Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have paraguard in right now & every now & then worry about getting pregnant. So I was wondering if it has happened to any of you & if so what happened?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've known 3 people who got pregnant with IUDs. I have a Mirena and I've had suspicious symptoms this past week. I took a hpt yesterday and it was - (which is a relief). One of the three people miscarried and two gave birth to full term, healthy babies.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A good friend of mine got pregnant with an IUD in. It was a big shock, to say the least, and quite scary because she had alot of cramping and spotting at first. At about 11 weeks, they successfully removed the IUD, and she went on to have an uncomplicated pregnancy and a second beautiful daughter.
There are also a few ladies in my son's DDC (on another site) who had this happen.
I don't want to worry you, but it's definitely possible.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
you can search my posts and read all about my journey of getting pregnant with a mirena IUD and giving birth to a healthy girl.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies my period is a week late which is abnormal but do have alot of stress now. I feel like my milk supply is low as well but could be from the stress to. I dont really want to know if i am. I think ill give it till the end of the month.

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
There's always going to be a handful of people who get pregnant on any form of birth control. As they go, the IUD is the most effective form behind sterilization. It's 99.4% effective I believe. A tubal is 99.6 to 99.8% effective. So, not much difference

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i got pregnant while i had my mirena in but it was a tubular pregnancy and from what i was told its the most common thing to happen as far as getting pregnant with an iud it was horrid and ill never have an iud again

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
Thanks ladies my period is a week late which is abnormal but do have alot of stress now. I feel like my milk supply is low as well but could be from the stress to. I dont really want to know if i am. I think ill give it till the end of the month.
I would take the test now because you are going to need to have the IUD removed if you are pregnant, even if you don't plan to keep the baby.

Also, how long have your periods been back? After both babies, it took me several months after my first PP returned before I was regular again.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Don't know anyone who got pregnant with an IUD, but I know it does happen...

I do have a friend with an 8.5 month old daughter who is 5 months pregnant with another after Mirena fell OUT!
: So I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've had random spotting with my IUD for the past 8 months, so I don't have a real period or any regularity. I tested just because I had pg-like symptoms and knew I'd need to get in ASAP to remove the IUD.

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
Don't know anyone who got pregnant with an IUD, but I know it does happen...

I do have a friend with an 8.5 month old daughter who is 5 months pregnant with another after Mirena fell OUT!
: So I guess anything is possible.

yeah, I had to have my paraguard replaced when I had it becuase I expelled the first one. That's why you're supposed to check your strings and go to the doc if anything feels off.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My strings are still there, I will pick up a test tomarrow & take it tue am I guess it is better just to know. I have had it back regularly for 7months. I will let u know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
Well I got a test & it was negative! I feel very relieved thanks ladies!
Whew!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.