Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that I'm another person in the "would *love* to go but cannot support the womyn-born-womyn policy". It really sucks because I've heard such great things, but I just could never support something that tolerates that kind of trans-phobia.

Plus, DW hates womyn music, aside from ani difranco. she likes "System of A Down" and that kind of crap. She didn't even know who k.d. lang was until I filled her in, haha! :LOL

· Registered
487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nubianamy
Apparently MWMF is not a celebration of all women. I cannot support that.
Exactly. And I'm sorry, but I would never want to teach my daughter (if I have one, some day) that this type of discrimination is ok. We have lots of trans friends. What if festivals for black women excluded those who are mixed race? I just can't support something that excludes trans women because they don't fit in their definition of women.

· Registered
487 Posts
Sad.
I was excited when I thought it had changed, so we could maybe go next year with our little one.

For those who support the WBW policy and are so tired of debating and arguing - I hear you. But you have to understand, for those of us who truly would like to go but feel in our hearts that discrimination IS what's going on here, we cannot just "accept." I do respect that we can have different views, but I cannot find the policy acceptable. Saying "if you don't like it than don't go" feels really disrespectful and simplifying the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.