Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this but my almost 3yr old is having a rough time we all have cabin fever, and I also have a 2 mo. old, so there is some transition going on, I'm aware of that. But i was reading that sometimes kids can become skeltol system can become out of line, and it can cause some behavior issues, and that taking them to a chriopractor for adjustment can really help there behavior? Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
382 Posts
When our chiro adjusts DS, he does his skull, which he says can have a positive affect on his behavior. We joke about him needing an adjustment because he has a "bumpy" head. DS is very spirited, and although it doesn't make him not spirited, sometimes I've noticed he seems more...level, calm. There are also times that I don't notice a difference, though, too.
In the last year, the chiro has been adjusting my skull, too, because of anxiety issues, and I do notice that! I can take a full breath again! I think there is something to it. I suppose it would vary with the individual.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Actually, we JUST came home from seeing our chiropractor. My daughter is 16.5 months old.

My daughter gets HORRIBLY carsick (she'll throw up within 5 blocks from our driveway), so I take her to get regular adjustments. Her carsickness started when she was 9 months old, and has gotten progressively worse. We saw doctors, pediatricians, and even a naturopath, and no one knew what was wrong.

We didn't find out until maybe 4 months ago that the problem was coming from her neck. This was discovered (that her neck felt off) by the naturopath, by a certain type of massage therapy (the name escapes me... widston? wilsdon?). She then suggested that we go see a chiropractor, and maybe a remedial massage therapist.

It turned out that her C1/C2 were WAY out on both sides. With regular adjustments, she no longer gets carsick on every day trips (grocery shopping, mall, etc). We haven't braved driving more than 10-15 minutes in any direction without stopping to walk her (walking seems to ground her), but since the treatments started there has been an almost immediate improvement in her mood, she's been napping better, and she also sleeps better at night. Her attitude towards being in the car has also gone from cranky and tantrums from getting in the car (and fussing the entire drive) to happy and singing/dancing in the carseat.

We need to take her at least once a month though, to prevent it from slipping back out of place. Todays visit showed that there was something off in her lower back as well (she's been walking sort of tippy toed on one foot, but I was unsure if it was just something she found amusing or if there was another reason), but due to molars coming through and not sleeping well last night, she wouldn't let him adjust her.

He did feel that just the one side of her neck is out though (not both), and that spot on her lower back, so we made another appointment for monday. Hopefully she's in a better mood... Normally she's happy to let him adjust her.

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm completely for this type of treatment, for the severity of problems we had.

That's my story.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
We also take DS to see a chiro. We do not go regularly (as advised by the chiro) but we see a great difference when we go. He seems more settled and is better able to sleep.

·
Registered
97 Posts
sgmom-- YAY!
That is so great to hear about your DD's success!

I don't have kids but I just know my mom and I have been going to the chiro for quite some time and it's worked wonders. And even if I learn nothing else from but it besides this: chiropractor can fix almost everything! Our spines are connected to EVERYTHING in our body; so it makes sense that adjustments and chiro. care would be solutions to issues. Many people just doubt its ability, but it definitely works. Much healthier choice than meds and drugs that only temporarily solve the problem.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gfreelishy View Post
sgmom-- YAY!
That is so great to hear about your DD's success!
Thank you, but I don't know what I'm going to do if she starts refusing treatments. She's always allowed him to adjust her without a struggle (although she's not thrilled about the whole thing, she does it without complaining), but this was the first time she flat out refused. I don't know what I'm going to do if she keeps refusing.

Appt #2 in 90 minutes... Cross fingers!

While I cannot stress enough the importance to find a chiropractor that has experience with kids (and that your kid likes), I firmly believe in this treatment (for certain ailments).

Edited to add:

I just wanted to mention that while her carsickness showed it's first signs at 9 months, she had a tendency to look left from birth. Her first visit was at several weeks old.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I regularly see a great chiro and would love for my 21-month old DS to have the benefits, too. I am trying to ease him into the concept by having him in with my when I get my adjustments. I wll try to see if he will lay on the table when we go tomorrow.

Any tips on how to make an adjustment appealing to a toddler?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think it depends on your kid. My kid is going through a "mommy phase" right now and often doesn't even want to be handed over to her dad, never mind some guy who's going to make her bones crack.

If I try to distract my daughter with toys or books, or try too hard to make it seem like no big deal, she seems to get very suspicious and will get even more upset. What works for us is for me to just carry her in and let her walk around the room for a few minutes, looking at the medical books, or making faces in the mirror, even a game of "drop the baby" on the table (it's not soft so I don't actually DROP her like you might on a couch) or if I tell her I'm going to eat her (then "chew) on her arms or legs) helps tremendously. Anything playful and NORMAL to her, would make her calm and happy.

Except for last friday. *sigh*

·
Registered
832 Posts
haha!

Update: We may have to cross toes next time too. We got the adjustment done, but it wasn't much of a positive experience. She fought it like mad, so he gave me a much needed adjustment (while she watched), so afterwards she let me lay her down. When she realized why though, she freaked out again... luckily she calmed down for just enough time for him to get it done before freaking out again (then she was fine), but that was NOT fun.

Honestly, I wouldn't have bothered trying to force the adjustment, but this carsick thing is an absolute nightmare and we have a bit of a drive tomorrow to go see my midwife (she changed locations) and this was our second trip there in 3 days. Hopefully this refusal phase passes sooner than later. Thanks for the support!

Back to the OP now, please!

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I've been taking DD in for issues since she was less than a year old. She'll become generally irritable and unable to take naps or get to sleep at night. Life becomes pretty difficult. This has happened a few times now. She was cured after 1 adjustment but I took her in a couple more times to be sure. She loving talks about "Doctor Frank" her chiro. I hold her during the adjustment and that workes great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.