Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Hi - I love Michigan. I don't have a problem with the women born women policy. I know this raises lots of issues and I don't even care to discuss them anymore. It's that I respect that it is a privately owned space and the festival owners have the right to design that event any way they want. There are lots of festivals all over the world and each has their own politics. I think they all should. Each of us if deciding to attend should attend the one most in line with their thinking. I love the energy of Michigan. I have found it no where else on earth. I have all sorts of other issues with Michigan, but in the end there is more I love than hate. There is more I get out of going than I will ever get out of not going. I have been a part of the community of Michigan for 11 or 12 years. We love it.

I am going pregnant this year. I will be 6 months pregnant by then. I would really really like to connect to Michigan loving moms out there. My partner and i have been together 10 years and consider Michigan a time to renew and gain center in ourselves.

· Registered
67 Posts
I was always a little unsure how I felt about the boy child policy at Michigan. I have read the notes from little girls that were terrorized and tortured by boys too old to be on the grounds. I also can't imagine having a boy and not being with him, but we went to see it all first hand. My partner and I have both done workshifts there and it changed my view forever. First off, walking there was surprising to me. I didn't know where it was, and yes it is away from everything. Then I got there only to see the boys having lots and lots of fun. I started to realize that who was I to determine what was good for them when they were off having so much fun. My partner was there once for the 10 year old boys closing ceremony. They loved it. They loved their own camp experience. They were each given a rock/chrystal to symbolize each of them. The boys were so moved. Most of the boys had come since birth and they cried and cried that this would be their last year.

When I realized how much they liked their experience, I thought who am I to judge what they think is wonderful. It's just another slice of something different going on at the festival.

· Registered
67 Posts
Maribelle - I agree. I had really hoped to discuss the festival fun here not debate the policy again and again. I am working today on a quilt square - the woman and child square for the festival quilt. I may not even go to the festival this year but my spirit will be there. I am pregnant and being out of air-conditioning is really hard for me lately. I am not sure I can go to the festival this year because I don't know if I can handle being in the elements. Now that is always something I love about Michigan and this year, I start to pass out when I get even slightly warm. I have dreamed of being at Michigan pregnant. I even thought of doing a workshop or two this year. I did two last year and really enjoyed the experience. The concert line-up is amazing and I can't decide if I can be there or not. Maybe closer to the date we can go or maybe i will feel different then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.