districts in the nation. All of the high schools are in the top 3% of schools according to SAT scores. As far as townhouses go, there are lots of developments all over. If you are looking to live in Leesburg, make sure you/your husband drives the commute at commute times. It can be nasty and there is no metro out there yet. The older part of Leesburg is very nice, I think. Lots of people have also moved out to Chantilly and Ashburn. Inside the beltway, Falls Church is a nice area. Parts of it are very walkable. You may like Vienna too. Great Falls and McLean are two very upscale areas. Good luck. We moved here from California four years ago, and we like the suburban lifestyle. With no traffic, it's only 20 minutes from Annandale to DC by car. We like to get into the city for the museums (free, mostly) and culture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We live in Burke Center, which is nestled within the Fairfax/Burke/Springfield area. We're probably about 15 minutes from DC, but the Burke area really has a quiet community feel. The schools are great (my toddler is in a fantastic co-operative preschool) and there is very little crime. Traffic is tough, but that's going to be anywhere in the NoVA area.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I love living here, I`m in Springfield. These are the good things about this neighborhood; old trees, (the further out suburbs have clear cutting and that`s depressing, also burning hot in summer with no shade), I have Whole Foods, Trader Joes and many other grocery stores are just minutes away. I can walk to Whole Foods. There are nature centers close by and a 470+ acre park is just across the road from me, absolutely gorgeous and peaceful walking paths in the woods with a lake. There is every kind of church and the very best schools are in Fairfax county. I`m a former Waldorf mom and I am loving my son`s public kindergarten, its all learning through play.<br><br>
Traffic is a challenge, but it never bothers me much. I do stuff in the day or in the evening, not in rush hour & my husband takes the Fairfax cty Parkway to work very early and is not in much traffic.<br><br>
More reasons to love FFX cty, every kind of restaurant in the world, further out suburbs tend to have mostly big chains. If you like ethnic food, Springfield/Annandale/Burke has a lot. Also, I love the outdoors so I`m excited about the Cross Country Trail, a huge walking, riding, horse trail that will connect the top of this huge county to the bottom. It opens soon. Leesburg does have the WO & D trail that connects straight east to Arlington.

·
Registered
25 Posts
when I lived in Prince William the schools were good for elementary , I also home schooled for awhile after the high schools got bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts