Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it when I have my ds get a shot. So far, we've done all of DTaP (started at 6 months), 2 shots of Hib, 1 of Pc. Pretty much done there. I'm not worried about any of the others for now - we'll probably eventually do MMR, split up.<br><br>
But...I also hate it when my ds gets sick. I really, really don't handle it well. And so I'm considering getting us flu shots. Part of the reason I'm considering this is that we'll be traveling for 3 weeks in late November, from the West Coast to the East Coast, to visit family who don't eat nearly as well as we do, and so his immune system is going to take a hit.<br><br>
Now - I know that the flu shot only protects against the 3 strains that they guess at that year, and not against everything. But if it could prevent some illness, even if not all, I'm kind of inclined to do it.<br><br>
I guess I'm inclined to do it. We've never had any sort of reaction at all to a shot, and he's a very robust, strong kid. I guess I'd love to hear from people who have gotten the shot, how it went, why you did it.<br><br>
My brother had the flu last year, and said he will never again not get a shot - even knowing that they don't give full protection. It's a nasty, nasty illness.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
There is a lot of question about the effecitiveness of the flu vaccine in kids under age 5 (among those who want it to work)<br><a href="http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/124384.php" target="_blank">http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/124384.php</a><br>
I think there are questions about whether the poor response could be because of the years selected and the vaccine to flu match. But, given the effectiveness question, that flu vaccines still have mercury, and that flu is rarely dangerous for this age group I wouldn't do it for my kids.<br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline;">But</span> I am getting a flu shot myself and so is my husband. My son has a metabolic condition and I hope this will reduce the chances of passing it to him via us.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We never get the shot, and we never get the flu. *knock on wood* I've talked to too many people who say they have never been so sick as when they got the flu shot. :p No thanks.<br><br>
Besides, my philosophy for vaccines is that they are worth it if they prevent life-threatening illnesses - flu doesn't cut it. If your son is robust and strong, he'll probably have no problem with the flu.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the flu vax only vax's you against 3 flu viruses out of over 100 flu viruses. Even if you get the shot, you can still get the flu. We just wash our hands frequently, don't touch ANYTHING in public (or wash instantly if so) and stay home, breastfeed, and only hang out with healthy folks. DH works in a school and does not get it and is healthy as a horse.<br><br>
If you feel some cold/flu coming on, drink some <a href="http://liamack.blogspot.com" target="_blank">Magic Tea</a>!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
haven't yet decided. I got one once and DS hasn't gotten one yet. He is 2.5 -- He will be going to public pre-school in january and I'm concerned about how sick he will be getting this year. We have gone awhile without any illness here and I have been taking it for granted. It seems he gets sick once a month and then so do we.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I just got mine on Tues -- I'm an ER nurse, so I really don't feel comfortable NOT getting one. Last year was the first time I'd ever gotten one, in the 15 + years of my nursing career.<br><br>
I haven't felt bad .. but my arm is swollen! I had no reaction whatsoever last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts